PAC-12 Chaos | Page 22 | The Boneyard

PAC-12 Chaos

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
On a day when GameDay was at KU for the first time? You're crazy. KU was ranked #18 and TCU #17. The KU QB was a Heisman candidate. He got hurt in the first quarter of that game and it was a blowout. Season went down hill from there.

KU is like UConn. If UConn was #18 and playing #17 TCU at home, with ESPN at the Rent, would people in CT tune in? I think so.
TCU was the higher ranked team. There you have it.

Reaction Score
This was very informative.........

I hear you, but this guy has really studied it. Two quotes resonated with me...."the northeast is a lost region" (he believes college football gave up on it years ago) and "Conferences are looking for regional dominance". One was a gut punch but the other could be an opportunity for someone with a long-term vision.

Reaction Score
You realize this is not a Big 10 board, right?
You realize this is a PAC 12 thread, right? Half of the PAC 12 is potentially headed to the B1G.

So anal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hear you, but this guy has really studied it. Two quotes resonated with me...."the northeast is a lost region" (he believes college football gave up on it years ago) and "Conferences are looking for regional dominance". One was a gut punch but the other could be an opportunity for someone with a long-term vision.

I remember those quotes too.

This presentation made me more convinced than ever that Notre Dame will remain independent, but it is interesting that the hold up to their NBC contract renewal is that NBC is insisting that Notre Dame form a scheduling agreement with the B1G or just flat out schedule more B1G games because those matchups draw the highest ratings. Plus, it gives NBC (and CBS/FOX) access to Notre Dame away games. The holdup isn't the money, it's the insistence on Notre Dame playing more B1G games.

Other key takeaways:

FOX, NBC and CBS are trying to consolidate all non-SEC teams that can draw 4 million + viewers into the B1G and have B1G programming an essential part of their inventory going forward into the future world of streaming. This is why FSU and Clemson may make the cut ahead of Stanford and Cal, even though Stanford and Cal as universities fit the B1G mold the most.

There was a good mix of praising the Big 12 for what it has done/is doing, while at the same time putting them in their place that the only reason they are pulling this off is because these are all schools that neither the SEC or B1G want.

I loved this history lesson too. I had no idea that the Penn Quakers used to draw 80,000 fans at a time Penn State was lucky to draw 25,000. Had the Ivy League remained committed to the highest level of football, the northeast corridor might have looked different today in terms of fan passion and top-level recruits. When the Ivy stopped caring, so did most of the fans in the northeast who moved on to professional sports.

No one knows the answer to how big is too big in terms of an actual number of teams in a conference. The answer is however many teams are profitable enough to bring in. 20 - 24- 30 - They can't tell us. Depends on the financials. My gut instinct is tell me it's going to be either 20 or 24. I think it will go over 20 if Stanford and Cal join the B1G. But what do I know?

When he talked about the SEC's future problem of not having a full day's worth of coast-to-coast inventory, that is something I never even considered. The graph that showed game ratings on network TV vs. cable was telling. Especially since the cable channels are losing subscribers. The only games the SEC will be able to compare to the B1G in ratings will be the ones that air on ABC. The ESPN games will all rank lower than the games on NBC, Fox and CBS. I had no idea the ratings between network TV games and cable TV games were so far apart!

I felt like a sponge soaking up everything watching that video.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There was a good mix of praising the Big 12 for what it has done/is doing, while at the same time putting them in their place that the only reason they are pulling this off is because these are all schools that neither the SEC or B1G want.
It's ironic, but this is a palpable strength of the Big 12.

Reaction Score
I remember those quotes too.

This presentation made me more convinced than ever that Notre Dame will remain independent, but it is interesting that the hold up to their NBC contract renewal is that NBC is insisting that Notre Dame form a scheduling agreement with the B1G or just flat out schedule more B1G games because those matchups draw the highest ratings. Plus, it gives NBC (and CBS/FOX) access to Notre Dame away games. The holdup isn't the money, it's the insistence on Notre Dame playing more B1G games.

Other key takeaways:

FOX, NBC and CBS are trying to consolidate all non-SEC teams that can draw 4 million + viewers into the B1G and have B1G programming an essential part of their inventory going forward into the future world of streaming. This is why FSU and Clemson may make the cut ahead of Stanford and Cal, even though Stanford and Cal as universities fit the B1G mold the most.

I loved this history lesson too. I had no idea that the Penn Quakers used to draw 80,000 fans at a time Penn State was lucky to draw 25,000. Had the Ivy League remained committed to the highest level of football, the northeast corridor might have looked different today in terms of fan passion and top-level recruits. When the Ivy stopped caring, so did most of the fans in the northeast who moved on to professional sports.

No one knows the answer to how big is too big in terms of an actual number of teams in a conference. The answer is however many teams are profitable enough to bring in. 20 - 24- 30 - They can't tell us. Depends on the financials. My gut instinct is tell me it's going to be either 20 or 24. I think it will go over 20 if Stanford and Cal join the B1G. But what do I know?

When he talked about the SEC's future problem of not having a full day's worth of coast-to-coast inventory, that is something I never even considered. The graph that showed game ratings on network TV vs. cable was telling. Especially since the cable channels are losing subscribers. The only games the SEC will be able to compare to the B1G in ratings will be the ones that air on ABC. The ESPN games will all rank lower than the games on NBC, Fox and CBS. I had no idea the ratings between network TV games and cable TV games were so far apart!

I felt like a sponge soaking up everything watching that video.
There are 131 programs in FBS, and he painted a very bleak picture for any school not in the top 2-3 conferences. Assuming the B10, SEC and B12 each have 24 teams that means that 60 programs will wither on the vine and schools will eventually be forced to drop football. Not immediately but soon enough. The multiplier effect to the other sports - esp MBB - would be massive. While I can 100% see how market forces could make that happen, I struggle to believe (or don’t want to) the college experience could change so drastically for so many schools.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are 131 programs in FBS, and he painted a very bleak picture for any school not in the top 2-3 conferences. Assuming the B10, SEC and B12 each have 24 teams that means that 60 programs will wither on the vine and schools will eventually be forced to drop football. Not immediately but soon enough. The multiplier effect to the other sports - esp MBB - would be massive. While I can 100% see how market forces could make that happen, I struggle to believe (or don’t want to) the college experience could change so drastically for so many schools.

What everyone but apparently message board posters can figure out is that if 70% of D1 athletic programs went away, the remaining 30% would be worth 10% of their current value. College sports is unique among sports entertainment worldwide in that everyone is either directly connected to a school, and knows people that are directly connected to schools. That direct connection to some schools creates interest to other schools and the two major sports as a whole. If the P2 pull that away, they won't simply absorb the fans from the schools that were kicked out. Those fans will go away.

And as I have said before, if the number of teams gets concentrated enough, the NFL and NBA will just step in, squash college sports, and create a minor league in its place. The only reason those two leagues allow a multi-billion dollar enterprise of college athletics to exist is because it is too hard to create the network of fan interest and rivalries that exists between 125 D1 football programs and 350 D1 basketball programs.

Reaction Score
What everyone but apparently message board posters can figure out is that if 70% of D1 athletic programs went away, the remaining 30% would be worth 10% of their current value. College sports is unique among sports entertainment worldwide in that everyone is either directly connected to a school, and knows people that are directly connected to schools. That direct connection to some schools creates interest to other schools and the two major sports as a whole. If the P2 pull that away, they won't simply absorb the fans from the schools that were kicked out. Those fans will go away.

And as I have said before, if the number of teams gets concentrated enough, the NFL and NBA will just step in, squash college sports, and create a minor league in its place. The only reason those two leagues allow a multi-billion dollar enterprise of college athletics to exist is because it is too hard to create the network of fan interest and rivalries that exists between 125 D1 football programs and 350 D1 basketball programs.
Yep, it's insane. They're intentionally destroying college sports.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Kliavkoff has done a fantastic job in protecting his members. 12 months ago, the Big 10 tried to gut the league, and many expected it to be dead in the water. When it looked like the Pac 12 might get a media deal, ESPN/Big 12 launched a full blown PR campaign to try to destroy the league.

Despite that, Kliavkoff got a deal from a credible source, Apple, that is not bad. It sets a floor for his members in their negotiations with other leagues, and has panicked the linear networks, who after declining the Big 10's and Big 12's overtures to fund adding members, are now suddenly at the table. If 7-8 of the remaining 10 Pac 12 schools find a home, it will be because of Kliavkoff.

Reaction Score

Fans at other message boards like Pitt, syracusefan.com, and others in the PAC and ACC all feel the same way. They are ruining college football and no one seems to care. There will be plenty of fans and talented football players for the programs who seemingly get left out, but they have to play somewhere.

Let's say AZ and ASU get invited tonight. Let's also remember who coaches the ASU basketball team. That's where I'm placing all my chips.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My son an I felt it would be three conferences with 22. Hate this direction.

Reaction Score
Just a little inventive monster creation of a bi-coastal conference.

The Big East and the Big West (22 teams - 6 crossover bball games a year, bball T in MSG, football CG in LA)

Big East: UConn, PC, Nova, Gtown, Seton Hall, Xavier, Marquette, Creighton, Butler, DePaul, Memphis

Big West: Oregon St, Gonzaga, Washington St, St Mary's, Cal, Stanford, San Diego St, Boise St, SMU, Colorado St, USF

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just a little inventive monster creation of a bi-coastal conference.

The Big East and the Big West (22 teams - 6 crossover bball games a year, bball T in MSG, football CG in LA)

Big East: UConn, PC, Nova, Gtown, Seton Hall, Xavier, Marquette, Creighton, Butler, DePaul, Memphis

Big West: Oregon St, Gonzaga, Washington St, St Mary's, Cal, Stanford, San Diego St, Boise St, SMU, Colorado St, USF

Yeah, that looks awful.

Don’t do that anymore.

Reaction Score
The Big East made their feelings about football schools quite clear. Can't see them ever climbing back into that bed.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I don’t want to be reminded.

I am trying to forget that and the people who think that we’re gonna be easily able to keep pace with the power schools while raking in the same amount of money as Seton Hall and Butler
Possible UConn sugar daddy billionaires in CT. Anyone know if any are UConn alums and/or care enough to pitch in a measly few million dineros to the Husky Athletic Fund?

#13. Clifford Asness
– Net worth: $1.6 billion (#1,869 wealthiest in the world)
– Residence: Greenwich, Connecticut
– Source of wealth: money management

#12. Mario Gabelli
– Net worth: $1.9 billion (#1,596 wealthiest in the world)

#11. Vincent McMahon
– Net worth: $2.3 billion (#1,361 wealthiest in the world)
– Source of wealth: entertainment

#10. Lucy Stitzer
– Net worth: $2.5 billion (#1,253 wealthiest in the world)
– Source of wealth: Cargill

#9. Alexandra Daitch
– Residence: Old Lyme, Connecticut

#8. Brad Jacobs
– Net worth: $3.9 billion (#792 wealthiest in the world)
– Source of wealth: logistics

#7. Stephen Mandel Jr
– Net worth: $3.9 billion (#788 wealthiest in the world)
– Source of wealth: hedge funds

#6. Todd Boehly
– Net worth: $4.5 billion (#660 wealthiest in the world)
– Residence: Darien, Connecticut
– Source of wealth: finance

#5. Alexandre Behring
– Net worth: $5.2 billion (#540 wealthiest in the world)
– Source of wealth: investments

#4. Karen Pritzker
– Net worth: $6.2 billion (#431 wealthiest in the world)
– Residence: Branford, Connecticut
– Source of wealth: hotels, investments

#3. Andreas Halvorsen
– Net worth: $6.6 billion (#397 wealthiest in the world)

#2. Steve Cohen
– Net worth: $17.4 billion (#107 wealthiest in the world)

#1. Ray Dalio
– Net worth: $22.0 billion (#78 wealthiest in the world)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's what we're reduced to
1. It’s a step backwards from the current Big East and 2. None of the schools that have football are going to have any interest in anything like this.

Reaction Score
Possible UConn sugar daddy billionaires in CT. Anyone know if any are UConn alums and/or care enough to pitch in a measly few million dineros to the Husky Athletic Fund?

#13. Clifford Asness
– Net worth: $1.6 billion (#1,869 wealthiest in the world)

#12. Mario Gabelli
– Net worth: $1.9 billion (#1,596 wealthiest in the world)

#11. Vincent McMahon
– Net worth: $2.3 billion (#1,361 wealthiest in the world)
– Source of wealth: entertainment

#10. Lucy Stitzer

#9. Alexandra Daitch
– Residence: Old Lyme, Connecticut

#8. Brad Jacobs
– Net worth: $3.9 billion (#792 wealthiest in the world)
– Source of wealth: logistics

#7. Stephen Mandel Jr
– Net worth: $3.9 billion (#788 wealthiest in the world)

#6. Todd Boehly
– Net worth: $4.5 billion (#660 wealthiest in the world)
– Source of wealth: finance

#5. Alexandre Behring
– Net worth: $5.2 billion (#540 wealthiest in the world)
– Source of wealth: investments

#4. Karen Pritzker
– Net worth: $6.2 billion (#431 wealthiest in the world)
– Residence: Branford, Connecticut
– Source of wealth: hotels, investments

#3. Andreas Halvorsen
– Net worth: $6.6 billion (#397 wealthiest in the world)

#2. Steve Cohen
– Net worth: $17.4 billion (#107 wealthiest in the world)

#1. Ray Dalio
– Net worth: $22.0 billion (#78 wealthiest in the world)
We should move UConn to Greenwich.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak