PF Mamadou Diarra (Signed LOI on 11/14) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

PF Mamadou Diarra (Signed LOI on 11/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree 100%. I think part of the reason people are so vitriolic to certain players is because they expect them to measure up to our legends and get mad if someone isn't a Kemba or Emeka or whomever. We should support our guys for who they are, not who came before them.

I think the vitriol is more a product of overblown expectations and assuming that kids are going to immediately recreate their high school highlight videos as soon as they set foot on campus. It happens virtually every year.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think the vitriol is more a product of overblown expectations and assuming that kids are going to immediately recreate their high school highlight videos as soon as they set foot on campus. It happens virtually every year.

You mean we're not playing against a bunch of chairs?

Reaction Score
Not trying to insult or start something with anyone, but why does everyone always have to compare players to other players? The reason we loved Adrien, Freeman, etc. was that they were unique for our program. We should be hoping that Diarra builds a name for himself just like they did, but in his own way.

I'm just trying to get a feel for what kind of game he has, since I know very little about him. My goal isn't to come out of this saying "he's the next Jeff Adrien, and anything less is a disappointment".

Is he a bruiser? Can he shoot a foul line jumper? Does he have post moves?

The easiest way to answer those questions is by referring to attributes of players we know well, something like "OK, he's undersized like Freeman, but more muscular, probably has a crude offensive game like Oriakhi, but with Adrien's motor and toughness".

Also, we didn't love Adrien and Freeman because they were unique. We loved them because they were good players and good teammates who were fun to root for. If Diarra is exactly the same as those guys (and we get him) that would be great.

Reaction Score
Not trying to insult or start something with anyone, but why does everyone always have to compare players to other players? The reason we loved Adrien, Freeman, etc. was that they were unique for our program. We should be hoping that Diarra builds a name for himself just like they did, but in his own way.
Given the two names mentioned above, I think people are just wondering/hoping where the toughness is going to come from, PF is a good place to look.

Reaction Score
I'll be pretty surprised if he doesn't commit to UConn. As he's said many times, UConn is his dream school. I don't think he'll be an immediate impact player but he'll give us 4 good years and give this team some serious heart.

Reaction Score
If Diarra comes, that frontline is going to look pretty formidable for the next few years.

If I were a guard/wing like Gilbert and VJ King, or Bruce Borwn, I'd be looking at UConn as a place that's all set up for my success.

Reaction Score
If Diarra comes, that frontline is going to look pretty formidable for the next few years.

If I were a guard/wing like Gilbert and VJ King, or Bruce Borwn, I'd be looking at UConn as a place that's all set up for my success.
If only it were that easy

Reaction Score
I'm just trying to get a feel for what kind of game he has, since I know very little about him. My goal isn't to come out of this saying "he's the next Jeff Adrien, and anything less is a disappointment".

Is he a bruiser? Can he shoot a foul line jumper? Does he have post moves?

The easiest way to answer those questions is by referring to attributes of players we know well, something like "OK, he's undersized like Freeman, but more muscular, probably has a crude offensive game like Oriakhi, but with Adrien's motor and toughness".

Also, we didn't love Adrien and Freeman because they were unique. We loved them because they were good players and good teammates who were fun to root for. If Diarra is exactly the same as those guys (and we get him) that would be great.
Could I add to Jeff and Kevin resume : the fact that they both gave 100% effort every time ,made them legendary.

Reaction Score
We need this guy! If we don't get him I will be very disappointed. He is the tenacious rebounder with actual size that this team is missing.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If we lose out on another recruit to VCU I'll pull my hair out.

D

Deleted member 3149

On a side note- when's the last time we had a player commit to uconn on a planned occasion / press conference?

Reaction Score
Good read there, anyone else find it funny that in evaluating a player's potential, size of neck is now in the conversation?

I laughed at that too, if he had a normal neck he'd be what? 6'9"? What if he had Jeremy Lamb's neck? 7'2"? The author is correct in his point that his reach is more important. (Although the height to be able to see over defenders helps)

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

This sounds like a very positive message (all of our players are unique snowflakes), and so I get why people "liked" it, but I think it's quite strange to criticize people for asking who these recruits' best comps are. I don't watch high school basketball games in my spare time and it's very helpful to me and many others when someone can describe a facet of someone's game as being similar to a skill of a player we've all seen a lot of.

So I actually find all of the comparisons very helpful. I will continue to ask for comps and I hope others do as well.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This sounds like a very positive message (all of our players are unique snowflakes), and so I get why people "liked" it, but I think it's quite strange to criticize people for asking who these recruits' best comps are. I don't watch high school basketball games in my spare time and it's very helpful to me and many others when someone can describe a facet of someone's game as being similar to a skill of a player we've all seen a lot of.

So I actually find all of the comparisons very helpful. I will continue to ask for comps and I hope others do as well.

I think the issue is that people are confusing "this player has a similar game to UCONN Great X" with "we expect this player to be as good/impactful as UCONN Great X right off the bat".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom