Portal Shopping List | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Portal Shopping List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Kiki from Stanford enters the portal, the UCONN coaching staff and players better be all over that! Ever college program not named Stanford would want her on the team. That's a situation that you just can't pass up and you have to say sorry ___ (whoever gets scooted on down the line on the bench), we're trying to win a title here, not validate feelings. Her demeanor, her play and everything about her screams UCONN!
Yep! At all cost.

Reaction Score
I still can't believe she was at Syracuse. I don't know if I'm just getting old, but I can't even remember watching her play there.

UConn beat that team in the second round of the tournament a few years ago. I believe Geno was sick(?) and CD put on a coaching clinic.

Reaction Score
Would you give Cam Spensor back. It is always smart to see what is available

Thank you, they had actual proof on campus of how important a portal player who fits can be. It would be ridiculous not to attempt to try to find an impact experienced player. And it’s not like a couple of the players who weren’t healthy haven’t been in street clothes at other times in their career.

Reaction Score
Oh, no way. I've been there before! Actually, a good friend of mine used to go there quite often after work. It's in a good spot downtown. I didn't know it was owned by a fellow BYer!! :eek:
STOP IT! LOL!

Yup, I'm here-all the time.

Reaction Score
If Beers or Iriafen enter the Portal, they should be targets. Chen would be a good get if it fits but otherwise UConn has a strong roster, but Geno probably has PTSD like the rest of us and can't afford to have options on the bench that can't contribute.

Reaction Score
Geno may limit Caroline Azzi and Aubrey to keep them healthy. I don't know what that would look like if they are completely cleared to play. With all the guards I think Allie will not see a lot her freshman year but by year 2 find her spot. A player like Kiki gives us the length and speed to match up with a player like Watkins. I said it before but a proven inside player is what we lack. None of our front court players have proven they will dominate. He has one more shot with Paige so load up and go for it!
If Azzi isn't 100% ready at the start of the season, I think you'll see Ziebell more than you think........she's a three-point shooting savant and players that can score consistently from outside usually get a fair amount of court time......

Reaction Score
Natalija Marshall (6’5 C/Notre Dame) has entered the transfer portal:
2023-24 stats 5.0 PTS | 3.7 RBS | 1.0 BLK

Reaction Score
Heck I wouldn't mind if UConn picked up one of Paige's teammates in HS that was their center. Left the Arizona team earlier this season and would be available if she wanted to play.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
If Azzi isn't 100% ready at the start of the season, I think you'll see Ziebell more than you think........she's a three-point shooting savant and players that can score consistently from outside usually get a fair amount of court time.....
Like the sound of tht....this team has the firepower...how's her defense thts whts gonna determine her minutes

Reaction Score
Heck I wouldn't mind if UConn picked up one of Paige's teammates in HS that was their center. Left the Arizona team earlier this season and would be available if she wanted to play.
She’s in medical school there and wanted to be able to focus more on that. That ‘ at least, was her initial reason for leaving the team. Later she said the team atmosphere was “toxic” but then clammed up and as far as I know has said nothing else.

Reaction Score
What he said. Olsen, Chen or any other instant starter at a P5 program is not coming to UConn... nor should we want them. Depth up front is our achilles heel - there is plenty of size already, but it's all very much unproven size of unknown potential.
  • Jana hasn't played a minute of college ball and is the recipient of the same hype heaped upon Ayanna, Ice and Amari... 'nuff said.
  • Ayanna and Ice - inconsistent freshmen seasons with some highs, alot more lows and even more questions. Haven't lived up to their initial pre-UConn expectations.
  • Strong is a wing and hasn't played a minute either. She has some size, she's a adequate rebounder, but she's not playing the post.
  • The rest of the 6'1 and 6'2 "size" consists of Caroline, Audrey and Ice - good rebounders for their size, but not playing the post.
That leaves six guards: Paige (proven star), Azzi (proven star), Ash (proven starter), KK (proven starter) and the two incoming freshmen.

With 2 open roster spots which group looks like they need the most help? Front court or back court?
Both. - Shop for both. We saw going small got UCONN to Final 4 and seconds to the Finals with Paige as the PF. Basketball players are best to get - very good ones not just Big for Big's sake.

And -- Cheli is also a 4. For example- you can have Sarah on Offense play the 3 while Cheli could be part of the high-low at 4. Then they switch on Defense. I know some will mention South Carolina -- well for 1 thing UCONN won't be playing South Carolina 30 times. And if Caroline is healthy she has played the 4. And when Aubrey comes back she has also played the 4.

And if we don't count Caroline or Aubrey able to play much then Azzi is questionable to a degree - we don't know how healthy she is. Since her H/s soph year Azzi has missed a ton of games due to injuries.

I am not arguing. They can use 2 bigs but they can also use a wing/guard if there are questions with Azzi as an example and if Geno is more confident with Jana and Ayanna being healthy – and Brady ofc can play. UCONN wants to play fast. And Big they get has to be beneficial to play fast.

Reaction Score
For example- you can have Sarah on Offense play the 3 while Cheli could be part of the high-low at 4. Then they switch on Defense.
I agree with your whole post, but I’m highlighting this bit because I think it’s worth considering a style of play we might be well suited for. Morgan played pg at Mitty HS and was the tip of the full court press they ran. Which tells me she’s especially good at playing defense between the arcs. She can also be at the high post on offense, but Sarah may be even better suited to that role. Letting Morgan play low post/wing on offense with Sarah at the high post, and switching them on defense would shorten the court for each of them and also have them in position for the transition game they’ll create. Morgan slashing to the rim and along the baseline and ball-hawking o-boards with Sarah shooting 3s and passing from the top, and ruling the low post and the d-boards sounds like a great partnership.

Reaction Score
If Beers or Iriafen enter the Portal, they should be targets. Chen would be a good get if it fits but otherwise UConn has a strong roster, but Geno probably has PTSD like the rest of us and can't afford to have options on the bench that can't contribute.
If Beers or Iriafen enter the Portal, they should be kidnapped. FIXED. :p

Reaction Score
ALL this shopping and it looks as if...I'm getting another tie and socks. But...I do thank you.

Reaction Score
I believe Bueckers has started following Raegan Beers on twitter. Beers has not officially entered the portal, but I’d expect her to in the next day or two.
Paige just wants to replace her masked friend with another.

IMG_0783.jpeg

Reaction Score
I agree with your whole post, but I’m highlighting this bit because I think it’s worth considering a style of play we might be well suited for. Morgan played pg at Mitty HS and was the tip of the full court press they ran. Which tells me she’s especially good at playing defense between the arcs. She can also be at the high post on offense, but Sarah may be even better suited to that role. Letting Morgan play low post/wing on offense with Sarah at the high post, and switching them on defense would shorten the court for each of them and also have them in position for the transition game they’ll create. Morgan slashing to the rim and along the baseline and ball-hawking o-boards with Sarah shooting 3s and passing from the top, and ruling the low post and the d-boards sounds like a great partnership.
So many exciting things they can do - and could have done in the past - as long as they could have been and hopefully will be "healthy."

One thing regarding Sarah, when I think of high post it means you are also looking to dump the ball inside. You really can't do that if you are at the 3pt line. So, having Sarah play a lot of high-low in which she is the high probably takes away from her ability to take 3's.

And if she is a threat to take 3's - she is a natural mismatch because 6'2 is a terrific height to be taking 3's.

Reaction Score
I don’t get this sentiment. “Terribly undersized”? The list you just rattled off is a very large team not an undersized one. It’s true that we don’t have a second 6’5” player to backup Jana. But we have a lot of big strong kids. 6’5” 6’3” 6’2” 6’2” 6’2” 6’2” is a very large team — larger than almost any team we’ll meet.

I’d like to see a backup post player besides Ice for Jana. But that’s not a desperate need. Remember, we just made the final four with only Aaliyah and Ice. That’s it. It’s time for folks to reflect on who Geno is and what he’s built here. One thing we ought to have learned is that Geno can run a small team — Paige Azzi KK Ash and Sarah — and press opponents relentlessly. He now has the roster for that. Or he can run a big team, with Jana Sarah Paige Aubrey and Morgan on the floor at once and not sacrifice speed. Think of the possibilities!!!
Some of you people have to realize that we need another big to compete for a national title. We may be ok to compete for a Big East title.

Reaction Score
Normally I would agree 100% with the sentiment that we should build through recruitment. But the injury history of so many of our players makes me anxious. Can we realistically think that Azzi, Carol, Aubrey, and Ayanna will be reliably available and at the top of their game. Azzi has struggled to maintain the shooting touch she had as a recruit and freshman. To me that’s representative of the challenges faced by athletes recovering from major injury. Even Paige took awhile to get back up to speed. These four wonderful talented young athletes are almost a third of the team. I think UCONN would be gambling if it did not take the opportunity to deepen the bench. Probably don’t need more shooting guards- but having another solid point guard that could split time with KK and prevent the zebras from blocking our defensive intensity would be a nice luxury. I also like the previously mentioned idea of adding another post so we can play fast with fresh legs.
As a former soccer coach & a parent of an athlete who suffered multiple concussions (not all due to sports) I hope for her health’s sake that Caroline doesn’t ever play a contact sport again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom