• Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
But UConn is more valuable than Syracuse, Pittsburgh, or Louisville. Yes, if the ACC implodes they may be able to get Duke and some others who fall shy of the B1G or SEC, but they can't afford to wait until 2036 to expand.

The bottom line is UConn is more valuable than the average current B12 member, so UConn raises the per-school value of the conference. So it makes sense to grow.

I think it's more about who to pair with us, and landing on a good number of schools, and geography / travel costs / identity. If the B12 is committed to going East then UConn will be in. If they want to avoid the East, or need an even number of schools, then it may get tricky.
According to who? Because we get paid roughly $500k annually for our football rights and $4M annually for our basketball rights. The numbers would seem to disagree with your post.

pj

Reaction Score
According to who? Because we get paid roughly $500k annually for our football rights and $4M annually for our basketball rights. The numbers would seem to disagree with your post.

From a TV/markets perspective, UConn is the dominant brand in a mid-size (by population) state with no pro teams, plus significant market penetration in large neighboring markets (New York, New England); a national brand in basketball; and has been competitive in football when it was in a power conference.

Compare the B12 properties: only Kansas compares as the leading brand in its state, but Kansas is a smaller state (3M vs 3.6M), and has pro teams and a competing university (Kansas State). Iowa State has Iowa as a bigger brand in a better conference, UCF is at best the #4 college brand in Florida which also has numerous pro brands, Cincy is second to Ohio State and to numerous pro brands, Baylor/Texas Tech/Houston/TCU are of minor significance compared to Texas, Texas A&M, and pro brands, WVU is a state flagship but in a smaller and poorer state, Oklahoma State and Kansas State are like Iowa State secondary brands in smaller states.

Only Kansas and Colorado would be of comparable value to UConn.

The current payouts are not reflective of brand value, they also depend on who you are playing and quality of distribution. In a major conference UConn football becomes far more valuable. UConn's market adds to the value of all the teams it plays.

And if basketball value devolves from the NCAA to the schools, that will add greatly to UConn's value. No other available school has the same upside.

Reaction Score
I think the only way ahead is win another national championship in BB this spring and have an 8 win football season. Resilience is the only way forward. A another year of the Frig the world tour.
Like that would matter to these dopes. We win basketball national championships all the time and they continue to add former Conference USA schools who don't win anything.

Reaction Score
Our problem is twofold.
We're worth whatever the Board of a Conference thinks we are in whatever their metric or outside influence determines.
Secondly the networks who are the gatekeepers have us for cheap right now and they would prefer to keep it that way.

Guys like Yormark can be right in their vision over and over and he appeared to have a great plan outlined. But even accomplished adults have their own vision and it doesn't always include what's best long term. And the older you get the shorter that long term is. What's shocking to me is how little time it appears they will take to approve ASU and Utah over us. It's like nothing really matters and Yormark has just had his legs cut out from under. But Rule #1.

Reaction Score
It wont matter...but its all we can do.

They have their tv money, we have the trophy.
Agreed, I would never brag about money that's in my pocket I certainly couldn't imagine bragging about money that's not in my pocket. My joy in college sports is watching UConn teams win and the greatest joy is watching them cut down nets.

Stability would certainly be nice but I'll take cutting down more nets over anything.

Reaction Score
But UConn is more valuable than Syracuse, Pittsburgh, or Louisville. Yes, if the ACC implodes they may be able to get Duke and some others who fall shy of the B1G or SEC, but they can't afford to wait until 2036 to expand.

The bottom line is UConn is more valuable than the average current B12 member, so UConn raises the per-school value of the conference. So it makes sense to grow.

I think it's more about who to pair with us, and landing on a good number of schools, and geography / travel costs / identity. If the B12 is committed to going East then UConn will be in. If they want to avoid the East, or need an even number of schools, then it may get tricky.
UConn may be more valuable than the schools you mention and may be more valuable than the most recent additions to the Big 12, but clearly UConn is not more valuable in the eyes of the power conference presidents and commissioners. When UConn was not invited with Colorado, the hand writing was on the wall. By the way, much maligned Nelson called it when he said we all were crazy hoping for the demise of the PAC 12. He was absolutely correct.

Reaction Score
UConn may be more valuable than the schools you mention and may be more valuable than the most recent additions to the Big 12, but clearly UConn is not more valuable in the eyes of the power conference presidents and commissioners. When UConn was not invited with Colorado, the hand writing was on the wall. By the way, much maligned Nelson called it when he said we all were crazy hoping for the demise of the PAC 12. He was absolutely correct.
Why would anyone be rooting for the demise of the Pac 12?

Reaction Score
Why would anyone be rooting for the demise of the Pac 12?
Go back in the posts. He was the only one who said the demise of the PAC 12 will lead to UConn not getting an invite.

Reaction Score
Our problem is twofold.
We're worth whatever the Board of a Conference thinks we are in whatever their metric or outside influence determines.
Secondly the networks who are the gatekeepers have us for cheap right now and they would prefer to keep it that way.

Guys like Yormark can be right in their vision over and over and he appeared to have a great plan outlined. But even accomplished adults have their own vision and it doesn't always include what's best long term. And the older you get the shorter that long term is. What's shocking to me is how little time it appears they will take to approve ASU and Utah over us. It's like nothing really matters and Yormark has just had his legs cut out from under. But Rule #1.
The older, the more accomplished you are, the more you realize that the "long term" gets longer, not shorter. Immortality is the objective.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
apparently we may be willing to give you guys a basketball only spot.

yormark must be in a charitable mood. would love to see us help a little guy out!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The current payouts are not reflective of brand value, they also depend on who you are playing and quality of distribution. In a major conference UConn football becomes far more valuable. UConn's market adds to the value of all the teams it plays.

Explain to me why someone would pay $35,000,000 for something they have for $5,000,000? That jump doesn't make any rational sense. Wish in one hand, poop in the other, etc.

This is also the crux of FSU's/the ACC's issue with ESPN, btw.

pj

Reaction Score
Explain to me why someone would pay $35,000,000 for something they have for $5,000,000? That jump doesn't make any rational sense. Wish in one hand, poop in the other, etc.

You get at two key issues: (1) who is the decision-maker? Conferences (ACC, B12) or networks (ESPN, Fox)? (2) where does the value come from? From a team''s brand (eg UConn fans interested in UConn regardless of opponent) or from relationships (eg rivalries, conferences).

If it's relationships, ie if UConn is more valuable in the Big East or ACC than in the AAC, then you can enhance total value by moving to a better conference.

If value is in relationships, that goes both ways: if UConn has a big market in New England and New York, other schools will benefit when they play UConn and get access to UConn's market.

Then, if value can be gained by re-arranging the network connections, then who is going to decide to re-arrange those relationships? And who will capture the profits released by a better arrangement? The networks may have different incentives than the conferences.

Reaction Score
We can officially put to rest any chance we had at joining the Big 12. The fat lady has sung.

We should now look for any conference that will take us for football only. The AAC probably won’t take us back, but perhaps the Sunbelt is an option.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
We can officially put to rest any chance we had at joining the Big 12. The fat lady has sung.

We should now look for any conference that will take us for football only. The AAC probably won’t take us back, but perhaps the Sunbelt is an option.
Why? What would the purpose of that be? What would we possibly gain from moving to the Sunbelt?

Reaction Score
It wont matter...but its all we can do.

They have their tv money, we have the trophy.
the trophys are great but you can't win a trophy if they don't let you play.

at that point at least college sports will be so terrible it's not worth watching anyway

Reaction Score

I posted the reason’s yesterday
First of all Fox pays $20,000,00 not $32,000,00
Second that could recoup the whole amount or more by giving the B1G East a haircut on the new deal without UConn. Fox is more concerned with Big East without UConn.
Third UConn Basketball both men and women’s will have significantly higher ratings vs B12 teams eyeballs means $$$. That’s just a fact those teams have bigger bases .
B12 football gets exposure into an entirely new and huge market with great potential . That could be enormous.
$20,000,000 is Chump change which will cost them nothing and potentially make them more solvent
UConn should have hired a good consultant firm if there are still any out there . I think they’re an easy sell from a longer term perspective with zero up front cost and little down side risk except to Foxes Big East property.

Reaction Score
Go back in the posts. He was the only one who said the demise of the PAC 12 will lead to UConn not getting an invite.
I been saying from day 1 PAC has to hold in order for us to get an invite. It was crazy for anyone to think the destruction of the PAC-12 will be good for UConn

B12 used UConn to get PAC-12 schools to commit. They used us plain and simple.

What bothers me is majority of schools they added are worth less than UConn. Somehow they are in but we are not. It is really screwed up.

Reaction Score
Oh cool, the Big 12 would possibly think about offering UConn as a basketball only. As if they couldn't possibly get more underhanded and insulting. The scumbaggery is so over the top.
We should take it if the offer comes. We would be a member of by far the best basketball conference in the country and football would probably have a scheduling arrangement with them as well. Then we can spank them in football, build rapport within the conference, and likely get an invite sometime down the road. It's a better option than sitting around and doing nothing. We need to be proactive and get our foot in the door of the Big 12.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
We should take it if the offer comes. We would be a member of by far the best basketball conference in the country and football would probably have a scheduling arrangement with them as well. Then we can spank them in football, build rapport within the conference, and likely get an invite sometime down the road. It's a better option than sitting around and doing nothing. We need to be proactive and get our foot in the door of the Big 12.
Can everyone please all stop with this ridiculous idea and stop giving it any legs. We better not ever even consider this option.

Reaction Score
Can everyone please all stop with this ridiculous idea and stop giving it any legs. We better not ever even consider this option.
Why is it ridiculous? Our last chance probably ever to join a power conference will come when the ACC gets raided. If we were a Big 12 basketball member + football partner by the time that happens we would definitely have the upper hand over these ACC schools because we will have an existing relationship with the Big 12 already. If the basketball program remained elite in the Big 12 and we continued to build a good football program under Mora with some wins over Big 12 schools under our belt, then I definitely think we would get added by them eventually.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom