PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American) | Page 47 | The Boneyard

PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Nike-Global-Challenge-Scouting-Reports-Point-Guards-5183/

Alterique Gilbert, 5-11, PG, Norcross, Georgia, 2016 High School Class

Analysis

The undersized, scoring point guard and UConn commit Alterique Gilbert put together a very impressive four-game tournament, eventually ending in a championship victory over USA East. Over the course of the entire Nike Global Challenge Gilbert averaged 27.5 points, 5.6 rebounds and 6.3 assists per 40 minutes pace adjusted while posting a 23.2 PER and shooting 59.1% from two and 30.8% from three.

Sporting a strong frame, outstanding quickness and explosive leaping ability for a player his size, Gilbert got into the paint at will while knocking down a handful of tough threes off the bounce. Playing with more of a scorer's mindset at this stage, Gilbert had no problem creating his own shot in the half court by using a bevy of hesitations and combo moves that were tough for defenders to contain when combined with his athletic ability.

Gilbert also did a tremendous job finishing inside the paint despite his less than stellar stature. The Georgia-native showed no fear challenging rim protectors, and even went coast to coast, elevated off one foot and almost hammered one home on a near seven-footer before getting fouled in the championship game.

Gilbert also did a nice job creating space to get to his jumper, utilizing quick crossovers and step backs in isolation or pick and roll situations. Gilbert is more of a shot-maker than a pure shooter at this stage, as he takes a lot of contested jumpers and struggles with his balance at times.

As a point guard and decision maker, Gilbert still has some room to improve. He's a more than capable passer, and he showed that with a handful of pick and roll dimes and transition drop offs, but Gilbert is more often than not driving to score, resulting in low percentage shots in the paint or missed teammates from time to time.

Defensively, Gilbert has the strength and quickness to be a very pesky defender. He's not always overly focused on that end of the floor, however, and will struggle containing, contesting and bothering shots or passes from bigger point guards.

Overall, Gilbert has some room to develop his decision making and pure point guard skills, but he's an elite athlete for his position, can make tough shots on the dribble and could very play a Pierre Jackson type of role at the college level in time.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz3gYRhWIzq
http://www.draftexpress.com

Reaction Score
Jackson also just made some money for himself by earning a guaranteed NBA contract after bouncing around a bit as a 2nd round pick. Probably will be Philly's starting PG this year.

Reaction Score
image.jpg

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

If he continues to improve and ollie builds the right team around him, I can see him being a great pass first pg who can score when he wants/needs to

Reaction Score
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Nike-Global-Challenge-Scouting-Reports-Point-Guards-5183/

Alterique Gilbert, 5-11, PG, Norcross, Georgia, 2016 High School Class

Analysis

The undersized, scoring point guard and UConn commit Alterique Gilbert put together a very impressive four-game tournament, eventually ending in a championship victory over USA East. Over the course of the entire Nike Global Challenge Gilbert averaged 27.5 points, 5.6 rebounds and 6.3 assists per 40 minutes pace adjusted while posting a 23.2 PER and shooting 59.1% from two and 30.8% from three.

Sporting a strong frame, outstanding quickness and explosive leaping ability for a player his size, Gilbert got into the paint at will while knocking down a handful of tough threes off the bounce. Playing with more of a scorer's mindset at this stage, Gilbert had no problem creating his own shot in the half court by using a bevy of hesitations and combo moves that were tough for defenders to contain when combined with his athletic ability.

Gilbert also did a tremendous job finishing inside the paint despite his less than stellar stature. The Georgia-native showed no fear challenging rim protectors, and even went coast to coast, elevated off one foot and almost hammered one home on a near seven-footer before getting fouled in the championship game.

Gilbert also did a nice job creating space to get to his jumper, utilizing quick crossovers and step backs in isolation or pick and roll situations. Gilbert is more of a shot-maker than a pure shooter at this stage, as he takes a lot of contested jumpers and struggles with his balance at times.

As a point guard and decision maker, Gilbert still has some room to improve. He's a more than capable passer, and he showed that with a handful of pick and roll dimes and transition drop offs, but Gilbert is more often than not driving to score, resulting in low percentage shots in the paint or missed teammates from time to time.

Defensively, Gilbert has the strength and quickness to be a very pesky defender. He's not always overly focused on that end of the floor, however, and will struggle containing, contesting and bothering shots or passes from bigger point guards.

Overall, Gilbert has some room to develop his decision making and pure point guard skills, but he's an elite athlete for his position, can make tough shots on the dribble and could very play a Pierre Jackson type of role at the college level in time.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz3gYRhWIzq
http://www.draftexpress.com
I remember UF and UK having some pretty big guards and we all know how that went for them. Size does not always matter if you have a ton of heart- this kid just screams "UCONN PG".

Reaction Score
I remember UF and UK having some pretty big guards and we all know how that went for them. Size does not always matter if you have a ton of heart- this kid just screams "UCONN PG".

I agree just because a guy is small doesnt mean the bigger PG's will bully them. Bazz and Boat embarressed the bigger Harrison twins.

Also, hes a scorer first so I have no problem with him being a passer second. AJ, Kemba, Bazz, and Boat were all scorers first and passers 2nd and they all won titles or made the final four and made an NBA team (Boat pending).

Reaction Score

DraftExpress's scouting reports are done with the college and professional level in mind. I hear you and I don't see size being an issue for Gilbert in college but it will be a talking point for the pros if he hopefully gets to that point, that's why it was mentioned in this writeup.

Reaction Score
DraftExpress's scouting reports are done with the college and professional level in mind. I hear you and I don't see size being an issue for Gilbert in college but it will be a talking point for the pros if he hopefully gets to that point, that's why it was mentioned in this writeup.

size will keep him college for an extra year or two

Reaction Score
Huge bonus. Come to think of it, UCONN should only recruit smaller PGs. They turn into Jrs and Srs who dominate the tournament.

This is like a corollary to being a 5th year senior transfer school.
I agree a 100%. Would I like us to land elite big, strong and athletic lead guards. Hell yes...well as long as they stay for at least 2 years, preferably 3 to 4. But the reality is if you get one of the elite legit 6-2 plus PGs he's not going to stay here beyond one, maybe 2 years. And rarely does the team cutting down the nets have an underclassman at the helm. So getting a 6-0 to 6-1 PG...which means they're more like 5-11 or shorter to as much as 6-0 that stay for 3 to 4 years, that's a much better formula for cutting down the nets. Just ask Khalid, Ricky, Taliek, Kemba and Bazz about that. Most of these stayed all 4 years. I believe Khalid stayed only 3, but should have returned for his 4th. Though sometimes the longer these kids stay in college the less the NBA scouts like them. Though in the case with Kemba & Bazz, their stocks rose significantly by staying all 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom