OT: Where you from? How'd ya get here (CT or BY, take your pick)? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Where you from? How'd ya get here (CT or BY, take your pick)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
South Florida. During the year 1994-1995 I did an internship in CT and fell in love with UConn WCBB during that amazing run. Never stopped being a fan. I used to love Mens CBB but for years I have found the women's game to be more interesting.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Taught at Yale for quite a while; then got wooed away to the mid-west, cough, cough. Several of us in my dept. at Yale were/are huge UConn WBB fans!

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Wow!! Very impressive to see new new 'Yarders bringing their stories to us... Great new recruits to the best WBB forum on the internet. (I really feel my 26280+ days now!!!)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
My favorite answer to this question is from Vonnegut's "The Sirens of Titan". When the Space Traveller is asked "How came you here?", he answers (and I paraphrase loosely from memory) "I came here through a series of accidents, as did we all". Which, except to a predestinationist, is indisputably true. My precipitating accident was Mrs. Z's getting hired onto the Languages faculty of UConn, back in nineteen-ought-ninety-eight, the same year I retired from my job in Houston. As the new kid on the block, as it were, she was put in charge of the TAs in the Language Dept. (something like 21 of them.) One of her functions was to deal with any problems that came up. A lot of them did, and one of them involved a young lady named Swin Cash, who had a problem with her Spanish TA. Mrs. Z straightened it out, as a result of which she got acquainted with Swin and as a result of that we spent the next couple of years being given tickets to sit in the Relatives Section (or whatever it is called.) It would almost always turn out that someone on the team would have tickets that they were not using, and we were, of course, happy to fill the void. We had heard of wcbb in a vague sort of way before this; Rebecca Lobo, Chamique Holdsclaw and the UConn-UT rivalry (remember that?), but one game of actually watching the Sveta/Shea/Sue/Swin/Tamika/Asjha/DT gang and we were hooked for life. Not the first game we attended, but he first game I vividly remember, was the Bird at the Buzzer game, when Shea went down for the last time.

As so frequently happens in the Ed Biz, we moved on, but have remained and will remain enthusiastic fans.

Reaction Score
Moved with family to CT in 2001, just a month before 9/11, to escape the unaffordability of San Francisco for families with kids. Miss it a lot, sometimes wish we would have moved up to Mendocino, but if we had, would never have discovered the UConn WCBB team, which my daughter, now almost halfway through her college career at U of Pittsburgh and a rabid Panther in all other respects, adopted and still lives and dies for (well, there hasn't been much need to die these last couple of years ... okay, there were those three unpleasant hiccups involving that team in green in 2012-2103, but who had the last laugh?), and now we watch together from 450 miles apart, she the eternal optimist and me pretty much the opposite, except, really, what was there to be pessimistic about this past year, not even I really believed that being 8 points down once or twice would matter in the end, as indeed it didn't, and my wife, who feels so attached to the team that she couldn't bear to watch the championship game, was able to come to the TV with 4 minutes to go because I assured her that we had the game in the bag, and if I could make that assurance, she knew it was safe to emerge from under the covers. But do miss SF, as I said, except don't miss those so-called "summer" months, which out in the Inner Richmond -- and even South of Market -- were damned unpleasant too much of the time. On the other hand, these Connecticut winters are not warming the cockles of my heart, either, whatever cockles are....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is the best OT thread ever!!!
Just love the stories and the passion.
Tidepool - I had some friends visiting and having watched the men's NC with them (I am not that invested in the team so my heart could take it live) I insisted we go out to dinner during the women's game with the DVR taping away. I sat with my back to the bar area where the game was on the TV and depended on an occasional thumbs up signal from my friends to know that we were OK. We got home with about 10 minutes left and with a high teens lead I watched the last part live and then went back and enjoyed the whole thing again. So ... I understand your wife completely!

Reaction Score
One of the "novelties" of my cross country journey through life is I have experienced nearly every "natural disaster" known to man, either first hand or in the nearby vacinity.

Earth movement - not exactly a landslide or mud slide, more akin in a strange kind of way to a sink hole. My parents had a new home built in a new housing development. My father, being a professional photographer, took pictures all through the building process from before construction began up until the very end. Shortly after moving in, walls started having cracks appear. Walls were seperating from the foundation. Cracks in the walk way. Very subtle but over time became obvious something was wrong. Eventually, the house was so bad and walls tilted so significantly that the house was condemned. Two days after we moved out, the living room ceiling came down. They ended up tearing down the house and it made national news. I faked sick the day they tore down the house thinking it would be cool. Instead, it was traumatic as the chimney crashed onto my room. My grandparents in Omaha saw me on the NBC Nightly News which covered the story. When my father started looking over the pictures, it was clear that the instability of the hillside was present even before construction began. They sued, and won enough to pay off the remaining mortgage plus a little more. The land remains contruction free to this day, even though the lot has been for sale for decades.

Flood - Yup, but not directly. The washes in Southern California overflowed in the general area where I lived, and came very close to one of my best friend's house. I remember my family driving over to watch as the water raged outside the concrete boundaries, filling fields and rushing under the roadway bridges.

Brush fire - Yup. One came within 500 yards of my house and our housing development was saved largely by the heroics of the farmer who owned the land across the highway from my street. I can still see him on his tracter, with his shirt off and dangling from the back of his pants, driving THROUGH the flames and smoke. Hero doesn't even begin to cover it! And this was on the eve of my 12th birthday. While my parents were putting the silver, insurance papers, treasured photos in the car, all I cared about was my stupid birthday presents. I still remember one was a purple rug in the shape of a foot that I wanted in the worst way!

Earthquake? Yup a magnitude 6.6er on February 9, 1971. We lived about 5 miles from the epicenter. No structural damage, but OY! The mess when the contents of the refrigerator and pantry (that were opposite each other) met in the middle in a big stinking pile on the carpeting in the kitchen. (Never did understand why there was carpeting in the kitchen in the first place.) Wine bottles fell out of the closet, I walked over broken glass to get to my mother and sister in the doorway of my parents bed room. While much was damaged contents-wise, my mother's darn treasured ceramic rooster that was the surving one of a pair (the first of which my sister and I broke while horsing around) did not move an inch. Not a single centimeter. It remained in the exact area where there was a small dust outline. My sister and I found this funny because my mother had been so angry with us for breaking the mate and told us if we broke the other one we would surely be sorry. My most vivid memories were of watching the water slosh out of the toilet, the swinging lamp in the corner of my parents bedroom hitting the walls as it swung, and sleeping for WEEKS afterward in the old Rambler station wagon in the driveway.

Then we moved to Nebraska:

Blizzards - Yup, many of them. And bone numbing cold. But that is not all that special

Tornadoes you ask? Yes...was in my high school when it was hit by a tornado. That tornado eventually grew to be an F4, but my high school sat very near where it initially touched down so it hadn't grown to monster size yet. Still, I was never so terrified as I had just called my mother to come pick me up from track practice and was sure she was caught in it. My mother was stopped from leaving the house by my sister who saw the twin tails drop out of the sky in the area of the high school and start throwing up debris. They joined into one funnel just about where the high school sits. She thought I was dead in the high school, I thought she was surely dead. It was hours before a neighbor who happened to work at the school was able to get me home after going miles out of the way due to the damage around the high school. Still remember the barn that was across from the high school flattened, with horses in the trees and the house build on slab (no basement) that was flattened - almost. The only thing left standing was the interior closet. Yes indeedy, it is the safest place to be if you don't have a basement.

Then, on to Connecticut:

More blizzards and a couple of hurricanes and tropical storms. But, really, those pale in comparison to the earthquake and tornado.

What have I missed? Volcano? Nope, nada. Meteorite strike? Nope. But I am a survivor! Just call me the catastrophe queen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom