PF Mamadou Diarra (Signed LOI on 11/14) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

PF Mamadou Diarra (Signed LOI on 11/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Even if the players weren't "unique snowflakes" it doesn't mean that there is a 1:1 previous UConn player comparison for each recruit. It seems hard to get any kind of feel for a high school player's performance relative to 4 years of past players at UConn.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I think the issue is that people are confusing "this player has a similar game to UCONN Great X" with "we expect this player to be as good/impactful as UCONN Great X right off the bat".

Well, sports fans' over-exuberance about the unknown will always be there. From Billy Packer talking about Ajou Deng (the best player on the title team) to every tanking NBA team (valuing the kids in the draft, the majority of whom will flame out, more than actual established NBA players), people always expect way too much. Every year, people expect our recruits to be stars right away, as if Kemba and Shabazz didn't have their struggles as freshmen.

So yeah.

But that's not a reason to not talk about whose skill sets are comparable. Had Rip City said, "let's hold off on calling these kids 'the next' Adrien," I would have agreed.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Even if the players weren't "unique snowflakes" it doesn't mean that there is a 1:1 previous UConn player comparison for each recruit. It seems hard to get any kind of feel for a high school player's performance relative to 4 years of past players at UConn.

Who says there has to be? Is a player more of a Marcus White or a Travis Knight? Is a player more a true PG or a combo guard? Maybe a kid has the ball-handling skills of one player and the spin move of another. It's not rocket science. Players remind people of other players, all the time.

Reaction Score
Who says there has to be? Is a player more of a Marcus White or a Travis Knight? Is a player more a true PG or a combo guard? Maybe a kid has the ball-handling skills of one player and the spin move of another. It's not rocket science. Players remind people of other players, all the time.

If you feel you've gained something useful from hearing that kind of info, that's fine I guess. I personally somewhat doubt the ability of our random posters to give meaningful accuracy in that regard.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I think the issue is that people are confusing "this player has a similar game to UCONN Great X" with "we expect this player to be as good/impactful as UCONN Great X right off the bat".
I think the folks who confuse those two are willfully obtuse.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If you feel you've gained something useful from hearing that kind of info, that's fine I guess. I personally somewhat doubt the ability of our random posters to give meaningful accuracy in that regard.

You mean we aren't chock full of experienced scouts/coaches?

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Diarra doesn't even have a similar body type than Adrien, and he's two inches taller. If you want to make comparisons, do it to a player who actually compares, not to someone with only a couple shared traits. Or someone realistic. Comparing Diarra to Harrell, for example, doesn't make sense to me. Harrell is a rare talent. Not everyone with his type of game is going to be nearly as good as Harrell.

Most of the comparisons here are barely passable and freakishly optimistic. And we wonder why were upset when our young players don't light the world on fire.

Reaction Score
KF is one of my all time favorite Huskies. An undersized PF he just had a great motor that never quit. I just recently watched tha 99 championship game, again, and Kevin was a monster. Him and Ricky Moore kept them in that game until Rip could get going.
JA was cut from the same cloth. He also played some very valuable minutes as a freshman.
KO knows he needs higher level recruits. He 's recruiting over some of the present players which is why TS and RK, who couldn't jump over a piece of paper, decided to go elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Harrell was an absolute beast in AAU/High School. His highlight videos and performances from back then are legendary. I don't think Diarra is at that level, but he could blow up.

Reaction Score
Harrell was an absolute beast in AAU/High School. His highlight videos and performances from back then are legendary. I don't think Diarra is at that level, but he could blow up.
If I remember correctly Harrell was ranked around 100, he was originally committed to Va Tech and UConn was interested before he picked Louisville. Harrell wasn't some surefire McDonald's type of recruit.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

We have some terrific posters who watch a lot of HS basketball games. I value their opinions.

I don't think anybody really credits the posters who, based on a YouTube clip, declare a HS senior to be the AAC POY as a freshman.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If we lose out on another recruit to VCU I'll pull my hair out.

Losing to VCU with Shaka is one thing - losing to VCU with Will Wade is another. Would definitely be a head scratcher if we can't lock this up.

Reaction Score
Not trying to insult or start something with anyone, but why does everyone always have to compare players to other players? The reason we loved Adrien, Freeman, etc. was that they were unique for our program. We should be hoping that Diarra builds a name for himself just like they did, but in his own way.
So much Montrezl Harrell in his game lol, if u follow Jon Rothstein on Twitter, u will get this one!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
So much Montrezl Harrell in his game lol, if u follow Jon Rothstein on Twitter, u will get this one!
What just about to say that - reminds me of a less aggressive, much more humble version of Montrezl.

Reaction Score
The Rothstein joke is funny. In all seriousness, the guy I keep thinking of when looking at Diarra is Josh Boone.

Reaction Score
Is he is making his decision at 11:30 AM today or do I have that wrong?

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
UConn athletics have a 100% success rate turning Mamadous into pro athletes.

Let's hope Diarra realizes that and makes the right choice today.

Reaction Score
The fact that our only competition is a Shaka-less VCU is a good sign in my book.
I am still a bit confused as to why this guy seems to be a must get. How has he feared against others in his position. I see he's ranked as the 20th best center. I usually value your opinion and responses. What do you have? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom