PF Mamadou Diarra (Signed LOI on 11/14) | Page 34 | The Boneyard

PF Mamadou Diarra (Signed LOI on 11/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
What on earth does this have to do with being politically correct? It's not just you but this cultural phenomenon of whining about political correctness has gotten out of hand. You cannot spend 5 minutes on the internet without seeing someone do it, often when it's totally nonsensical to do so.

Either that or getting it from the other side. One false step and suddenly you hate all Muslims, women, men, whites, blacks, hispanics, split level houses, cakes, wheelchairs, etc

Reaction Score
Either that or getting it from the other side. One false step and suddenly you hate all Muslims, women, men, whites, blacks, hispanics, split level houses, cakes, wheelchairs, etc
Sometimes I'd agree, but IMO the vast majority of the time, someone is actually saying something bigoted. This is just the defense when they get called out on it.

Reaction Score
Pretty much any time a political candidate complains about being criticized for saying something "politically incorrect," it was probably just "incorrect," and they don't like being called out on it.

Reaction Score
Pretty much any time a political candidate complains about being criticized for saying something "politically incorrect," it was probably just "incorrect," and they don't like being called out on it.

Yup. Politically Incorrect is now just another way of saying, I'm going to stick to what I'm saying even though most people have different opinions. It's a specific term that was used to describe the policing of language in specific contexts. It's not about holding inconvenient opinions.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Sometimes I'd agree, but IMO the vast majority of the time, someone is actually saying something bigoted. This is just the defense when they get called out on it.

Generally it depends on age (yours and who you're talking to), where you are, what you're talking about, who you're discussing it with, and so on. In my experience it's about 50/50. Sometimes I get both from the same person in the same discussion. That's always amusing. Recently, I was called out for supposedly discriminating against Greeks by saying I preferred Italian style cooking over Greek. A few minutes later, the same guy said something along the lines of ,"It's PC thought police like you who are the real threat to America," after I disparaged the use of the N word.

Reaction Score
Generally it depends on age (yours and who you're talking to), where you are, what you're talking about, who you're discussing it with, and so on. In my experience it's about 50/50. Sometimes I get both from the same person in the same discussion. That's always amusing. Recently, I was called out for supposedly discriminating against Greeks by saying I preferred Italian style cooking over Greek. A few minutes later, the same guy said something along the lines of ,"It's PC thought police like you who are the real threat to America," after I disparaged the use of the N word.
That doesn't sound like a systemic problem, it just sounds like you're dealing with a moron. The PC police generally don't come out when someone says they like one type of food instead of another.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
When the speaker's intent is ignored and words are criticised, I think it can be overly politically correct.

On the other hand, when you say something intentionally diminishes a group of people by race, creed........I think it is incorrect whatever words you use to convey it. Unless the group of people are Kentucky or Red Sox fans.

Reaction Score
When the speaker's intent is ignored and words are criticised, I think it can be overly politically correct.

On the other hand, when you say something intentionally diminishes a group of people by race, creed...I think it is incorrect whatever words you use to convey it. Unless the group of people are Kentucky or Red Sox fans.
Yeah. I think the hard part is that intent is impossible to ascertain. Hearts are hidden, and words, whatever we want, have meanings rooted in history and place.

That said, context helps, and everyone has experienced saying something that was misconstrued, or that, once said, they realized didn't come out quite the way they wanted.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I was thinking of a 80 year old grandma missing the meaning of "gender fluid" but speaking lovingly. Someone using the R word, not like Trump but as the word that was proper for many decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom