OT: Where you from? How'd ya get here (CT or BY, take your pick)? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Where you from? How'd ya get here (CT or BY, take your pick)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I was born a poor black child. But I persevered. Graduated HS in the early 80s from RHAM in Hebron. Went to SCSU and partied too much and stopped going after soph season. Movie star #Michael Jai White roomed right across the hall from me in Hickerson Hall. He was Mike White from Bridgeport then. We hung out.

In '86 I watched Laura Lishness play against Platt HS a couple of times. I decided to follow her as she went off to UConn. Been watching Geno's teams ever since.

Went back to college and graduated from CCSU in '97. Got married in 2003 and reside somewhere in Madison. I feed2 cats and a dog daily. I bird a lot. I work in land use.

I am Dove of the Boneyard. I think Nan is cool.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I am amazed at how far-flung we 'Yarders are! It seems like we have posters from all over the US and plenty of other countries as well. And one thing we all have in common is our love for the national capitol of basketball and it's reigning queens! This thread is a great read, and I'm grateful to Chapette for starting it, and everyone who is reading and/or contributing to it. It's very instructive to learn what an interesting bunch we belong to....:) Go Huskies!

And on edit, yes, I posted this because I mean it, but also to bump it up and keep it going....

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I was born a poor black child. But I persevered. Graduated HS in the early 80s from RHAM in Hebron. Went to SCSU and partied too much and stopped going after soph season. Movie star #Michael Jai White roomed right across the hall from me in Hickerson Hall. He was Mike White from Bridgeport then. We hung out.

In '86 I watched Laura Lishness play against Platt HS a couple of times. I decided to follow her as she went off to UConn. Been watching Geno's teams ever since.

Went back to college and graduated from CCSU in '97. Got married in 2003 and reside somewhere in Madison. I feed2 cats and a dog daily. I bird a lot. I work in land use.

I am Dove of the Boneyard. I think Nan is cool.
Good ole RHAM. We scrimmaged RHAM in the pre-season in 1978 and 1980 when I played at E.O. Smith...probably before your time though.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Born in Springfield, but moved to Agawam at a young age. Graduated from Agawam High School in the 60’s. Attended AIC, but hated it. Once skipped 6 straight weeks of classes. and was politely asked to leave after my freshman year. Drafted in January 1966, but fortunately never left the USA. After a few drug hazed years returned to college at the University of Hartford in the early 70’s. Spent my last semester at the library reading everything I could find about computer programming. Married a girl from Rockville in 74 (celebrating 40 years this fall) and began working at a local Springfield bank in their programming group in 76.

Moved to the Boston area in 1978 and eventually got my first real software ‘engineering’ job at Honeywell in 1980 writing IBM terminal emulation software for Honeywell mini-computers. Had a house built in Pepperell in 1980 and our son Ian was born there in 1987. He’s currently finishing up his 2nd year of law school in Chicago, which turned out to be a great coincidence since I’m a livelong Cubs fan and have now gotten to see 2 games at Wrigley Field (a 3rd this August). During the 80’s also worked for Ztel, voice/data PBX startup writing communication firmware and IDEAssociates writing terminal emulation software for PC’s.

Moved to northern California (Dixon) in 1989 and went to work for Apple in Berkeley, this time writing IBM emulation software for Mac’s. Later in the 90’s worked for another small startup writing ODBC & JDBC database driver software. After our son came back east to attend Connecticut College my wife and I moved to Washington St. (it was pretty, reminded us of New England) and I went to work for a small company writing Java-based client/server software. Turns out we hated the Washington weather and decided to retire in St. George, Ut. Still do a little consulting for my former Washington employer and also do some iPhone/iPad software. Currently one app in the app store and working with my brother (lives in Connecticut) on another.

After moving to St. George decided to return to tennis, which I played avidly in the 80’s, but had not played since moving to Ca.

Started following the UConn women during their 1st championship run in 95 and have never looked back.

Serve.jpg

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Grew up in the SF bay area and decided on 3 basic criteria for selecting a college.
1. As far away from home as possible
2. A great basketball team
3. A chance to walkon and play football

UCONN provided all three and so I arrived on campus in 1990 with a garbage bag full of clothes that included the first winter jacket id ever owned and the rest is history.

ps. I left Connecticut for Lake Tahoe immediately following my senior year and never looked back. I love the place with all my heart but west coast livin is for me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Moved to northern California (Dixon) in 1989 and went to work for Apple in Berkeley, this time writing IBM emulation software for Mac’s. Later in the 90’s worked for another small startup writing ODBC & JDBC database driver software.

You must be a great emulator. And I always hated the ODBC driver errors!

Reaction Score
This thread has ended up getting a lot more traction than I thought it would. Figured one or two would contribute then it would quickly move to page 2.

I especially love the fact that a lot of "novice" posters have chimed in.

Seems there are a lot of connections among us, obscure and otherwise. Fun reading.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Grew up in the SF bay area and decided on decided on 3 basic criteria for selecting a college.
1. As far away from home as possible
2. A great basketball team
3. A chance to walkon and play football

UCONN provided all three and so I arrived on campus in 1990 with a garbage bag full of clothes that included the first winter jacket id ever owned and the rest is history.

ps. I left Connecticut for Lake Tahoe immediately following my senior year and never looked back. I love the place with all my heart but west coast livin is for me.

You used us.

Reaction Score
Ok, here goes. Born on Long Island a while ago (!) lived in 5 towns until we moved to Southern CA at age 11. Mom hated it there so we moved back a year later. Finished High School on LI and went directly into the Service. (Hence the picture). Trained for a year in Denver, did 3 years in Myrtle Beach, (how hard is that?). Met DH there and married, moved up to CT for job opportunity. Had 2 babies in rapid succession and moved to a little town called New Fairfield. DH and I did night school at WesConn to get our degrees. Eventually, I ended up working with a woman named Mrs. Rizzotti and the rest is history. All four of us have been crazy wild fans of UConn since 1994 and enjoy watching all winter, keeps us sane! (Hate winter) Every game is watched and every ref that calls something on a UConn player is informed of their mistake, (sometimes loudly). This year was particularly fun because we followed the men's team with as much enthusiasm as the women. This was a very happy household indeed on April 8th!

No matter where our paths take us in the future this family will always be a UConn family. Bleed Blue!!!

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Chapette, I’m hoping that I won’t loss a grade point for tardiness but in any event, here goes….

Born on Long Island, NY while my parents were on a visit to my fathers parents and then quickly back to my true home in CT. Did what every young man in Fairfield county does... I went to college in Boston(1969)... after a year I decided it was time to go out on my own and 'discover' America so I bought a panhead and westward I went. A year or so later I was in the USMC and on my way to an all expenses paid 13 month trip to SouthEast Asia. Once back stateside I made a plan because that's just the right thing to do... ask my grandfather, he'd tell you so... like any good plan, my plan had to meet my goals and that meant that my plan would be pretty simple because my goals were pretty simple... my Goals:: to chase and catch unchaste girls, Beer--lot’s-o-beer, & a world class tan. Check, Check & Check… Man alive that was a GREAT plan and well executed too!!!

So, Florida it was.... I picked up a BA in Accounting, a BS in Marine Biology, played college baseball(right field-I was there for my bat NOT my glove) but more importantly I dated a very pretty journalism student that knew exactly how to tame me.

It was the mid 1970's when she got her first job at a regional paper as THE women's sports reporter-read that “let her cover girls sports-chuckle-chuckle-chuckle and it won’t cost us much(no expense account)”…. I had a reliable but tiny car(a 1973 MGB), soooooo I spent a few years driving her from one university to another. Softball games to bball games, to coach and/or player interviews to anything and everything that had some connection to women's sports. We normally traveled from Florida to as far west as Texas and as far north as Virginia. My favorite team women’s bball team at the time was Rutgers. I became my favorite with the hiring of Coach Grentz… she was a great hire and a real character. She’s a hard person not to like.

Life was easy in Florida but back in those days making a living was damned near impossible so I moved to CT where I picked up my 3rd & 4th degrees:: Math & Comp Sci and worked as an Assembly programmer on Sperry Univac 1100 series and IBM 360/195’s and eventually 370’s. I did a little micro-coding by mainly systems work… By the early 1980’s the most interesting work in Comp Sci was found in Silicon Valley and on the Rt 128 Tech highway north of Boston, so off to Massachusetts again where I picked up 3 grad degrees. I admit that I may have education addiction but it is a pretty harmless addiction don’tcha think?

One of my coworkers was a UConn men's bball fan(his brother-in-law played on the team-1988). Every so often he and I would drive down to watch his brother-in-law practice and on a few occasions we’d catch the women practicing… but my switch from being a Rutgers fan to a UConn fan came with their first sweet sixteen. And so it goes…. The rest of this story is still unfolding… and I’m lovin’ every moment of it.

Your Ol’ Pal Boo

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I grew up in Norwalk CT and still live there. Growing up playing sports and working as a caddy at Shorehaven Golf Club. Attended St Thomas the Apostle School and Central Catholic High. Then won the lottery.....military lottery and attended Finance School and spent 2+ years at FT Bragg NC Finance and Accounting Office. I was incharge of the finance records for the POWs who came back from Nam. Went to Sacred Heart Univ. and was very involved with everything there. Graduated with Degrees in Accounting and Business. Was Captain of the Golf Team for 2 years. Got married and have 3 daughters. I own Coppola Accounting and Financial Services in Stamford CT. I followed the Huskies on CPTV in 1995. Dont remember how I learned about the Boneyard or from who, might have been Kib. I been a fan ever since.

Last edited:

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Ok, here goes. Born on Long Island a while ago (!) lived in 5 towns until we moved to Southern CA at age 11. Mom hated it there so we moved back a year later. Finished High School on LI and went directly into the Service. (Hence the picture). Trained for a year in Denver, did 3 years in Myrtle Beach, (how hard is that?). Met DH there and married, moved up to CT for job opportunity. Had 2 babies in rapid succession and moved to a little town called New Fairfield. DH and I did night school at WesConn to get our degrees. Eventually, I ended up working with a woman named Mrs. Rizzotti and the rest is history. All four of us have been crazy wild fans of UConn since 1994 and enjoy watching all winter, keeps us sane! (Hate winter) Every game is watched and every ref that calls something on a UConn player is informed of their mistake, (sometimes loudly). This year was particularly fun because we followed the men's team with as much enthusiasm as the women. This was a very happy household indeed on April 8th!

No matter where our paths take us in the future this family will always be a UConn family. Bleed Blue!!!
Too bad that they are retiring the Warthogs!

Reaction Score
Yawn Alert-do not read this is you are getting ready to operate heavy machinery!

Born (1963), raised and stayed Mystic CT. Grew up on the hardwoods as my father, Walter Brown was a 35+ year basketball ref in SECT (as well as baseball umpire). Despite the good bloodlines (Dad and his Stonington Bears won the state title in 56' and supposedly Dad never saw a shot he didn't like), the closest I got to basketball greatness was playing alongside Harold Pressley for 4 years before he achieved his greatness at Villanova and the NBA. In HS hoops quickly found out that there are two things that can't be coached-hustle and jumping ability and I had just one. Fortunately the HS track/jumping coach saw me in the layup line and rescued me!!

Like many others I can say Rebecca and Jen pulled me into WCBB and Uconn women's hoops and the TASSK force and DT pretty much sealed the deal. By the time Maya came around I was beginning to forget that Uconn was still fielding a men's team. I have to admit that I only learned of the Boneyard about 3 years ago and believe it or not before that I thought:

1) Tonyc was a tragic Red Sox slugger
2) David in Naples was a high end hair salon in FL
3) I knew was a jump shot was
4)Knowing the Uconn recruits meant you could point to the end of the bench on opening night and name names
5) I was the biggest Uconn women's hoops homer (see #1)

Seriously, I can't put into words how much this BY forum has contributed to my enjoyment of Uconn Women's Hoops-thanks to all!!

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Yawn Alert-do not read this is you are getting ready to operate heavy machinery!

Born (1963), raised and stayed Mystic CT. Grew up on the hardwoods as my father, Walter Brown was a 35+ year basketball ref in SECT (as well as baseball umpire). Despite the good bloodlines (Dad and his Stonington Bears won the state title in 56' and supposedly Dad never saw a shot he didn't like), the closest I got to basketball greatness was playing alongside Harold Pressley for 4 years
Obviously, you must have gone to St. Bernard. I am also class of '81 and we ran cross country against St. B but I don't think we ever met in track or basketball...what event did you do in track?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Chapette, I’m hoping that I won’t loss a grade point for iness but in any event, here goes….

My favorite team women’s bball team at the time was Rutgers. I became my favorite with the hiring of Coach Grentz… she was a great hire and a real character. She’s a hard person not to like.

I admit that I may have education addiction but it is a pretty harmless addiction don’tcha think?

Your Ol’ Pal Boo
Although I was in school when TG was hired, I only started watching WBB her last year at RU, by which point she was "tired" to be polite. Not all her fault, she wanted to move into athletics administration and admin was still a bit of a boys club. Never-the-less, I agree that she was very likable - a star center on the old Immaculata teams that are so famous, as you probably know. The last year we were in NJ they did a fund-raising fan club function honoring both her and CVS, and her speech was entertaining and very "fund raising" worthy (something she actually does professionally for Immaculata). My wife and I were at her WBB HOF induction, not specifically for her as Viv went in the same year, but we were there none-the-less. Our friends donated banners for both coaches for the RAC.

I couldn't afford - timewise or financially - an education addiction, but I have to admit that I regret that. Of course, my educational interests were not really in line with any career interests, more of a desire just to know. Part of the attraction of various trivia books, not because I really care about a lot of the facts, but because of what they often say about what folks believe and how they behave.

Reaction Score
Obviously, you must have gone to St. Bernard. I am also class of '81 and we ran cross country against St. B but I don't think we ever met in track or basketball...what event did you do in track?
Harold and I were class of 82, but I left after freshman year and played ball and ran track-all jumping events, at East Lyme HS where my mother taught.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Well, I went to E. O. Smith, so we were both were in the ECC when you switched to East Lyme. I ran distances, but also sat on the bench for bball. In the 1980 to 1981 season, I recall beating East Lyme at your place pretty handly despite East Lyme having a huge height advantage...kind of like UCONN vs. Ky this year LOL.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Although I was in school when TG was hired, I only started watching WBB her last year at RU, by which point she was "tired" to be polite. Not all her fault, she wanted to move into athletics administration and admin was still a bit of a boys club. Never-the-less, I agree that she was very likable - a star center on the old Immaculata teams that are so famous, as you probably know. The last year we were in NJ they did a fund-raising fan club function honoring both her and CVS, and her speech was entertaining and very "fund raising" worthy (something she actually does professionally for Immaculata). My wife and I were at her WBB HOF induction, not specifically for her as Viv went in the same year, but we were there none-the-less. Our friends donated banners for both coaches for the RAC.

I couldn't afford - timewise or financially - an education addiction, but I have to admit that I regret that. Of course, my educational interests were not really in line with any career interests, more of a desire just to know. Part of the attraction of various trivia books, not because I really care about a lot of the facts, but because of what they often say about what folks believe and how they behave.
The first two degrees were partially covered by my GI benefits... the rest was paid for by working as a landscaper, painter, sculptor, dishwasher, cook, and boat captain. But the bulk of my education has been funded by the companies I chose to work for...

One early decision was to go the route of pay as you go rather than to use student loans. I may have been able to 'purchase' more education more quickly using student loans but I just didn't want the debt and figured that I had a lifetime to win the race.

When I'd choose a company to work for, one of the key criteria was subsidized education. B or better freebies... gotta love 'em. Sometimes it was company policy and other times I negotiated the benefit. The library of text books that I've accumulated over the years is another story... That cost me a kings ransom. Rather than just buying the book the course required(which was usually also paid for by my company), I bought several text/reference books that covered the material... Thankfully, they have served me and my projects well over the years.

Another part of this came with the choice my wife & I made with respect to our 'Date Nights.' She had a BA from Smith and BS from MIT and was as addicted as I before I met her... We set aside 2 - 3 nights a week to work on either a degree program or on onesie courses of interest. That left us several nights a week for the rest of the world's guilty pleasures... It precluded Doctorates but it also meant that we could live a fuller/richer life... We did this fall, spring, and summer semesters... and we loved it..

Finally, there was the environment we lived in... We lived in Newburyport Ma. most years and Cambridge/Watertown for a few years.... Our work was centered in the tech area defined by the Rt 128 to the north and the Charles river to the south. Harvard, MIT and several of the best schools in our nation were within our range. BTW, the Harvard night school is a tremendously valuable resource.

An unexpected benefit has been the folks I've been privileged to meet. My wife was involved early on with the MIT robotics lab and eventually I was drawn into its web as a mentor on language processing. It also was the catalyst for a friendship with one of my brother's pals... Dr. John Grotziner... He is currently project scientist for the Mars rover program... Interesting guy. Education brought me time with interesting experiences and people, so for me, whatever the costs, , it was worth it. Over a 35+ year period it all adds up nicely.

YOPB

Last edited:

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
...My wife was involved early on with the MIT robotics lab and eventually I was drawn into its web as a mentor on language processing. It also was the catalyst for a friendship with one of my brother's pals... Dr. John Grotziner... He is currently project scientist for the Mars rover program...
upload_2014-4-28_14-19-18.png

Thanks for posting on the 'Yard; enjoying watching the impact you make here, from afar…
It seems quite subtle when the situation permits, but one way or another, invariably effective
S/F, Arty

Reaction Score
I have no Connecticut connection except my brief consideration of Wesleyan University as a college choice. I settled on the U. S. Air Force Academy and after graduation, spent ten years as a helicopter pilot while on active duty and served twenty more years as a reserve staff officer, retiring as a colonel.

My wife and I are from West Virginia but currently live in Georgia. For some reason, I always chose to pull for UConn those few times I could catch them on TV. I become more invested during Maya's first year. I always appreciated the effort displayed by the Husky teams but when the best player on the floor (Maya) is also the hardest worker, that speaks volumes. The program built by GA, CD, and the rest of the staff and apparently well-supported by the university is easy to admire. The effort and mental toughness that this program demands has made it easy to become a fan. Now that I've retired from my military and civilian careers, I have the time to be a more involved fan. At the same time, my wife has also become a serious fan. Once she joins me in retirement, we plan to spend a part of at least one season in Connecticut. We spent two winters in Montana so the cold weather won't be a complete shock.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Grew up around UConn...my father was a Sociology Prof. Played basketball at E.O. Smith and then went to UConn myself (ran track for one year and played a little intramural ball).
Joined the Navy in 1985 and still have about 4 years left. We have lived in San Diego for the last 11, although I spent most of two of those years in Afghanistan. Currently, taking care of Marines at Camp Pendleton.
Started on the Boneyard circa 1996.
Spent 4 years in San Diego courtesy of the Navy also. Some of the best times of my life. Came back to CT for a family visit and never got back.

Reaction Score
Born in Waterbury Ct and graduated UCONN in 1977 (lived in the old Crawford C dorm on South Campus). Went to law school at Villanova and then moved to Delaware. Watched EDD in high school and was thrilled when she chose UCONN. Well, that didn't last too long. Get to as many games as I am able and had a great time in Nashville at the NC. Enjoy the Boneyard and learn a lot from you. Thanks to the people who make it happen

Reaction Score
I'm from small European country, Slovenia. Not sure you all even heard of it! It's a country with 2 million people, right there between Julian Alps, Adriatic sea, Dinaric Alps and Pannonian basin. Due to the time difference, most of the games are in the middle of the night (that's why I like those early games, that start early in the afternoon CT time) here, but that's not a problem... I just take one for the team. ;)

Of course, there is no coverage of women's college basketball whatsoever, but as huge basketball fan as I am, it was only a matter of time for me to discover all the beauties of it.

The way I found UConn Women is actually pretty funny and unusual - a friend of mine sent me a Youtube video of Caroline shooting some trick shots and I liked it, but had no idea who she is and where she plays. But again, as a huge basketball fan, I dug into it, came across UConn team and liked it in a second. Been a hardcore fan since then!

I got to Boneyard via ESPN women's college basketball forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom