Paige underwent successful surgery | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Paige underwent successful surgery

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Legitimate question: If Paige doesn’t return at all this season, can she redshirt?

Someone earlier mentioned the Covid increase - I think that this is a real concern.
In the old days if you played in more than 30% of your games you couldn't red shirt. Paige has played in 6 of 31 scheduled games, so under previous rules she could. I don't know if the rules have been updated.

Reaction Score
Cornell is the canary in the coal mine. They shut down the university and all winter sports yesterday with 900 active cases on a campus where 97% of students and staff are fully vaccinated. Omicron appears to be the culprit. All finals will be remote.
UConn keeps track of this stuff too ....

and they seem to be in pretty good shape right now.

Reaction Score
In the old days if you played in more than 30% of your games you couldn't red shirt. Paige has played in 6 of 31 scheduled games, so under previous rules she could. I don't know if the rules have been updated.
I believe the Medial Waiver rule is:

Injury occurs in first half of the season
Less than 30% of the season
The doctor must certify the player is unable to return for remainder of the season.

Then the player may apply for a waiver.

Notes: Players get 4 years eligibility to be completed in 5 years. Players must apply for a waiver to extend the 5 year window. With the COVID free year Paige already gets 5 years eligibility. A Medical Waiver would give her a sixth year. I can't see Paige forgoing turning pro past 4 years much less that long.

Reaction Score
Can't find the post again, but i think someone asked about a screw in your bones and going through airport security... I have a metal plate in my back, it has never set off airport or other event security. They make them out of some alloy or such (can't remember what) that won't set off security.

Reaction Score

Only 6,000 tests since August that's an extremely low number

Reaction Score
Legitimate question: If Paige doesn’t return at all this season, can she redshirt?

Someone earlier mentioned the Covid increase - I think that this is a real concern.
There is no reason for her to redshirt. That would give her a 6th year of eligibility. She gets WNBA eligibility after her 3rd.
She is not spending 3 extra years, to the age of 24, in college.
1 year probably, to get her degree
2 years seems unlikely to me but debateable
3 years hell no

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

My son surprised me today to say that his friends are "dropping like flies."
This is the arts community in Brooklyn/Mahattan
His fully vaccinated (no booster) is quite ill.

We live the Village but haven't heard much.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
New article, new doctor's opinion.

Dr. Andreas Gomoll, an orthopedic surgeon in sports medicine at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York, said recovery time likely depends on the severity of the injury. Gomoll, who is viewing Bueckers’ case from a distance and has not seen X-rays, said both the meniscus tear and the plateau fracture can run “the whole gamut.”

Gomoll said a more severe meniscus surgery would require stitches while the more serious plateau fracture repair might require a screw or implant.

If that’s the case for either, 8 weeks may be at the low end of the recovery timeline.

“Mixing those two scenarios with the information we have … it could be eight weeks,” Gomoll said. “But if this is ‘real surgery’ — something that needs some time to heal — then eight weeks is quite optimistic.

“So if this is something where we are waiting for something to heal — if the meniscus has stitches or there’s a screw — that automatically means that she will be on crutches for a few weeks. So anywhere between two and four weeks on crutches. And generally in a brace for four to six weeks. That’s sort of a pretty routine thing if there’s something where we are trying to get two things to heal together rather than just sort of trimming something out.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
New article, new doctor's opinion.

Dr. Andreas Gomoll, an orthopedic surgeon in sports medicine at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York, said recovery time likely depends on the severity of the injury. Gomoll, who is viewing Bueckers’ case from a distance and has not seen X-rays, said both the meniscus tear and the plateau fracture can run “the whole gamut.”

Gomoll said a more severe meniscus surgery would require stitches while the more serious plateau fracture repair might require a screw or implant.

If that’s the case for either, 8 weeks may be at the low end of the recovery timeline.

“Mixing those two scenarios with the information we have … it could be eight weeks,” Gomoll said. “But if this is ‘real surgery’ — something that needs some time to heal — then eight weeks is quite optimistic.

“So if this is something where we are waiting for something to heal — if the meniscus has stitches or there’s a screw — that automatically means that she will be on crutches for a few weeks. So anywhere between two and four weeks on crutches. And generally in a brace for four to six weeks. That’s sort of a pretty routine thing if there’s something where we are trying to get two things to heal together rather than just sort of trimming something out.”

I find these other doctors chiming in when they don't know diddly squat unseemly. They might as well put a placard on their chests saying "Ortho Surgeon For Hire" and wander the streets of Manhattan or Boston or wherever.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, we get Paige back for the Tennessee game. That game will have huge implications for seeding.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I find these other doctors chiming in when they don't know diddly squat unseemly. They might as well put a placard on their chests saying "Ortho Surgeon For Hire" and wander the streets of Manhattan or Boston or wherever.
Press keeps soliciting these 'consultations' :confused:

Reaction Score
Hopefully, we get Paige back for the Tennessee game. That game will have huge implications for seeding.
2 days short of 8 weeks put her in a pressure situation?

No
Friggin
Way

Reaction Score
At the rate covid is making a comeback either there will be no tournament or some low seed will win anyway and none of this will matter. Whatever they do...DO NOT feed the portal again by passing out extra years. The NBA is a mess right now. Don't be surprised if after the holidays the NCAA axes fans from games.
My guess is they will have to change the protocols if they want to have a season. This will be true for all sports.Omnicon will overwhelm, but with cold like symptoms, it's ridiculous to wait a week. No one will be able to field a team.

Reaction Score
I would suspect that the timeline given for recovery is the optimum one. Where as some of the comments by others are making more conservative estimates if complications should arise and they often do.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Why shouldn't the doctor be able to give their professional opinion? It's just someone explaining their experience with that type of surgery and the typical recovery time and how it might be affected.
Lacking patient specific testing they cannot offer an opinion. They are free to say the kind of information you mention. I just think it is unseemly. It certain does not provide diagnostic info specific to Paige.

Reaction Score
When Holy Rowe announced that Paige will probably need surgery, several posters scoffed, and said "what does she know?"
I guessed she would probably need surgery too. Holly or "Holy" as you call her, just guessed. Neither her nor I know squat-o-la.

Reaction Score
I guessed she would probably need surgery too. Holly or "Holy" as you call her, just guessed. Neither her nor I know squat-o-la.
Nah Holly had the scoop. There was no need to guess when she could just ask Geno.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom