OT - outdoor grilling | The Boneyard

OT - outdoor grilling

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
which do you prefer... gas or charcoal grilling?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
dude-are-you-serious.png

Nothing beats the taste of beef/chicken/pork cooked on a charcoal grill. :)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The grill on the deck is gas. I also have a propane fired smoker that works very well.

However, if I'm out camping, I cook in dutch ovens so charcoal is the fuel of choice.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Can't beat the convenience of gas and, as Kib said, if you know what you're doing the results are nearly equal. You won't find many barbecue restaurants that cook over charcoal. Plus, it is much easier to control the temperature of what you are cooking.

On edit: If gas, I would highly recommend a 3-burner grill because it is much easier to cook using indirect heat which is what a lot of recipes recommend.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
For the absolute best way to cook a chicken (oven but preferably grill or smoker), google BeeRoaster and get a magical gadget that provides a cylinder (doing beer-can duty), a tray for veggies, and clips for baked potatoes. Use a good rub outside the bird and beer or other liquids of choice in the cylinder and the end result is just heavenly. Beyond category.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
For the absolute best way to cook a chicken (oven but preferably grill or smoker), google BeeRoaster and get a magical gadget that provides a cylinder (doing beer-can duty), a tray for veggies, and clips for baked potatoes. Use a good rub outside the bird and beer or other liquids of choice in the cylinder and the end result is just heavenly. Beyond category.

I have a couple chicken/ turkey cannons. I have used beer and I have also use Coke. Both work very well. Bird comes out very moist!

And I add a mustard rub that I make, but places like Cabelas have a great assortment rubs to use. I have a good stock of those too. Rubs also go good on steaks too.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If gas, I would highly recommend a 3-burner grill because it is much easier to cook using indirect heat which is what a lot of recipes recommend.

Generally almost all heat from charcoal goes straight up and hits the bottom of the steak. Indirect heat (turn on side burners, place steak in center) (the steak doesn't know the diff between gas and charcoal) envelopes the meat. Much better. Use of wood chips seems easy with gas grills and the effect is wonderful. Add a nice rub (best source I know is www.stonewallkitchen.com) or just use salt/pepper/olive oil and you are in business. Top it off when served with Peter Lugar's Steak Sauce (or Newman's Own). mmmmmmmmmm

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I have and use both. We grill and eat out on the deck every night - weather permitting. Tonight it was Saugey hot dogs, chips, and baked beans with a Chianti to wash it down. After 40+ years of outdoor cooking we've decided that for us most stuff cooked over a gas grill is just fine but a few things such as brisket and ribs are better over charcoal.

BTW - Bricked chicken is way better than beer can - just like UConn wcbb is way better than all the pretenders. It's that much of a scoring margin.

Nothing beats a separate hi temp gas burner for frying a turkey or boiling some bugs, fixin' corn or searing blackened fish in a ribbed cast iron skillet - it's all about the heat.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Big fan of hardwood charcoal - I've had gas, I've done the briquets, but, hardwood charcoal is a nice compromise - hotter, faster, and cleaner than formed charcoal, and still has that ambiance that ya can't get from a propane tank.

Reaction Score
Like a few have stated, I have both. I like the ease of the gas grill. But there are days when I just want that good old fashion, throw some more lighter fluid on the coals, sit down and wait until the coals cool off because you got the coals too hot charcoal grilling. So I really don't have a preference. Sorry too waste your time rambling on :)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kib. I'm a visual learner. Awaiting your invitation to a demonstration... :)

You surely know that you have an open invitation to come to our place for BBQ and adult beverages. We ask only that you give us 24 hours' notice. And you BY regulars, same goes for you. We're in Norwalk and the welcome mat is always out.

House rules: No green or orange attire.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Interestingly, if someone wants to grill over charcoal, I think the flavor is unmatched.

However, I was never much of a devoted grill type and have a gas grill here in AZ. Works fine (except it isn't working at the moment, a whole other issue), especially for the items that we can't get enough heat going to cook inside.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Weber kettle for smoking pork butts, and projects like whole roasted turkey on it last thanksgiving. Weber gasser for quick, after work grilling. My father's day gift to myself every year is hanging out on the patio, smoking some pork for hours and having some cold ones. But even gas grilled burgers beat the heck out of ones cooked indoors.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I just picked up a Char Broil Tru Infrared propane grill and the way it cooks has been an amazing addition to the family. Everything is juicy!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We have the super Weber Genesis-300 grill, and just added cabinets on each side for all the rubs and stuff (essential for me). And we have a MasterBuilt combo smoker/grill that is outa this world. Inside, a Cuisinart griddler and Breville Smart Oven, plus the usual built ins.

Once again, before buying anything, check out www.amazingribs.com.

Your taste buds will never be the same.

Reaction Score
After UConn basketball, this is a subject near and dear to my heart. Living in the Southwest, smoking and grilling food is absolutely essential. The Weber Kettle is probably the most versatile route where by indirect and direct cooking you can smoke by adding wood chunks or direct grill and make a great steak. However, wood smoking is the primary method with offset smokers. By managing fuel, and air flow, you control temperature and for long low and slow cooks for the pork butts and briskets. I use two different Yoder Smokers to effect my smoked food which also includes ribs, beef and pork roasts, and whole chicken. Good eating for family and friends. Glad to see an interest on this forum in this type of cooking.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
There is a constant and intense competition between adherents of pork (Carolina) and beef (Texas) barbecue. Lexington, NC, is arguably the Mecca for the pork BBQ believers. In this small town they have several big BBQ restaurants. I am told that one emporium reminds customers what goes on inside by posting a huge sign out front:

"We Don't Hold With Beef!"

Reaction Score
Well, let me say this about that. Texas is the BBQ capital of the world. If you don't believe that visit Lockhart, Texas. Yes, brisket is the national dish of Texas, but all smoked food is held sacred. There is another saying around here that will also make you smile.

"If you don't like bacon, you are wrong."

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
Charcoal all the way. Better flavor. And face it, I'm scared to death of gas. I can't even go downstairs to do laundry if I can hear the furnace running. And frankly, I'd be happier with an electric heat pump instead. Of course, at that point, I'd be living down south instead.... ;)

Anyhoo, we grilled three times last week and it was heavenly. <3 Now it's too danged cold to even think about grilling.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Charcoal all the way. Better flavor. And face it, I'm scared to death of gas. I can't even go downstairs to do laundry if I can hear the furnace running. And frankly, I'd be happier with an electric heat pump instead. Of course, at that point, I'd be living down south instead.... ;)

Anyhoo, we grilled three times last week and it was heavenly. <3 Now it's too danged cold to even think about grilling.
I know this is off on a tangent, but we purchased a heat pump combo with our whole house air conditioning. We are in New York, near Danbury. The heat pump works great, until the temp gets below 32 degrees. So, we can use it Sept. thru mid December, then again March thru May. It is a myth that you can't use a heat pump in the Northeast. It has worked great for us.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Well, let me say this about that. Texas is the BBQ capital of the world. If you don't believe that visit Lockhart, Texas. Yes, brisket is the national dish of Texas, but all smoked food is held sacred. There is another saying around here that will also make you smile.

"If you don't like bacon, you are wrong."
and, of course ..

http://imgur.com/gallery/9uWCGnA

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
I know this is off on a tangent, but we purchased a heat pump combo with our whole house air conditioning. We are in New York, near Danbury. The heat pump works great, until the temp gets below 32 degrees. So, we can use it Sept. thru mid December, then again March thru May. It is a myth that you can't use a heat pump in the Northeast. It has worked great for us.

That's awesome! We had a heat pump from 2000-2002 in Florida, from 2005-2009 in Georgia, and from 2009-2011 in Alabama. Unfortunately, from experience, I can say that Iowa's a whole lot colder than Connecticut. Y'all just get a lot more snow. So here, a heat pump might be useless from November until May. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom