Player Updates | The Boneyard

Player Updates

Reaction Score
Hey all-

As the season winds down and some of our players are months removed from surgeries, I'm wondering if anyone knows where our injured players would be in the rehab/recovery process?. There is quite a bit of information on the recovery timeline of an ACL injury, so I sort of, in a round about way, know where Aubrey/Azzi could be in their process, but what about Ayanna and Jana? I'm not really asking about the players specifically, but more about the norms for those injuries themselves for an elite athlete?

Reaction Score
I know almost nothing beyond generalities. The usual timeline would have Aubrey and Ayanna in a position to return in January (or early February) while Azzi could be back in December and Jana could be ready in November. As for Caroline, I hesitate to make any prediction, but I’d love to see her play whenever she’s ready.

What this means is the core team available for our OOC schedule is likely to be youthful and full of beans: Paige Ash Ice KK Q Jana Morgan Allie and maybe Sarah. Oh, to be young and in Storrs next November! This is one more reason why I’d be surprised if Sarah can resist the chance to become a Husky.

Imagine having two extra months to make your bones with Geno before the veterans return. And then the cavalry begins to arrive. First Azzi then Ayanna, then Aubrey and maybe Caroline. We may take a few losses next fall if Geno schedules as usual. But next spring could be amazing!

And I sure hope Geno tells all the youngsters not to play in any summer leagues abroad. Just come to Storrs early, get a head start on classes and have fun together in the Werth center.

Reaction Score
From my limited knowledge Achilles surgery takes from 6-9 months for recovery, but up to a year depending on severity. I saw Jana shooting with Ash in a clip on Twitter the other day and she was also helping run warm-ups during the BET. I think she will be ready come next season. Ayanna also had a surgery with a similar timeline, but it looks like they're doing well on the recovery process so I expect her to be ready for the fall. She's truly a gifted athlete and I miss seeing her run the court, I just know Jemelle can't wait to really develop her game now that Ayanna won't be in pain.

I think Azzi and Aubrey are going to be coming back at similar times based on the natures of their injuries.

Caroline is truly the wildcard for me. She could be back at the beginning of the season or she could be a day to day call.

Reaction Score
I expect next years team to be one of Uconns best, even with Nika and Aaliyah leaving. We have Jana and KK to take their place. I STILL say Jana will be a surprise when it comes to scoring. The rebounds will be there for her. Ashlynn is now definitely a starter, she has scored 390 points,. I predicted she would score over 400. Ice is also progressin into the player she can be. aUconn will have 14 solid players capable of starting the game.This years team will be a blue print for next years team to emulate and improve on. Uconn's stamina and grit and determination will show the new freshmen what Uconn basketball is all about. Uconn will have 2 starting fives next year and a bench that will contribute. BUT, let's take care of this year first. GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Putting aside the insane timelines that pro athletes sometimes meet, typical ACL & achilles recovery takes one year, assuming no additional issues. For instance, if one "only" tears an ACL, that recovery is a bit simpler than if other ligaments and/or cartilage were affected. No idea on the procedure Ayanna had for patellar tendonitis. As Azzi and Aubrey have now had > 1 ACL injury, I'm betting that they take the whole process slow and steady.

The upside for the players is that they have constant access to rehab, unlike some of us mere mortals, who may have been limited based on insurance coverage, etc. ;)

Reaction Score
Research shows a full return to play at 9 months is more than ok if the rehab goes well and hits all the right check points. Let's see!

Reaction Score
Well, Olivia Miles of ND was injured late last season, and was out this entire year. So there's that.

Wasn’t she injured in March? And I don’t think she had surgery until April.

Reaction Score
Jana will be ready for the start of the season. She was doing pre-game at the big east championship. I believe she’s been doing that for a while.

I think Ayanna and Azzi will be ready for the beginning of the season as well. Aubrey I would think January.

The big question mark is Caroline. She’s takin this year off to rest and get her head straight. Hopefully it will help her recovery and be ready for the beginning of the year.

Finally, amari. I’m gonna assume she’ll be ready to go at the beginning of the season as well.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Well, Olivia Miles of ND was injured late last season, and was out this entire year. So there's that.
Wasn’t she injured in March? And I don’t think she had surgery until April.
I've read it was "ACL surgery" and "major knee surgery", so if it was more than just the ACL, it makes sense that she needs at least a year to recover.

Reaction Score
When Stewie tore her achilles, she did it in March, surgery in April, and then played in a USA basketball game in Hartford in January of 2020. So, her return to play was about 9 months? It's weird, because isn't an achilles worse(by athlete standards) than an ACL, but it seems as though they come back quicker.

Reaction Score
I expect next years team to be one of Uconns best, even with Nika and Aaliyah leaving. We have Jana and KK to take their place.
Jana and KK are NOT Aaliyah and Nika. The starting 5 will not be as strong as this year, but the bench will be deeper assuming there's no repeat of the injury disasters of the past 2 years. The team in sum total may be better simply by being able to run waves of starting caliber players at the opponent.
Ashlynn is now definitely a starter, she has scored 390 points,. I predicted she would score over 400.
If she only goes from 390 to 400, we've got a problem. As the presumptive second scorer next year, it would be nice to get 15 pts/game from her which is 525 points on a 35 game schedule.
Ice is also progressin into the player she can be.
Ice has shown glimpses of what is possible. I'll buy the hype when I see it on a sustainable basis. The BE Tourney was a nice preview, but it's simply not there the majority of the time when she comes off the bench. Geno has said a million times that he needs to know what he's going to get night in and night out from his players. She's not there.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What I do know is that medical procedures improve year to year, technique, equipment, knowledge of the recovery process improves year to year, and 'average' recovery times improves a little year to year.

Pro athletes and college athletes are not regular people and the difference in care between plebs and college/professional athletes is huge, but the difference between high level college and pro is minimal.

The difference in the actual injuries and the individuals is going to be the cause of the biggest difference in recovery times, rather than the difference between pro and college athletes treatments, and that is knowledge we just do not have and never will.

If everyone is 'average', I would expect all of them back in game shape by Dec 1, with a few back for Sept 1, and a few more back by Nov 1.

And yeah - concussions don't have averages that mean anything.

Reaction Score
A lot depends on if you just partially tore/ruptured your Achilles or completely tore it in half. Same with torn knee ligaments. Is it a partial tear or complete tear? Also different people heal differently. So hard to make any predictions. I guess we will just have to wait for a report and more likely just have to wait and see.

Reaction Score
I expect next years team to be one of Uconns best, even with Nika and Aaliyah leaving. We have Jana and KK to take their place. I STILL say Jana will be a surprise when it comes to scoring. The rebounds will be there for her. Ashlynn is now definitely a starter, she has scored 390 points,. I predicted she would score over 400. Ice is also progressin into the player she can be. aUconn will have 14 solid players capable of starting the game.This years team will be a blue print for next years team to emulate and improve on. Uconn's stamina and grit and determination will show the new freshmen what Uconn basketball is all about. Uconn will have 2 starting fives next year and a bench that will contribute. BUT, let's take care of this year first. GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!
We have zero idea of who starts next year, other than Paige. We don’t know who will be here, how healthy they’ll be, and what new faces we’ll have. I’d pencil in Azzi as my only guess.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
We have zero idea of who starts next year, other than Paige. We don’t know who will be here, how healthy they’ll be, and what new faces we’ll have. I’d pencil in Azzi as my only guess.
And Geno doesn't have any more of an idea about that (who starts) than you do.

Reaction Score
Jana and KK are NOT Aaliyah and Nika. The starting 5 will not be as strong as this year, but the bench will be deeper assuming there's no repeat of the injury disasters of the past 2 years. The team in sum total may be better simply by being able to run waves of starting caliber players at the opponent.

If she only goes from 390 to 400, we've got a problem. As the presumptive second scorer next year, it would be nice to get 15 pts/game from her which is 525 points on a 35 game schedule.

Ice has shown glimpses of what is possible. I'll buy the hype when I see it on a sustainable basis. The BE Tourney was a nice preview, but it's simply not there the majority of the time when she comes off the bench. Geno has said a million times that he needs to know what he's going to get night in and night out from his players. She's not there.
I disagree with your total analysis as there was as much conjecture as my analysis. You do not know that Jana and KK will be comparable to Aaliyah and Nika. I take the positive thoughts because It makes me feel better. Ashlynn will definitely be a starter and will deliver 500 to 600 points next year as with her whole attitude on BB and Uconn, she WILL be way more productive next year in EVERY catagory of statistics. Ice lost a whole year of playing and she was tentative in he play,but came to get into the Uconn concept of play and I expect huge impprovement in her play.Her improvement gives me expectations that Ice will be the player Geno thought she would be when he picked her to come to Uconn. To sum up........... I NEVER post unless it's positive. IF i have any doubts, I keep them to myself. I am the "it's possible" guy and you cannot say I'm wrong as you don't know any more about the future than I do. So, have a nice evening and enjoy the rest of the Tournement .. GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
I know almost nothing beyond generalities. The usual timeline would have Aubrey and Ayanna in a position to return in January (or early February) while Azzi could be back in December and Jana could be ready in November. As for Caroline, I hesitate to make any prediction, but I’d love to see her play whenever she’s ready.

What this means is the core team available for our OOC schedule is likely to be youthful and full of beans: Paige Ash Ice KK Q Jana Morgan Allie and maybe Sarah. Oh, to be young and in Storrs next November! This is one more reason why I’d be surprised if Sarah can resist the chance to become a Husky.

Imagine having two extra months to make your bones with Geno before the veterans return. And then the cavalry begins to arrive. First Azzi then Ayanna, then Aubrey and maybe Caroline. We may take a few losses next fall if Geno schedules as usual. But next spring could be amazing!

And I sure hope Geno tells all the youngsters not to play in any summer leagues abroad. Just come to Storrs early, get a head start on classes and have fun together in the Werth center.
It is always a "wait and see" when post surgical recovery is the issue. I would just like AZZI to have one full year, free of something nagging her. Even though, we must be aware, that the world has passed her by, in a way. When she arrived, no one had her accolades as a three point shooter. Now, there must be 25 kids in the Big Dance who shoot just as well from the arc. So we'll see how good shooting urad she can still be. Aubrey will be Aubrey, if we are lucky. A player who does off the bench and disrupts things. Creates fast breaks. Rebounds. Jana is a complete mystery. I see huge "BIGS" appearing all throughout the NCAAs and most are really good. Where did they come from?

Reaction Score
When she arrived, no one had her accolades as a three point shooter. Now, there must be 25 kids in the Big Dance who shoot just as well from the arc.
It’s true that perimeter shooters seem to be growing on trees these days. But Azzi was also distinctive for how quick her release was. Most of the shooters we see now require help getting their shot off. Let’s hope Azzi retains this distinctiveness. She also is one of the few jump shooters from 3, like Paige and Caitlin. Mostly you see kids shooting standing set shots from there.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Now, there must be 25 kids in the Big Dance who shoot just as well from the arc. So we'll see how good shooting urad she can still be.
If this is not deliberate hyperbole, can you please name some names (5 if not 25)? Shooters who are hitting better than 45% from 3 over the entire season, not just a couple of games in the NCAA tournament. That group would not include Caitlin Clark, by the way.

Reaction Score
I have used my INK pen for ASH!
She’s been great for us this year, but does she start ahead of a healthy Azzi or a healthy Caroline? She really can’t play inside if we’re going to be a top team, and she’s done growing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yeiiowing

Top Bottom