Player Updates | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Player Updates

Reaction Score
She’s been great for us this year, but does she start ahead of a healthy Azzi or a healthy Caroline? She really can’t play inside if we’re going to be a top team, and she’s done growing.
It depends on when in the season they return. Ash will be ready and a proven asset in November. Unless Azzi is back up to speed by then, I suspect Ash will get the nod. Same for Caroline.

Of course who plays in November is a different question from who plays in February. I can picture a starting five in November of Paige Ash KK Ice and Jana, but in February it may have become Paige Azzi Morgan Ayanna and Jana. One thing that catches my eye is the way UConn will have gone from being one of the smaller teams to one of the larger ones in one summer. We could easily start 6’0, 5’11”, 6’2”, 6’3”, 6’5” without sacrificing team speed.

Reaction Score
She’s been great for us this year, but does she start ahead of a healthy Azzi or a healthy Caroline? She really can’t play inside if we’re going to be a top team, and she’s done growing.

I'm with Zan,. I'm starting Ash next year. Even if no Ash - but no Azzi. In regard to this thread and expected returns in regard to Azzi- we have heard 3 years she was healthy enough to play and yet she wound up getting hurt or was hurt quite a bit during the season. There is no way I'd have her start. She has yet to play a full season the past 4 or maybe 5. If there are days her knees are't good she sits when she has been a starter fo this upcoming year then it affects the team too imo.

In regard to this thread - the players that come back - should not be averaging over 20. Maybe at the end of the year - last 10 games or something.

Reaction Score
It is always a "wait and see" when post surgical recovery is the issue. I would just like AZZI to have one full year, free of something nagging her. Even though, we must be aware, that the world has passed her by, in a way. When she arrived, no one had her accolades as a three point shooter. Now, there must be 25 kids in the Big Dance who shoot just as well from the arc. So we'll see how good shooting urad she can still be. Aubrey will be Aubrey, if we are lucky. A player who does off the bench and disrupts things. Creates fast breaks. Rebounds. Jana is a complete mystery. I see huge "BIGS" appearing all throughout the NCAAs and most are really good. Where did they come from?
Well, the truth is, Azzi herself has never really fulfilled the promise she showed in High School! Obviously, she has had to deal with injuries which may be the reason for that. I remember sort of scratching my head these past two years when posters would assert that she was our best shooter and either the best or among the best in all of women’s basketball. The thing is though, she’s never really shown that, again, hopefully because of all the health issues. Paige has always been the best shooter on this team and imo will continue to be.

My fondest hope is that Azzi will finally be able to simply play, unrestrained by an lingering pain or concerns about reinjury. If that happens, then I believe (and hope) we will finally see the 100% Azzi, because, even though I admit to doubting that she will be able to equal or surpass Paige in shooting the ball, I am forced to concede that the beauty and technical perfection of her shooting form forces me to at least acknowledge that possibility.

When you say there are 25 kids who can shoot just as well as Azzi, my response is that, given the parameters within which she has been forced to perform, that might be true (though I wouldn’t bet on it) but I would bet that, if she is blessed with full health for an extended ( I’m talking a season or two plus) we will finally see her fulfill the potential she showed in High School! If that happens and I pray that it will, perhaps she really will be the best shooter on our team or…perhaps in all of women’s basketball! One thing cannot be denied, her shooting form is a thing of beauty!

Reaction Score
Well, the truth is, Azzi herself has never really fulfilled the promise she showed in High School! Obviously, she has had to deal with injuries which may be the reason for that. I remember sort of scratching my head these past two years when posters would assert that she was our best shooter and either the best or among the best in all of women’s basketball. The thing is though, she’s never really shown that, again, hopefully because of all the health issues. Paige has always been the best shooter on this team and imo will continue to be.

My fondest hope is that Azzi will finally be able to simply play, unrestrained by an lingering pain or concerns about reinjury. If that happens, then I believe (and hope) we will finally see the 100% Azzi, because, even though I admit to doubting that she will be able to equal or surpass Paige in shooting the ball, I am forced to concede that the beauty and technical perfection of her shooting form forces me to at least acknowledge that possibility.

When you say there are 25 kids who can shoot just as well as Azzi, my response is that, given the parameters within which she has been forced to perform, that might be true (though I wouldn’t bet on it) but I would bet that, if she is blessed with full health for an extended ( I’m talking a season or two plus) we will finally see her fulfill the potential she showed in High School! If that happens and I pray that it will, perhaps she really will be the best shooter on our team or…perhaps in all of women’s basketball! One thing cannot be denied, her shooting form is a thing of beauty!
The healthiest Azzi was so far was the beginning of her second year and she looked really good. Geno seems to want to shoot threes all the time but Azzi, Paige and Ash all shoot lights out from 15-18 feet. Next year if healthy UConn will have an abundance of shooters and it will come down to who can play defense. All good problems to have.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think Jana will be fine.

Ayanna - I have no idea.

Azzi - she has not been healthy for three years now. Two ACL's on the same knee. Injuries have kept her from living up to the promise of her shooting.

Aubrey - she probably will not be back until Janusry at the earliest. And the same as Azzi, second ACL to the same knee.

Caroline - I really don't know. I hope she can return but I'm not sure she can.

I hope they all comeback healthy and 100%.

Reaction Score
I've read it was "ACL surgery" and "major knee surgery", so if it was more than just the ACL, it makes sense that she needs at least a year to recover.
ACL surgery is the same thing as major knee surgery. There was nothing extra. She was injured in late March and had surgery in April. She's back now and is practicing at full speed but everyone has a different healing time.

Reaction Score
KK should work on her pull-up jumper, which she has been able to make a few times. It is such an effective shot for her given her speed. She is going to be great, love her defense, love that she pushed the ball even though sometimes she might take it too far into the hoop- just take the pullup!

Reaction Score
I know almost nothing beyond generalities. The usual timeline would have Aubrey and Ayanna in a position to return in January (or early February) while Azzi could be back in December and Jana could be ready in November. As for Caroline, I hesitate to make any prediction, but I’d love to see her play whenever she’s ready.

That ACL timeline is when there are complications or where the rehab is very conservative. Many players return from basic ACL surgery in 8-9 months, some sooner. Jessica Moore was playing again in less than 7 months. I know many soccer and basketball players who have been playing in 6 months post-surgery. Time will tell.

As for achilles tears, there are many pro athletes who have returned in a year with the traditional surgery. That timeline could have Jana returning to practice before September 1st.

Reaction Score
That ACL timeline is when there are complications or where the rehab is very conservative. Many players return from basic ACL surgery in 8-9 months, some sooner. Jessica Moore was playing again in less than 7 months. I know many soccer and basketball players who have been playing in 6 months post-surgery. Time will tell.

As for achilles tears, there are many pro athletes who have returned in a year with the traditional surgery. That timeline could have Jana returning to practice before September 1st.
Jana is already practicing with the team, though I assume only partially. Pretty sure her she’s close to 100% back having been injured 8-9 months ago.

I’d be surprised if everyone but Aubrey and a Carolina aren’t ready for a November. Aubrey I’d expect not too long after. Though I’d imagine all will be in minutes restrictions.

Reaction Score
Jana and KK are NOT Aaliyah and Nika. The starting 5 will not be as strong as this year, but the bench will be deeper assuming there's no repeat of the injury disasters of the past 2 years. The team in sum total may be better simply by being able to run waves of starting caliber players at the opponent.

If she only goes from 390 to 400, we've got a problem. As the presumptive second scorer next year, it would be nice to get 15 pts/game from her which is 525 points on a 35 game schedule.

Ice has shown glimpses of what is possible. I'll buy the hype when I see it on a sustainable basis. The BE Tourney was a nice preview, but it's simply not there the majority of the time when she comes off the bench. Geno has said a million times that he needs to know what he's going to get night in and night out from his players. She's not there.
She's never going to be Aaliyah but I thought Ice played pretty well against Jackson State..........her first few shots were excellent and spun out, her passing was solid, and she had five rebounds and a block or two in limited minutes........when she's a starter with consistent minutes I think she'll show more of her skills.......next season Cheli and Zeibell will both show why they were so highly ranked making immediate impact on the team........they are both super skilled, smart, intuitive players who should be playing well above their freshmen status in no time.....

Reaction Score

I think Alli Ziebell may give Paige and Azzi a run for their money........her outside shot is something to behold..........

Reaction Score
... and Ash. They seem like quite similar personalities -- a pair of gym rats who've loved UConn for years.
very similar in mentality but from a physical standpoint Shade came to UConn already in such great shape that she laughs at Geno's practices...........let's see if Ziebell will do the same or if she needs to improve her overall fitness......I know one thing.........she is a long-range assassin...........

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
ACL surgery is the same thing as major knee surgery. There was nothing extra. She was injured in late March and had surgery in April. She's back now and is practicing at full speed but everyone has a different healing time.
Gotcha. I agree that ACL is major surgery (I've had 2), however for a while, it sounded as if there may have been more to it, ie, MCL or cartilage involvement, which to me would be more major than solely the ACL.

Reaction Score
I just hope everyone takes their time. Sometimes in late April or late May they are back practicing. As much as it seems like forever ago, Caroline really decided to take a break just two months ago. Similarly Aubrey just got hurt a couple months ago. Obviously it's the highest level of collegiate sports so everyone wants an edge but I kinda hope Caroline isn't really practicing until September, a good six+ months. Same with Jana. I will say watching Aliyah Moore from Texas play like she did yesterday gives me a bit of hope for Azzi. She tore her ACL in December last season and was ready by the start of the season basically. She didn't start or play a lot at the beginning but now she's looking like Texas second best player. So I could see Azzi returning in November or early December but then by conference tournament time feeling like herself. And to a couple of ppls point, with kk and Ash, no need to rush her into the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
I just hope everyone takes their time. Sometimes in late April or late May they are back practicing. As much as it seems like forever ago, Caroline really decided to take a break just two months ago. Similarly Aubrey just got hurt a couple months ago. Obviously it's the highest level of collegiate sports so everyone wants an edge but I kinda hope Caroline isn't really practicing until September, a good six+ months. Same with Jana. I will say watching Aliyah Moore from Texas play like she did yesterday gives me a bit of hope for Azzi. She tore her ACL in December last season and was ready by the start of the season basically. She didn't start or play a lot at the beginning but now she's looking like Texas second best player. So I could see Azzi returning in November or early December but then by conference tournament time feeling like herself. And to a couple of ppls point, with kk and Ash, no need to rush her into the starting lineup.
the good news for Azzi is that UConn will have other good outside shooters so she will not have to feel the pressure of carrying the team from the outside as she did with Paige and Carolyn out ........frankly unless she makes a miraculous recovery and comes back 100% early on, I choose to view her as more of a shooting guard coming in from the bench to ignite the team, especially against zone defenses.......perhaps as the season progresses she will go back to starting if she's feeling strong.......

Reaction Score
I would say Jana is the one that is the farthest along and I can see her taking over for Edwards starting the season. After that, it's Paige and who knows the remaining 3 starters.....

Reaction Score
Olivia Miles injured her knee Feb 26, 2023 .... don't know why she waited until April until she had surgery. What she did to her knee or what kind of surgery she has has never been disclosed.

Reaction Score
Olivia Miles injured her knee Feb 26, 2023 .... don't know why she waited until April until she had surgery. What she did to her knee or what kind of surgery she has has never been disclosed.
They said it was an ACL injury, it’s definitely been disclosed.

Reaction Score
I would say Jana is the one that is the farthest along and I can see her taking over for Edwards starting the season. After that, it's Paige and who knows the remaining 3 starters.....
Starters for sure will be Paige, kk, and Shade…. Shade has earned it, Kk is a point guard and this helps Paige Be Paige. This could change as the games roll on next Fall.

Reaction Score
If this is not deliberate hyperbole, can you please name some names (5 if not 25)? Shooters who are hitting better than 45% from 3 over the entire season, not just a couple of games in the NCAA tournament. That group would not include Caitlin Clark, by the way.
I'm replying out of curiosity only. I still think Azzi is a premiere perimeter shooter. But the NCAA website lists 5 D1 players shooting >45% for the season led by Ms. PaoPao. It lists 33 players total shooting >40% (including Ms. Bueckers), and most of them are not at mid-major programs.

Reaction Score
Did Jana injury happen playing for her home team overseas? If I remember correctly, she was one of the team’s best players? Does anyone recall ?

Reaction Score
I'm replying out of curiosity only. I still think Azzi is a premiere perimeter shooter. But the NCAA website lists 5 D1 players shooting >45% for the season led by Ms. PaoPao. It lists 33 players total shooting >40% (including Ms. Bueckers), and most of them are not at mid-major programs.
I'd take a healthy Azzi over PaoPao any day of the week.........

Reaction Score
It’s true that perimeter shooters seem to be growing on trees these days. But Azzi was also distinctive for how quick her release was. Most of the shooters we see now require help getting their shot off. Let’s hope Azzi retains this distinctiveness. She also is one of the few jump shooters from 3, like Paige and Caitlin. Mostly you see kids shooting standing set shots from there.
Unfortunately, Azzi's quick release in her shooting videos did not seem to translate to the games. IMO Shade provides similar offense but is a far superior defender and rebounder. I think Azzi will come in off the bench next year when she is ready to go.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, Azzi's quick release in her shooting videos did not seem to translate to the games. IMO Shade provides similar offense but is a far superior defender and rebounder. I think Azzi will come in off the bench next year when she is ready to go.
Azzi’s quick release 100% translated to games. I think people have forgotten what Azzi looked like when she played. Azzi is also a much better defender than Shade. Shade kills us on that end imo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom