Paige out 6-8 weeks [Merged Thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Paige out 6-8 weeks [Merged Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wishing Paige all the best. Rest and recovery done on her (and the medical staff's) timelines; not ours. I'm relieved that this isn't any type of long-term career affecting injury.

Now we will see how her teammates respond in her absence.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This is how I'm trying to look at it. There's been a tendency IMO for the team to sit back & let Paige try to win the game for them. Now they'll have to do it themselves. This could be a blessing in disguise.
But let's keep the blessings to a minimum. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Kobe Bryant had same injury, same leg, also from a hyperextension, in a game in Dec. 2013, and missed the rest of the season. But he was 35. Hopefully the younger Paige will heal more quickly. Her patience with the whole process will be a huge factor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
GA said he feels the O is unwatchable without her. Hope it becomes watchable pretty quick. We’ll see how Evina and Niki do because they are the most likely ball handling candidates. Some of Paige’s points will be shared among the other players, but you don’t easily replace one of the likely top 10 players in the history of the game. Anna would’ve come in handy. Paige is such a joy to watch.
I know that Geno is being his usual sarcastic self because if he truly means it, what does it say about his coaching and or his recruiting of this team??

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If the doctors say that is completely unnecessary, why would you overrule the doctors???

and I am sure the team of doctors is extensive and some unaffiliated with the team.

Reaction Score
I’ll defer to Paige’s doctors and coaches on that decision.
then defer to the doctors when you make a comment like "she is young she will heal quickly"

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Want your teeth to hurt:

• Tibial plateau fractures are complex injuries produced by high- or low-energy trauma. They principally affect young adults or the ‘third age’ population.
  • These fractures usually have associated soft-tissue lesions that will affect their treatment. Sequential (staged) treatment (external fixation followed by definitive osteosynthesis) is recommended in more complex fracture patterns. But one should remember that any type of tibial plateau fracture can present with soft-tissue complications.
  • Typically the Schatzker or AO/OTA classification is used, but the concept of the proximal tibia as a three-column structure and the detailed study of the posteromedial and posterolateral fragment morphology has changed its treatment strategy.
  • Limb alignment and articular surface restoration, allowing early knee motion, are the main goals of surgical treatment. Partially articular factures can be treated by minimally-invasive methods and arthroscopy is useful to assist and control the fracture reduction and to treat intra-articular soft-tissue injuries.
  • Open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF) is the gold standard treatment for these fractures. Complex articular fractures can be treated by ring external fixators and minimally-invasive osteosynthesis (EFMO) or by ORIF. EFMO can be related to suboptimal articular reduction; however, outcome analysis shows results that are equal to, or even superior to, ORIF. The ORIF strategy should also include the optimal reduction of the articular surface.

There is more, but I think you've had enough.
I read something similar. It makes Paige’s injury sound like a less severe case of this type of injury. I certainly hope so.

Some of you may remember that my granddaughter plays Division III soccer. In the second game of the year with her team trailing by a goal in the final minute, she fired a shot from in front of the net and made lower body contact with a defender. The ball was deflected, and Caitie fell to the ground writhing in pain. Everyone feared it was an ACL tear, and even the trainer said it seemed like one. But the MRI revealed “only” a bone bruise. While extremely painful, it healed quickly, and with crutches, rest, and PT, she was back playing in 3 weeks.

Best wishes to Paige Buckets. We all feel for her and wish for a complete and speedy recovery. I hope she can be patient.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I know that Geno is being his usual sarcastic self because if he truly means it, what does it say about his coaching and or his recruiting of this team??
I’m pretty sure he was being both sarcastic and accurate. Niki was out of control against ND and Evina is not an obvious point guard. CW is not a point guard. Maybe DeBerry;) Joking, joking , joking.

Reaction Score
Wishing Paige all the best in her recovery! Grateful for her that this was not season-ending and that she'll be able to play again in a couple months. While not the best-case outcome, it is certainly not the worst-case either and I'm sure everyone is thankful to hear that!
Actually, the injury is likely to be season-ending if you read about the nature of recovery (above). Surgery may be needed if the bones in the knee are not aligned, which includes reinforcing the alignment with hardware. Even if no surgery is needed immediately, the swelling will have to abate before that is known. Follow-up, after about 3 months, includes extensive physical therapy and muscle strengthening exercises to address atrophy. Future concerns include arthritis in the joint.
More needs to be known, but according to the typical recovery schedule it's unlikely Paige will play again this year. So sad.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I doubt this will lead to a medical redshirt....assuming her recovery goes well.
If she plays in any game in the second half she would not have that option.
Since last year did not count against her in terms of eligibility she still would have 3 years to play after this year with no redshirt used.

First priority: get her 100% healthy...in some significant way I think she is a huge part of women's hoops going forward...if healthy. If she is healthy playing for UConn from mid-Feb thru early April we have a realistic shot at a ring. Without her...not so much.

Thank heavens for no ACL tear!
Work hard on the rehab...zero doubt that Paige will do that. Plus...please be patient.

Go Paige!

Reaction Score
This is very good news! Not the ligament - which could be recurring. Also, 6-8 weeks with a tibial plateau fracture must mean a hairline (mild) fracture with no surgery/pins for support. Typically, the recovery time is 4 months or more with these types of fractures with/without surgery.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
then defer to the doctors when you make a comment like "she is young she will heal quickly"
Not quite sure why you would object to an optimistic and hopeful comment, and try to characterize it is a medical opinion. But if you really want a medical opinion on how age impacts healing relative to bone fractures, here’s what the National Institute of Health has to say.

“Increasing age has been shown to negatively affect the cellular and molecular processes throughout the different stages of bone fracture healing.”

Reaction Score
My granddaughter, a super fast softball pitcher, broke her throwing arm in a snowboarding accident in February and had to cheer her team on from the bench but in early May, watching her team fall behind, she told coach she was ready. Dubious, I had her pitch to me on the sidelines. The radar gun showed her speed had increased by five mph and she took the mound, throwing a perfect three innings as her team rallied to win. You can come back stronger and better after a fracture. But make sure it is healed. Do not rush her back. If she has to take a red shirt year, she and Azzi and Caroline will be unstoppable in three years.

Reaction Score
My granddaughter, a super fast softball pitcher, broke her throwing arm in a snowboarding accident in February and had to cheer her team on from the bench but in early May, watching her team fall behind, she told coach she was ready. Dubious, I had her pitch to me on the sidelines. The radar gun showed her speed had increased by five mph and she took the mound, throwing a perfect three innings as her team rallied to win. You can come back stronger and better after a fracture. But make sure it is healed. Do not rush her back. If she has to take a red shirt year, she and Azzi and Caroline will be unstoppable in three years.
why would she red shirt when she can enter the draft next season?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
ROY.jpg

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I was watching the replay of the game again last night. After her 3/4 court bomb to CW right before the half, she jumped way up in celebration and came down on her left leg first. She didn't exactly wince, but if seemed as though her next step was very slightly gingerly. If there was indeed a precedent injury, I would first look there for a culprit.
I was thinking the same thing. Great minds etc. I had a close friend who jumped with excitement in a similar way, and tore his Achilles tendon!

I think it's safe to assume that this injury did not occur with 38 seconds to go in the game.

Agree or disagree?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geez, finally. I mean come on youse guys are "supossedly" doctors. How long can it take to figure this stuff out???? :rolleyes: And so much for our BY Holiday Inn Express doctors. I didn't see any mention of a "Tibia Plateau Fracture".

Best of luck to Bueckers. I'm sure it will feel like forever to her, and maybe us too. But she'll be back, hopefully sooner than later.

And lastly LOL to all those posters who were complaining there would not be enough minutes to go around with all the talent Geno has this year. Nice job screwing up the season for us. :mad:

Reaction Score
Good to hear that it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. The kid is going to make millions so I would say shut her down for the year, but Paige is not going to want to sit out. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s back at the beginning of February. With SCs physicality, I would leave her out of that game

Now it time for EW and C to prove why they were one of the top kids of their classes.
I'd agree, Hayven. Much of our attention will go to Dorka, Caroline and possibly others down the line until Azzi and hopefully Aubrey return, but I believe this is the time for Christyn and Evina to raise the level of their games.

I don't know if they have it in them, but it would be cool to see them respond to Paige's absence and to Olivia's recent excellent play by becoming the Huskies' go-to players 'til Paige's return.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc