Player Updates | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Player Updates

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am probably biased, because Azzi is my local girl, and I've been watching her since she was in 9th grade, but ...

Azzi was the only sophomore to win any major high school NPOY awards (she won 2 of 4). Her junior year, she was recovering from injury and some skinny kid from Minnesota took all the awards. Azzi's senior season was essentially eliminated by Covid.

Last season we beat some good teams, including two teams that beat us this year: Texas, NC State, Duke, and Iowa. In those 4 games, Azzi averaged 25.5 ppg and shot 53/47/100.

Here's a sample of what Azzi did in 10th grade, winning the D.C. City Championship (folks who saw Princeton this year may recognize Ellie Mitchell on the Georgetown Visitation team). Azzi had 38. The entire Visitation team also had 38. That's still the arena scoring record.

When Azzi is healthy (regrettably, she appears to have her mother's knees), she is outstanding. As Geno noted about both her and KML, she can break games open in 1-2 minutes.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I, too, am partial toward Azzi. I once lived in Arlington, VA, but I can't claim local bias since that was probably before Azzi was born. Or at most in swaddling clothes.

Reaction Score
I am probably biased, because Azzi is my local girl, and I've been watching her since she was in 9th grade, but ...

Azzi was the only sophomore to win any major high school NPOY awards (she won 2 of 4). Her junior year, she was recovering from injury and some skinny kid from Minnesota took all the awards. Azzi's senior season was essentially eliminated by Covid.

Last season we beat some good teams, including two teams that beat us this year: Texas, NC State, Duke, and Iowa. In those 4 games, Azzi averaged 25.5 ppg and shot 53/47/100.

Here's a sample of what Azzi did in 10th grade, winning the D.C. City Championship (folks who saw Princeton this year may recognize Ellie Mitchell on the Georgetown Visitation team). Azzi had 38. The entire Visitation team also had 38. That's still the arena scoring record.

When Azzi is healthy (regrettably, she appears to have her mother's knees), she is outstanding. As Geno noted about both her and KML, she can break games open in 1-2 minutes.

Thanks for these video links. I’d seen some compilations from the first one elsewhere but haven’t been able to find it in awhile. Yes, that’s Ellie Mitchell. And did I spy Jakia Brown-Turner too?

Also, it’s easy to forget just how dominant a force Azzi can be on the court. She can carry a team just as well as Paige can. Last season, the NC St game, the Texas game, the Iowa game were delightful to watch just to see Azzi feeling her power on the court.

I know it was not intended, but I can’t quite bring myself to forgive KK Bransford for shoving Aaliyah into Azzi’s knee. All of which means I hope the Paige and Azzi show gets rolling next fall and gives ND a beat down like no other next season.

Reaction Score
Thanks for these video links. I’d seen some compilations from the first one elsewhere but haven’t been able to find it in awhile. Yes, that’s Ellie Mitchell. And did I spy Jakia Brown-Turner too?

Also, it’s easy to forget just how dominant a force Azzi can be on the court. She can carry a team just as well as Paige can. Last season, the NC St game, the Texas game, the Iowa game were delightful to watch just to see Azzi feeling her power on the court.

I know it was not intended, but I can’t quite bring myself to forgive KK Bransford for shoving Aaliyah into Azzi’s knee. All of which means I hope the Paige and Azzi show gets rolling next fall and gives ND a beat down like no other next season.
Unfortunately, only been able to see the best of Azzi for about three or four games in two years
Hopefully she can get back to that

Reaction Score
If he is not kidding than he/she doesn't watch anyone but the ball handler. Shades defense is getting better and better, and I have complete confidence in this girls upside defensively, as well as offensively. She is SOLID.
I see Shade gaining confidence on defense and getting closer and closer to her man. I feel like she started the season giving too much space but has been reducing that space little by little.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Brown-Turner was in the NC State game. She, along with Madison Scott (Ole Miss) and Aaliyah Matharu (Miss State, Texas, Florida), were on a loaded McNamara team that could never get by Azzi's SJC game. Even when Azzi had an off-night, she made key buckets in crunch time to defeat McNamara.

Reaction Score
Azzi’s quick release 100% translated to games. I think people have forgotten what Azzi looked like when she played. Azzi is also a much better defender than Shade. Shade kills us on that end imo.
Wow! “That’s way hash, Tai.”
l don’t doubt that a fully healthy Azzi will be higher on the depth chart than Ash but to say that Ash “kills us on that end” (defensively) is just not correct. I think she’s done very well on both ends of the court! One thing I love about Ash is how she immediately and instinctively boxes out when a sho goes up. Again, I’m not a defensive expert but I haven’t seen anything to complain about in Ash’s defense.

Reaction Score
Brown-Turner was in the NC State game. She, along with Madison Scott (Ole Miss) and Aaliyah Matharu (Miss State, Texas, Florida), were on a loaded McNamara team that could never get by Azzi's SJC game. Even when Azzi had an off-night, she made key buckets in crunch time to defeat McNamara.
It seems like Azzi has been spoiling Jakia’s hopes for a long time on a couple of levels.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It seems like Azzi has been spoiling Jakia’s hopes for a long time on a couple of levels.

Absolutely! Jakia left NC State (which beat us this year) and moved to Maryland (which lost badly, even though Azzi didn't play).

Reaction Score
Azzi’s quick release 100% translated to games. I think people have forgotten what Azzi looked like when she played. Azzi is also a much better defender than Shade. Shade kills us on that end imo.
The best ability is availability. Unfortunately, Azzi has not been available that often in her career.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The best ability is availability. Unfortunately, Azzi has not been available that often in her career.

Regarding availability, Maya Moore missed 1 game (for precautionary reasons) in 16 seasons. Cal Ripken and Lou Gehrig would be proud.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yeiiowing

Top Bottom