OT: Where you from? How'd ya get here (CT or BY, take your pick)? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Where you from? How'd ya get here (CT or BY, take your pick)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Born <10 minutes from Gampel (although it would not be there for another 35 years). As a kid my uncle brought me to games at the old Field House. I vaguely remember Wes Bailosuknia, Toby Kimball, etc. My oldest clear recollection of UConn B-Ball from around that era was seeing UMass's Dr. J play. A few years later my friends and I would sneak into the field house to play basketball. I remember playing around buckets and wet spots in the leaky old field house.

A far as WCBB goes that interest started with the 1990 final 4... I remember thinking (naively)that Jennifer Azzi "sure doesn't play like any girl I've ever seen". And then the very next year UConn got there... hooked.

I have schooled, worked and lived in CT my whole life.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Grew up around UConn...my father was a Sociology Prof. Played basketball at E.O. Smith and then went to UConn myself (ran track for one year and played a little intramural ball).
Joined the Navy in 1985 and still have about 4 years left. We have lived in San Diego for the last 11, although I spent most of two of those years in Afghanistan. Currently, taking care of Marines at Camp Pendleton.
Started on the Boneyard circa 1996.

Reaction Score
I was born and raised in Norwalk and have lived in CT all of my life. Being an Irish Catholic, my immediate family and cousins were all Notre Dame fans. Fighting Irish football was more important than than the religious part. And college football was always my favorite sport. When UCONN decided to go D1 in football, Notre Dame became my second favorite. I finally bought season tickets for the first time, last week.

I fell in love with the men's basketball progaram in Calhoun's first year. His team had very little talent, but outworked everybody. What he built in Storrs is mindboggling. There were a few of his teams that turned me off, but Kemba brought me back. Though my favorite player was Scott Burrell.

I have been coaching basketball since 1986 and girls since 1991 (including 15 years of AAU ball). Started following the women's team a little back then, but not until CPTV got involved did I become a diehard. While i love the women's program for their dominance. I love them more for their unselfishness on the court and the way they handle themselves off the court. I feel Geno Auriemma is the best coach in all of sports. Maya Moore is my favorite player with Ralph and Rizzotti not far behind.

I found the Boneyard while I was searching for info on women's recruits and now I read it everyday.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Grew up around UConn...my father was a Sociology Prof. Played basketball at E.O. Smith and then went to UConn myself (ran track for one year and played a little intramural ball).
Joined the Navy in 1985 and still have about 4 years left. We have lived in San Diego for the last 11, although I spent most of two of those years in Afghanistan. Currently, taking care of Marines at Camp Pendleton.
Started on the Boneyard circa 1996.
Thanks

YOPB

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
Any time you would like to post more pix of the mini mojo keeper, please do. She is adorable! Enjoy your posts, too.

Aw, thank you! I don't post about her too often because I don't want to hijack any threads or clog up the board during the season. But she's awesome! :D

Ask and ye shall receive. ;)

Easter 2014
DSC01639_zps302a4459.jpg

2014 Final Four game
1959244_10101832710874601_7537838737795829220_n_zpsb62944b3.jpg

Reaction Score
Born in Bloomsburg PA because my Mom had me young and back then you had your baby elsewhere.

Lived, and still live in Danbury, CT.

Went to UCONN my first two years of college; but I was having such a good time that I didn't keep my grades up. Parents pulled the plug and brought me home. But UCONN stayed in my heart.

Saw my first college basketball game in an empty field house watching the men and have been hooked on both teams since then. Corny Thompson where are you??

I #bleedblue .

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
... I spent most of two of those years in Afghanistan. Currently, taking care of Marines at Camp Pendleton...
Bravo Zulu! Good to see you aboard, HH. So, Chaplin Corps or Medicine? (Not that it matters… come to think of it, I prayed at least as earnestly in the dental chair, as in any chapel!)
Semper Fi,
Arty

Reaction Score
Born and grew up in Danbury, where I read about a local New Fairfield girl, Jen Rizzoti playing ball and UConn and that the game would be on TV. Watched it and was hooked ever since. Went to Bridgeport last year for the biggest games I've seen in person, have seen a few regular season games in person over the years. Don't miss one now if I can possibly help it. If there is a game, it's on my TV.

Reaction Score
Born in Jersey City, NJ during the Baby Boomer era. Lived in the suburbs of NYC until I went to college in upstate NY, St. Lawrence University (not too far from Nan's school). Spent a year studying in Rouen, France during that time. After college, moved to a NJ suburb of NY, Hasbrouck Heights, and taught French in Rutherford NJ, but eventually migrated into the business world (Ingersoll Rand Financial Corp) and found I loved it even more than teaching. I have no idea why!

Met my husband (and if you think I am a lurker, my husband is "he who posts nowhere, ever!") at said job and just around the time we were getting married, he was transferred to CT, so we settled in Enfield where we remain to this day.

In the year of the Rebecca Lobo championship, older daughter was in high school planning on attending UConn, and a whole group of them went out to welcome the team back, and it was all uphill from there as excitement built. My husband was gifted with some tickets in the corporate area so we started attending games in, I believe it must have been 1998. Both daughters attended and graduated from UConn, one of them being a tuba player in the women's pep band during the Diana years. Met her husband there in band, too.

For a period of time, we attended all games at both venues, but it got to be too much, time-wise, so now we only go to games at the XL Center where we sit with the originator of this thread! She and I met on the old AOL boards, at one point had a large group attending together, but they drifted (not that they are not still huge fans, but they just don't go to games).

Not quite ready to retire yet, but when we do, it may be to the Lakes Region of NH.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Bravo Zulu! Good to see you aboard, HH. So, Chaplin Corps or Medicine? (Not that it matters… come to think of it, I prayed at least as earnestly in the dental chair, as in any chapel!)
Semper Fi,
Arty
Thank you! Ooh rah...Navy doc. First to the Fight, Inchon...1st Marines!

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Some good stories (lives) here. I guess I can do mine too. I think I've done this before, but probably nobody paid attention anyway....soooo.....

I was born about 52 years ago in Galesburg, IL. Did not live there though until about 7th grade. Had moved all over IL (Mattoon, Rockford, Peoria) and even Atlanta GA (for a couple years) before returning to my (and Carl Sandburg's) birthplace. (no sign for me though) Graduated from there and went into the Navy, and started moving around again (Great Lakes IL, Orlando, Idaho Falls ID, Norfolk VA, Scotland and finally ending up in CT - Groton, Norwich, E. Windsor) After I got out of the Navy settled in the Springfield area, where I am still. Though would love to be someplace warmer. Have worked in the Nuclear Power and Electrical Distribution industries since I got out. Had 3 kids while I was in the Navy. All 3 are still in the area as is their mother, my ex. Remarried (much better) 5 years ago. Her 2 kids are still in the area too. We try to get them all together when we can. But kids got their own lives now. No grandkids or sons-daughter in-laws yet. My ex's birthday is today. She's fitty, looks much older :)D), I should give her a call and laugh at her. :cool: (yes, I am a smart@ss)

Followed sports my whole life. Remember watching the St. Louis Cardinals growing up. Basketball, baseball, football, olympics, anything sports. Remember in HS watching the boys and girls HS tournaments on TV (yes the girls HS tournaments were on TV back in the 70's in IL - IN ain't got nothin' BB on us :D). Jackie Joyner (no Kersee then) and her E. St. Louis Lincoln team winning the state championship.

Picked up UCONN women around the 94 season I think. I remember following their run in 95. Wasn't (and really still not completely) a UCONN fan, mostly just a UCONN women's fan. Although I'm fine if the men and the FB teams do well. My roots are too deep in FB (Michigan, Illinois) and men's BB (Indiana, Illinois, Duke, Michigan) to really get into UCONN (and my kids went to UMASS). Found the BY around the same time, through the Courant. DD and I made sure Jacobs knew they were partly responsible for all this. :rolleyes:

Do a lot with soccer now. Arsenal is my favorite team (as one can tell from my avatar). I coach, ref, mentor, teach reffing, but knees won't allow me to play anymore. But I watch as much as I can. Looking forward to the World Cup this summer. Would love to have another in the states before I die.

Well, I've probably bored you enough, I'll sign off for now.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Some good stories (lives) here. I guess I can do mine too. I think I've done this before, but probably nobody paid attention anyway....soooo.....

I was born about 52 years ago in Galesburg, IL. Did not live there though until about 7th grade. Had moved all over IL (Mattoon, Rockford, Peoria) and even Atlanta GA (for a couple years) before returning to my (and Carl Sandburg's) birthplace. (no sign for me though) Graduated from there and went into the Navy, and started moving around again (Great Lakes IL, Orlando, Idaho Falls ID, Norfolk VA, Scotland and finally ending up in CT - Groton, Norwich, E. Windsor) After I got out of the Navy settled in the Springfield area, where I am still. Though would love to be someplace warmer. Have worked in the Nuclear Power and Electrical Distribution industries since I got out. Had 3 kids while I was in the Navy. All 3 are still in the area as is their mother, my ex. Remarried (much better) 5 years ago. Her 2 kids are still in the area too. We try to get them all together when we can. But kids got their own lives now. No grandkids or sons-daughter in-laws yet. My ex's birthday is today. She's fitty, looks much older :)D), I should give her a call and laugh at her. :cool: (yes, I am a smart@ss)

Followed sports my whole life. Remember watching the St. Louis Cardinals growing up. Basketball, baseball, football, olympics, anything sports. Remember in HS watching the boys and girls HS tournaments on TV (yes the girls HS tournaments were on TV back in the 70's in IL - IN ain't got nothin' BB on us :D). Jackie Joyner (no Kersee then) and her E. St. Louis Lincoln team winning the state championship.

Picked up UCONN women around the 94 season I think. I remember following their run in 95. Wasn't (and really still not completely) a UCONN fan, mostly just a UCONN women's fan. Although I'm fine if the men and the FB teams do well. My roots are too deep in FB (Michigan, Illinois) and men's BB (Indiana, Illinois, Duke, Michigan) to really get into UCONN (and my kids went to UMASS). Found the BY around the same time, through the Courant. DD and I made sure Jacobs knew they were partly responsible for all this. :rolleyes:

Do a lot with soccer now. Arsenal is my favorite team (as one can tell from my avatar). I coach, ref, mentor, teach reffing, but knees won't allow me to play anymore. But I watch as much as I can. Looking forward to the World Cup this summer. Would love to have another in the states before I die.

Well, I've probably bored you enough, I'll sign off for now.

Meyers,
You are many things, but boring is never one of them.....;) Thanks for sharing from your Midwest buddy (me).

Reaction Score
I was born in Ohio (western suburb of Cleveland), went to college in Michigan, went to NYC after graduation, worked for a bi-lingual law firm where I met my husband, an international banker. Married and moved to NJ. Moved to South America for eight years. My mother-in-law's health started to fail, so we moved to CT to help take care of her in 1988 (New Haven). We're a little dense and couldn't quite understand why the local broadcasters were making such a fuss about Yukon basketball. I finally wised up in '89 just in time to catch the dream season, and I was hooked. I also began watching the women on CPTV about then. I got a master's in education and worked in the New Haven school system for 9 years. In 1997 we moved to Idaho. I had to get satellite TV to watch the men and was only able to watch the women when they were broadcast nationally.

In 2001 my parents' health started to fail, so we moved back to Ohio. I was able to get full court to watch the men and streaming CPTV when it became available. Now the women's games are available on full court, also. So I'm all set.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Born, raised and still living in Cromwell CT. Started watching the men's hoops on TV in the late 70's when I was 10 and my oldest brother was going there. Got hooked right there. My brother also used to come home and bring me to some of the soccer games which deepened my love of the school. There was never any other school I wanted to attend. Graduated in 1990 and follow all sports at UCONN, though I mostly only attend football with a group of friends. I did get invited to the men's home game versus Memphis and it reminded how great the games were when I was in college. I will try to make more games next year.

Reaction Score
Born, raised and still living in Cromwell CT. Started watching the men's hoops on TV in the late 70's when I was 10 and my oldest brother was going there. Got hooked right there. My brother also used to come home and bring me to some of the soccer games which deepened my love of the school. There was never any other school I wanted to attend. Graduated in 1990 and follow all sports at UCONN, though I mostly only attend football with a group of friends. I did get invited to the men's home game versus Memphis and it reminded how great the games were when I was in college. I will try to make more games next year.
Born in New london,Ct. and now reside in Milford,Ct. Spent time working in the UCONN Sports Information Office.

Reaction Score
Great thread!
DD you're a puppy. :p
Icebear haven't seen yours yet.;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is on page 2, 2/3 to 3/4 of the way down.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The man has almost 17,000 posts and he can only say "Born and raised in Branford. I still have family there."??????
I like that; I have an employee of whom I have to always request the "Reader's Digest version".

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Since I'm new here, least I can do is introduce myself.

Originally from the Erie, PA area (back to that in a minute). I went to college at University of Chicago and have been in Chicago ever since graduating in 2010 (currently located in Noble Square).

Without me really thinking about it, I've been a fan of women's basketball most of my life. When I was in grade school, my high school, Fort LeBoeuf, had a star player that ended up going to Providence. She led FLB to the district playoffs for a few years in a row and my dad, brothers, and I always went to the games.

In college, I worked for Chicago's student newspaper, the Maroon and women's basketball was my favorite team to cover. A couple years after I graduated, one of my ex-housemates won D-III player of the year. The team at that time had five seniors and went undefeated in the regular season before losing in the sweet 16...and then the coach left for Bucknell and Chicago stopped being good, but oh well.

Watching my alma mater play reminded me that to check out that Erie girl who I heard so much about when she was in high school...one Kayla McBride. So, yeah, K-Mac is the reason I started following D-I women's basketball. Needless to say, I am a Notre Dame fan. I'll try to play nice but just yell at me if I post something that's not Boneyard-appropriate. Doggydaddy already set me straight once!

Ever since Chicago drafted EDD, I have also followed the WNBA and just bought a 5-game ticket package for this season. So I'm excited for that.

But mostly happy to be here and discuss women's basketball on what seems to me to be the best WCBB forum on the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom