Paige out 6-8 weeks [Merged Thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paige out 6-8 weeks [Merged Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Wishing her a complete and speedy healing process! While there might be some bumps along the way the rest of the team will gain more experience during this time and when she joins the team again I bet you will be even better. UCONN won’t be a team anyone wants to see in March.

Reaction Score
Good to hear that it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. The kid is going to make millions so I would say shut her down for the year, but Paige is not going to want to sit out. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s back at the beginning of February. With SCs physicality, I would leave her out of that game

Now it time for EW and C to prove why they were one of the top kids of their classes.

Reaction Score
So no surgery is needed correct?

The team and reports didn't say. Normally, such an injury is treated thru Arthroscopic Surgery, and not a major invasive surgery. Again, no official reports on what they are going to do with Paige's injury, so your "Guess" is as good as mine.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
God Bless Paige We are gonna learn to play without her which will make us a stronger team. Griff Im hoping will be back soon and we should hear something about Azzi by the end of the week. This is going to be a new growing process for the team and a different road for this team to travel without Paige. With all things said, 6-8 weeks, and Im thinking look down the road in 8 weeks we have Tennessee and approx one month til the BE tourney. We have time to get back to full strength before the NCAAs and thats what really counts.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, we’ll now see the difference from true die-hard UConn fans to the fair-weather fans moving forward. The team has been hit with the adversity bug, and depending on how some of the current injured players recover, will impact the team’s success in the near-term. Now is the time to throw full support behind everyone. Let’s hope they circle the wagon and each individual raise their level of play.

From a personal level, I hope Paige makes a full recovery and can back on the court to display her magic and seemingly universal appeal. While I will cheer on the team and players, I will be disappointed in not seeing her play because her style of play is such a joy to watch and her charisma is irreplaceable.
Pretty sure we know what to expect. The criticism from posters will continue to come, especially after a loss. The great thing about the Boneyard is if there is a post or thread you're not interested in, you can delete it forever, and move on. I've deleted a lot of threads I had no interest in. This to me is not good news. I was hoping for a better report. It is what it is. UConn has been pretty lucky avoiding the injury bug in recent years. We seem to have a rash of them this year. The team will have to go on without her. They might as well begin to get their minds right that things will be different the next 2 months.

Now the question is who will step up? 1 players, 2 players, 3 players? No more deferring to Paige for awhile. Adversity either builds character or reveals it. Let's see how the team (and the team leaders) responds to this unfortunate dilemma.

Get well soon Paige.

Reaction Score
Well, we knew it was something, so this is actually great news because it isn't an ACL or MCL tear or a meniscus. Now it's time for Evina. CW, and everyone else to step up and take ownership. We will see soon enough. I think you will see extended playing time from the bench and a new focus. In a strange way, this may benefit us in March.

Reaction Score
Not the best scenario but must better than a ACl . 6-8 weeks will pass very quick. Pray a complete recovery, Paige, have a good rest and we love you.

Reaction Score
Well, we knew it was something, so this is actually great news because it isn't an ACL or MCL tear or a meniscus. Now it's time for Evina. CW, and everyone else to step up and take ownership. We will see soon enough. I think you will see extended playing time from the bench and a new focus. In a strange way, this may benefit us in March.

This is how I'm trying to look at it. There's been a tendency IMO for the team to sit back & let Paige try to win the game for them. Now they'll have to do it themselves. This could be a blessing in disguise.

Reaction Score
If the school made the announcement that she’s out for 6-8 weeks I’m assuming they don’t plan on keeping her out for the year if the injury heals as it should. Keeping her out longer, wouldn’t really do anything. Once it’s fully healed, it’s good to go.
This could be a blessing in disguise for the rest of the team. They need to step up and learn to play without her.
Wishing you all the best PB

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Want your teeth to hurt:

• Tibial plateau fractures are complex injuries produced by high- or low-energy trauma. They principally affect young adults or the ‘third age’ population.
  • These fractures usually have associated soft-tissue lesions that will affect their treatment. Sequential (staged) treatment (external fixation followed by definitive osteosynthesis) is recommended in more complex fracture patterns. But one should remember that any type of tibial plateau fracture can present with soft-tissue complications.
  • Typically the Schatzker or AO/OTA classification is used, but the concept of the proximal tibia as a three-column structure and the detailed study of the posteromedial and posterolateral fragment morphology has changed its treatment strategy.
  • Limb alignment and articular surface restoration, allowing early knee motion, are the main goals of surgical treatment. Partially articular factures can be treated by minimally-invasive methods and arthroscopy is useful to assist and control the fracture reduction and to treat intra-articular soft-tissue injuries.
  • Open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF) is the gold standard treatment for these fractures. Complex articular fractures can be treated by ring external fixators and minimally-invasive osteosynthesis (EFMO) or by ORIF. EFMO can be related to suboptimal articular reduction; however, outcome analysis shows results that are equal to, or even superior to, ORIF. The ORIF strategy should also include the optimal reduction of the articular surface.

There is more, but I think you've had enough.

Reaction Score
Paige's health, and recovery should be everyone's concern, more so than the effect it has on the team. ESPN has already written an article on how this will play out for UCONN WBB. We may lose some games, but we know in the back of our minds that , hopefully, we are getting the best player in the country back.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Not familiar with this type of fracture but a quick Google suggests that it probably was not a non-contact injury, it just didn’t get fully aggravated until what we witnessed. Maybe earlier in the game where she hit the deck several times. Meaning this situation.was probably going to happen fairly soon even if she was already out of the game. Hope for a speedy and not too painful recovery.
I was watching the replay of the game again last night. After her 3/4 court bomb to CW right before the half, she jumped way up in celebration and came down on her left leg first. She didn't exactly wince, but if seemed as though her next step was very slightly gingerly. If there was indeed a precedent injury, I would first look there for a culprit.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Reiterating what others have said, this is not a “worse case” scenario. A torn ACL is a 6-9 month recovery process vs 6-8 weeks for the tibia fracture. Paige is young and healthy and should heal quickly.

Everyone on the team needs to step up now and hold down the fort until Paige is back, hopefully before the Big Dance.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was watching the replay of the game again last night. After her 3/4 court bomb to CW right before the half, she jumped way up in celebration and came down on her left leg first. She didn't exactly wince, but if seemed as though her next step was very slightly gingerly. If there was indeed a precedent injury, I would first look there for a culprit.
I thought the same thing.

Reaction Score
Did the injury start with one of her previous fouls? Just curious.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Looking on the bright side, this injury could have been far worse...........Over all UConn has been pretty lucky as far as injuries go over the past few years compared to some of their rivals...........I view this as a great growth opportunity for the rest of the team to step forward and play their best basketball while they await their teammates' return.........they'll certainly have a great cheerleader on the bench rooting them on..........
GA said he feels the O is unwatchable without her. Hope it becomes watchable pretty quick. We’ll see how Evina and Niki do because they are the most likely ball handling candidates. Some of Paige’s points will be shared among the other players, but you don’t easily replace one of the likely top 10 players in the history of the game. Anna would’ve come in handy. Paige is such a joy to watch.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Paige will have a long and successful career in basketball and this should hopefully just be a blip on the radar for her career overall. There were other possible outcomes that would have been much worse than a blip.

So I take it as good news, even though it throws the 2021-2022 season into turmoil. And presumably no lingering impact on 2022-2023, which was not certain 24 hours ago. And we actually might be looking pretty good in mid to late March, knock on wood.

BTW, congrats to everyone on the Boneyard who predicted that it was a tibial plateau fracture.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If the doctors clear her in six weeks or eight weeks, I would be VERY surprised if he held her out for the year. She would be cleared to play by the end of January. If the doctors say she is OK to play, why would he sit her for another 6+ weeks?
If the doctors clear Paige in 6-8 weeks, she will make Geno’s life a living hell if he tries to keep her out any longer… ;)

Reaction Score
The interesting thing about the covid eligibility year is that there’s no pressure to decide about redshirting the season. Wishing her a speedy and full recovery. No doubt she’ll continue to be a vocal leader.

Reaction Score
Well, I am glad that they diagnosed the injury and have a proper plan for recovery. I hope that she has the patience to be patient in order to have a complete recovery. I believe that she will be anxious to get going again.

In the meantime, her teamates need to provide support to her with encouragement and happy thoughts. I am looking forward to seeing how this team will rally behind her on and off the court.

Reaction Score
Reiterating what others have said, this is not a “worse case” scenario. A torn ACL is a 6-9 month recovery process vs 6-8 weeks for the tibia fracture. Paige is young and healthy and should heal quickly.

Everyone on the team needs to step up now and hold down the fort until Paige is back, hopefully before the Big Dance.
age has nothing to do with it, she already had a surgery in the offseason now more rehab. They need to shut her down for the season.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If the doctors clear her in six weeks or eight weeks, I would be VERY surprised if he held her out for the year. She would be cleared to play by the end of January. If the doctors say she is OK to play, why would he sit her for another 6+ weeks?
I would not be surprised if she was held out for the year. As stated by the Reno Orthopedic Center, "By 6 weeks, patients are extremely comfortable. They cannot be released to full activities such as manual labor, skiing and motocross until about 4 months. Aggressive return to activity too early can result in re-fracture, hardware breakage or nonunion". One reason for this is it is rare to only just break the bone. This is an injury that can involve the bone, meniscus, ligaments, muscles, tendons and skin around the knee. All of that needs time to heal as well. However the outcome, this is all a tough challenge for Paige as well as the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom