Per Adamec, Geno headed to home visit w/Lauren Cox | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Per Adamec, Geno headed to home visit w/Lauren Cox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I would love to be a fly on the wall in the homes of these kids and hear Geno's sales pitch to them. I wonder if he has a glass of wine with the parents to seal the deal?
I'd rather he "made an offer they couldn't refuse" ! And end the suspense!!!!

Reaction Score
Everything you say about why a kid would want to go to Geno and UConn is absolutely true. But it takes an incredibly brave, self-confident and motivated kid to travel across the country for a chance at greatness and National Championships. Diana Taurasi, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, and Moriah Jefferson seized that moment and the results have been truly spectacular. Katie Lou Samuelson has made the same bold and difficult decision, to leave the familiarity of friends and family for the chance to achieve greatness on WCBB's biggest stage, and I thank her. But I will not criticize Lauren Cox if she chooses the safer, more comfortable path and stays home, though it would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity missed.

I couldn't agree more. I realize that teenagers don't always have the perspective to take advantage of "once-in-a-lifetime opportunities" but isn't that where parents become involved ? What would you advise as a parent ? Stay "comfortable" and play locally or expand you're boundaries and accept the "once in a lifetime opportunity" ?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Let me make a few comments. Geno does not need all the top players which he pretty much has now. What he needs is a few top players each year that want what he has to offer and are willing to make a total commitment to. There are a lot of good players in AAU/HS ball. When they come to UConn they have a chance an opportunity to be great but only if they are willing to pay the price to be great. Geno is the best teacher and develop players. Only those who are willing to make a total commitment have a chance. So when top players go elsewhere imo they are lacking something which imo is in most cases the commitment to be the greatest. See when you have the greatest coach in your sport recruiting you, to a program that is legendary, and has set records that you can dream about and you go elsewhere what is the point? If you think you can over run the top program your dreaming. I like LVille and Jeff. He is a great coach. He is no where near Geno and any player or coach that thinks they will knock Geno and UConn off are just that dreamers. Lville may beat UConn but they will not beat them in a NC game. Next season may be one of UConns greatest seasons and with our incoming class we will be on top for at least 4 more years. No team can challenge that over the next 4 years. They are too far away from building a legacy.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
All I had read about Joyner Holmes was that she visited USC (L.A.) back in September the same weekend a couple of senior Cedar Hill football players took their official visits; one signed with the Trojans, the other with Ole Miss. Not positive, but I believe that was on official visit for Holmes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/77707/best-of-the-visits-pac-12-3

Other than that, I know she attended Texas' home win against Tennessee in November.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have inside info about the Cox/McCoy visits? I saw the picture of Geno and McCoy's father, but do we know if either has scheduled visits to Storrs or if they plan on attending any of the upcoming NCAA games?

Reaction Score
For whatever reason, I don't believe UConn is recruiting Holmes.

C'mon, JS ... I'm sure your imagination is active enough that you can summon up some sort of reason to explain why UConn might not be recruiting Holmes, right homes?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So when top players go elsewhere imo they are lacking something which imo is in most cases the commitment to be the greatest. See when you have the greatest coach in your sport recruiting you, to a program that is legendary, and has set records that you can dream about and you go elsewhere what is the point?
Have to disagree with you Tony. Lot's of kids who go elsewhere have the commitment to be the greatest. Or best they can be anyway. I believe you are disrespecting them by saying that.

There are tons of reasons for kids to go someplace else. Maybe they don't like the NE, the weather, the people (very reasonable - hell I live here and don't like it)? Maybe they want a specific academic program? Maybe they don't want a male coach? Maybe they want to build a local school? Maybe they grew up in love with another school? Maybe they just don't like Geno or the coaching staff, just not a fit? Maybe they want to be the star and get the accolades? (Nothing wrong with that, just doesn't always fit in with the team concept at UCONN.) Maybe they are not that comfortable in the limelight/fishbowl? Lot's of reasons that don't have anything to do with their commitment to be the best.

If you think you can over run the top program your dreaming.
Why not dream? Anyone who's ever accomplished something extraordinary or "impossible" had a dream. I'm sure the girls coming TO UCONN have a dream.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let me make a few comments. Geno does not need all the top players which he pretty much has now. What he needs is a few top players each year that want what he has to offer and are willing to make a total commitment to. There are a lot of good players in AAU/HS ball. When they come to UConn they have a chance an opportunity to be great but only if they are willing to pay the price to be great. Geno is the best teacher and develop players. Only those who are willing to make a total commitment have a chance. So when top players go elsewhere imo they are lacking something which imo is in most cases the commitment to be the greatest. See when you have the greatest coach in your sport recruiting you, to a program that is legendary, and has set records that you can dream about and you go elsewhere what is the point? If you think you can over run the top program your dreaming. I like LVille and Jeff. He is a great coach. He is no where near Geno and any player or coach that thinks they will knock Geno and UConn off are just that dreamers. Lville may beat UConn but they will not beat them in a NC game. Next season may be one of UConns greatest seasons and with our incoming class we will be on top for at least 4 more years. No team can challenge that over the next 4 years. They are too far away from building a legacy.

Tony,
Love you enthusiasm as always for all things UCONN WBB. I fully realize that you state twice that this is your opinion but with this opinion I disagree: ”So when top players go elsewhere imo they are lacking something which imo is in most cases the commitment to be the greatest. “ If this were true no player would ever leave UCONN once they get to campus. IMO all the top players want to be as good/great as they can be. Players choose UCONN or another school for a variety of reasons: playing time, academics, Geno, weather, family, hatred of orange, playing with better teammates etc. Clearly UCONN players have had more success than others, but there have been players who said no to a UCONN offer and won a National Championship elsewhere, made it to the WNBA, won Olympic gold medals. A player that says no to UCONN is choosing the greater challenge-commendable IMO.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
You may want to argue about it, but I doubt you do not understand it. As I said in the post I am probably all wet and influenced by my perception that she and her family have been somewhat difficult in the recruiting process. She has found time to visit plenty of schools but not UConn to date, so I question the seriousness of her interest in this recruitment.

Saving the best for last?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Adamec with a new article today (3/14).

Lauren Cox was hoping that once she began narrowing her college choices, the recruiting process would become easier.

“I’m still taking my time, but I know that I’m coming to a point where I really need to cut it down and make some decisions,” Cox said. “It’s going to depend on how I feel. I’m going to sit down with my parents in the next week and we’ll talk about all of it.”

UConn coach Geno Auriemma and associate head coach Chris Dailey made the trip to Flower Mound. Cox attended UConn’s game at SMU in January and its game at Notre Dame in December while on her unofficial visit to South Bend.

“We had a good visit and we enjoyed it,” Cox said. “I would say that my feelings are the same. It was good to hear what they had to say.

“It wasn’t so much about the school. They talked about the winning tradition they have and how when Breanna Stewart came to Connecticut she said her goal was to win four national championships. They talked a lot about that tradition.”

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/top-recruit-cox-facing-tough-decisions/

Reaction Score
If there is a betting line on this, I would put some money down that she is staying in Texas.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What concerns me is she has visited a bunch of schools but never come to UConn. If it comes down to winning a NC I think she comes to UConn if it come down to staying close to home she doesn't.

Reaction Score
I'll tell you what I have watched all of the Maya's and breanna's and other stars before college and when I watched Lauren cox she didn't seem like anything special. Then one game after halftime......she looked as good or better than any player I have ever seen. I think this will be one of the bigger misses if we don't get her. National player o f the year at least two times in her college career easily.

Reaction Score
I guarantee you if Uconn didn't have a chance with her Geno wouln't waste his time going down to see her.

Reaction Score
I guarantee you if Uconn didn't have a chance with her Geno wouln't waste his time going down to see her.

I think this was an all-out push by us to make her final 3-4 list. She will stay in TX, or pick ND over us. But I'm reading tealeaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom