Purvis Dunk Rating? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Purvis Dunk Rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Quality of opponent deduction, but bonus points for degree of difficulty.

Sticks put back dunk against Michigan State also springs to mind - deduction since it was a put back and not an offensive move, bonus points for significance (late in close a Final Four game), although we lost. Caron's last two points of his career were in a similar vein.

DD had a spectacular miss last year. Louisville maybe. Wish he made that one. He had two nice hammers in the FF, although they'd be less memorable if they were regular season. Nolan against Michigan State just for the total gratuitousness of it - although it was also the moment that signified we were going to the FF.

CV ended up missing a dunk once when the ball hit him in the head before it had gone all the way through the net and popped back out.

KEA, Ricky, Taliek, Kemba and Bazz might not have 5 career dunks between them. Kemba did have one off a steal in the 5th in 5 days.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I always thought Caron's dunk was bigger than it was - just went back and looked. Good dunk, but not for this conversation. It was also Caron's last bucket for us.

Sticks' put-back was not human, but it was a put-back.

The Tony Robertson dunks have always been high on my list because 1) I was there, 2) they were :46 seconds apart and 3) they were hellacious. Especially the second one.

Ray Allen had a dunk at the Carrier Dome that shut the place up, but I've never tried to find it online.

Rodney's dunk gets all kinds of extra credit...

1) Poor Nic Moore looked like me trying to bump Rodney from getting past his shoulder in the lane.

2) Cunningham, 6'11", is so surprised at what's happening, he only manages to hop four inches off the ground and forgets to put his hands up.

3) He posterizes a a second 6'11" kid in Moreira.

And it gets style points for inspiring Amida to hop back down the court.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
2. The ferocity - no Rudy Gay delicacy on this one - he tore that up.

Uhh. Yea, cause Rudy Gay dunks delicately. Right. I suggest you get familiar with YouTube.

Reaction Score
I love the one guy on the bench who realized what was about to happen before everyone else . . .

Reaction Score
Uhh. Yea, cause Rudy Gay dunks delicately. Right. I suggest you get familiar with YouTube.

Actually, that video demonstrates my point. He doesn't monster it - he just, kind of, puts it through somewhat forcefully. He never had the fire in his belly. With his talent, if he ever did, he would have been the best ever at UConn.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Excalibur said:
I love the one guy on the bench who realized what was about to happen before everyone else . . .

Was going to post the same thing. I think it was Pat.

Reaction Score

Juss saying..this guy was 6'11 too.

Great game outta Lamb last night by the way. 14 pts 3 boards on 5/8 shooting in 16 minutes

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
06 against Nova in Gampel, that was the exclamation point on that win.
Yea I was there and was stunned but that jam sealed the game and what an electric atmosphere Gampel was that day in a revenge game...Brown threw it Down!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The best part of that dunk was the absolute joy on Rodneys face as he went back down the court and got back in defensive position. He was waving on the crowd to get louder and had the biggest grin going and was just glowing. Looked like a different person. Its like a seasons worth of frustration was drained from his body and his love for the game just shone through. He was beaming. (I dont know what they showed on TV, but was at game and just watched Rodney for a minute). Made me an instant Rodney fan no matter what happens from this point forward.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
KEA, Ricky, Taliek, Kemba and Bazz might not have 5 career dunks between them. Kemba did have one off a steal in the 5th in 5 days.
That Kemba dunk was more than a footnote, though. He took it right out of Siva's hands and the whole building expected him to lay it in but he slammed it in his face instead. And it was during the last of five in five days. It was an all-timer, to me.

Reaction Score
Inyatkin said:
That Kemba dunk was more than a footnote, though. He took it right out of Siva's hands and the whole building expected him to lay it in but he slammed it in his face instead. And it was during the last of five in five days. It was an all-timer, to me.

Good point. Glossed over it a bit too much. Should have put a quality adjective in there like "memorable" or "statement".

Reaction Score
Thats the type of stuff we were expecting from Purvis after watching that highlight video of his FR year at NC State. I dont know why he decided to bring that back out today but I loved it.
Many especially myself have said he needs to attack the basket more. Physically he is a load to deal with and hes got an explosive first step and should get by most defenders at will. If he and Boat are going to put up around 40 ppg combined down the stretch this team could make its way into the tourney.

Reaction Score
It was 5'9" 160lbs Nic Moore that Larry Brown put on him. Purvis had the insight that just pure body inertia he was past him & in the lane. But the excitement from the foul line to the rim was just not something anyone had seen on film this year. Then RP hits 7 of 7 from the stripe. Injection of confidence by needle - I say.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Actually, that video demonstrates my point. He doesn't monster it - he just, kind of, puts it through somewhat forcefully. He never had the fire in his belly. With his talent, if he ever did, he would have been the best ever at UConn.

I kind of figured you'd say that. And then you go from not dunking forcefully to 'never having fire in his belly'. Ok dude.

Sorry to derail this thread. I give the dunk a 9.5/10.

Reaction Score
to 'never having fire in his belly'. Ok dude.
Hey man - I'm just not a big Rudy Gay fan. I'm much more of a Donny Marshall fan.
That is, I've always favored guys with less talent who bring it on every play than guys who have tremendous talent who get lost regularly.
Gay was a spectacular athlete, and . . . a very good basketball player. I always thought he was soft. No big deal. Just my opinion.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Did anyone catch where his dunk was on SC Top 10?

Reaction Score
Sick dunk. Went on YouTube to watch it again and found this.

Get big Purvis we are going to need you !

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score

And this is the best dunk by a UConn guard, without question. But I guess it doesn't count.

Dyson attacked the rim like that every time he had the chance. As everyone knows he is one of the most debated players on this board but I loved watching his game.

Reading about the explosive athleticism of Purvis these are the kinds of plays I was expecting to see out of him. Just a game or two ago he missed a wide open baseline dunk. Then he makes unquestionably one of the best dunks we've seen in a good amount of time. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come as the confidence comes around.

I admittedly had written Purvis off as far as this year goes but he's certainly been looking better, culminating in yesterday's outstanding performance. He could be the key to an NCAA tournament berth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom