ot:U.N.C. Investigation Reveals ‘Shadow Curriculum’ to Help Athletes | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ot:U.N.C. Investigation Reveals ‘Shadow Curriculum’ to Help Athletes

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
NCAA is going to drop the hammer down on UNC. It really has no choice. It's whole business model and the billions of dollars of yearly revenue it collects is predicated on a student athlete model where the "compensation" the athletes receive is their education. Former student-athletes are already suing the NCAA for using their likeness. What will happen to the NCAA if they don't punish schools who weren't even providing the education? This looks really bad for the NCAA and they have no choice but to come down hard. Check out the article below. Jay Bilas posted it to his twitter account. The most interesting part of the article this, "For example, 10 of the 15 members of Roy Williams’ 2005 national title team were AFAM majors."

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...al-wainstein-report-investigation-ncaa-102214

Yet he knew nothing about it!

Reaction Score
I take back my earlier statement in this thread that there will be no penalty. After reading a couple of the articles I think the death penalty is in play for both football and basketball. At a minimum I think there will be postseason bans and scholarship losses.

I say screw the retroactive title take-aways. Totally meaningless - can't replay the games. I guess if they need to strip titles to get money back then it is worthwhile. But nobody is going back to Greensboro in 1998 and pulling Jamison and Vince Carter off the court so that UConn could make its first final four.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
"...Unnamed sources stated that Emmert not only expressed surprise at the breadth of the scandal and how it could be perpetrated for so long, he also expressed admiration for the faculty in Chapel Hill for their outside the box thinking to create such a scheme."

Is that the Onion?

Reaction Score
This was during the dean smith era. Somehow he will escape any blame and still maintain his prestine reputation even though many of his stars were enrolled in these classes

I heard on the FAN, this morning that it goes back to Swofford's tenure as AD, and casts a shadow on him.

Love to hear his name dragged throught the mud.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not that I'm expecting UNC to lose it's accredidation, but they are having to expend manpower and energy on that aspect now.

Academics from these agencies are less likely to be swayed than the NCAA officials.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...298588-5a4b-11e4-9d6c-756a229d8b18_story.html

Accreditation questions are now facing the university.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools’ Commission on Colleges had placed the campus on its watch list until this summer and required the school to allow students who took a bogus course to take another for free. The commission will send the school a letter in the next few days asking administrators to demonstrate they are still in compliance with standards required for the seal of approval, SACS President Belle Wheelan said.

“What we would do is ask them is, this is bigger than you thought it was, what are you going to do now? It’s a mess,” Wheelan said.

The school’s response will be addressed by the 77-member board at its meeting in December, she said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom