OT - outdoor grilling | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - outdoor grilling

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I had a tank refilled today at a local hardware store that happens to be a Weber dealer. He had a Weber Summit (only one "t") grill on sale for only $5G. The grill did everything except maybe spit-shine your flip flops.

Three hi BTU burners, a separate hi BTU sear burner, a large side burner big enough to handle boiling lobster or frying a turkey, a built in smoke box with it's own burner, an infrared rotisserie and a chill box. It weighs nearly 600 lbs.

My wife dragged me away before I did something rash - and expensive.

Reaction Score
I've never understood the popularity of beer can chicken. I tried it a couple of times years ago and couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Maybe as the article states - it's just kewl.

I almost always butterfly a grilled chicken. It's a simple matter to remove the backbone and splay the chicken flat. Soaked for a couple of hours in your favorite marinade and tossed on the grill it will end up as tasty and juicy as you could want. All parts of the chicken are cooked through and if you do it right the skin will be crispy good. My favorite variation on butterflied chicken is Italian bricked chicken. The best grilled chicken I've ever had.

409660_3653430019985_414409131_n.jpg

I tried the chicken your way today, except instead of marinating the chickens I put a different dry rub on each half. I must say it was the best chicken I've had all summer. The chicken was juicy and the skin was nice and crisp, I used a Kansas City rub, Kicken Chicken rub, Garlic and Herb rub, and a smoky mesquite rub. Thanks for the tip.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Im scared to start... I know I wont stop

I like the idea of chicken breast

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
how much are the gas cans, and is the refill price the same?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Im scared to start... I know I wont stop

I like the idea of chicken breast
how much are the gas cans, and is the refill price the same?

DC,

The going rate for a propane tank is about $30, available at Walmart or any hardware store. Refills are about $15. It's a good idea (at least eventually) to have two, so you don't have the embarrassing experience (as all grillers have had, at least once) of running out of gas with the food half-cooked.

Consider snagging some essentials (wire grill brush, set of tongs, spatula, can of PAM) plus some useful items (digital meat thermometer, gas gauge, etc., etc.).

Good thing about chicken breasts is they are not expensive and thus good to experiment with. Bad news is that it's easy for a beginner to grill them dry.

Go to "fine cooking" web site and find some advice from the master, Stephen Raichlen, about how to do them. A few easy variations and recipes designed for beginners. And it's free!

Good luck.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Kib you're the man... thanks for the advice
DC,

The going rate for a propane tank is about $30, available at Walmart or any hardware store. Refills are about $15. It's a good idea (at least eventually) to have two, so you don't have the embarrassing experience (as all grillers have had, at least once) of running out of gas with the food half-cooked.

Consider snagging some essentials (wire grill brush, set of tongs, spatula, can of PAM) plus some useful items (digital meat thermometer, gas gauge, etc., etc.).

Good thing about chicken breasts is they are not expensive and thus good to experiment with. Bad news is that it's easy for a beginner to grill them dry.

Go to "fine cooking" web site and find some advice from the master, Stephen Raichlen, about how to do them. A few easy variations and recipes designed for beginners. And it's free!

Good luck.
re

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
DC,

Good luck.
are 15lb tanks the norm...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
are 15lb tanks the norm...

Norm is 20 lb. Empty new about $30 at Walmart or Home Depot. Refills about $15. You should have got one when you purchased your grill (standard part of sale).

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
DaddyC - Most people think of one thing when grilling - meat. Don't forget all the veggies and fruits that are great on the grill.

When local peaches are in season (soon) try grilled peaches served hot with vanilla ice cream. There are many recipes on the internet. Our favorites - grilled with a cinnamon honey butter baste or grilled with a balsamic and brown sugar reduction.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Norm is 20 lb. Empty new about $30 at Walmart or Home Depot. Refills about $15. You should have got one when you purchased your grill (standard part of sale).
I got this grill on Black Friday 2013 sat in the box for 7 months. I guess my first purchase will be 2 tanks. I must fire this thing up asap. what about seasoning it, is that a must?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
update: finally got a propane tank from Walmart... 30.00 no gauge attached.

searched high and low to find a place that would fill it... all kept pointing to UHaul.

their website also showed that they sell tanks. I went there this past Saturday and purchased one of theirs (35.00) and got both filled for about 13.00 apiece

cranked up the grill this morning (Monday) with some dogs and burgers for starters... all is well

also purchased a smoker box and some wood chips but havent used them yet

#ineedaslabofribsortwo

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

searched high and low to find a place that would fill it... all kept pointing to UHaul.

their website also showed that they sell tanks. I went there this past Saturday and purchased one of theirs (35.00) and got both filled for about 13.00 apiece

cranked up the grill this morning (Monday) with some dogs and burgers for starters... all is well

#ineedaslabofribsortwo

A couple of racks of baby backs is an investment. The key in getting them "falling off the bone" is to cook them low and slow unlike the high heat usually used for burgers.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

#ineedaslabofribsortwo

YAY! Now you are a griller. A couple tips:

For the perfect burger. Add a little butter, a little Worcestershire sauce, a little parsley, and a couple squirts of lemon(!). The additives make it delicious and juicy and the parsley helps hold it together.

Don't even think about doing ribs until you either consult with www.amazingribs.com or with Raichlen's BBQ Bible.

When you get your most basic tools (e.g., tongs and spatula) avoid those cute things with wooden handles and go for the OXO metal ones.

Above all, remember that your grill is not a microwave. Go low and slow for best results.

Happy grilling.​

Reaction Score
I just got a salt block as a gift. It says to put it on the grill (charcoal) and bring it up to temp (400) slowly (30-60 minutes), then put the meat or fish on it. How do you control the heat-up rate on charcoal?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I just got a salt block as a gift. It says to put it on the grill (charcoal) and bring it up to temp (400) slowly (30-60 minutes), then put the meat or fish on it. How do you control the heat-up rate on charcoal?

I defer to the supremely expert advice by the experts on www.amazingribs.com (all available by email to answer questions like the one you posed).

Off the top of my head I suggest you rely on a good meat thermometer (ours is digital @ $14) and focus on the temp. of the meat or fish. (But my enthusiasm does not always = expertise.:rolleyes:)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
YAY! Now you are a griller. A couple tips:

For the perfect burger. Add a little butter, a little Worcestershire sauce, a little parsley, and a couple squirts of lemon(!). The additives make it delicious and juicy and the parsley helps hold it together.

Don't even think about doing ribs until you either consult with www.amazingribs.com or with Raichlen's BBQ Bible.

When you get your most basic tools (e.g., tongs and spatula) avoid those cute things with wooden handles and go for the OXO metal ones.

Above all, remember that your grill is not a microwave. Go low and slow for best results.

Happy grilling.​
I see, I was on high and fast... I said to myself "that was quick".

I must remember to have a plan because most meats are frozen and may take some time to defrost.

I agree, I would never use wood tools with fire.

I want ribs... guess I'll do some consulting

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
A couple of racks of baby backs is an investment. The key in getting them "falling off the bone" is to cook them low and slow unlike the high heat usually used for burgers.
thanks for the tips... seems like I need to take a few days off work to master this grilling thing

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
thanks for the tips... seems like I need to take a few days off work to master this grilling thing

No!

The tourist asks the NYC cop: "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

The response: "Practice. Practice. Practice."

Grilling is the same. (So is golfing or bowling or fishing or boating.)

You keep at it. Buy a new gadget. Get tip online or from a book. Experiment. Stay at it.

Eventually, you experience that culinary masterpiece!

And it's like a hole-in-one or a 300 game or a gold medal. Aaahhh!:D

Go for it!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
do you keep the propane tank connected to the grill after using it... or do you disconnect/connect each time?

I know my questions seems silly but as a newbie if I dont ask I wont know... and I'd never get to be as great as you guys

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You have to detach it and then store it at least 800 yards from your house.

mushroom-cloud-hb1.jpg

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
DC - Your leg is being pulled. Simply close the valve on the tank when you aren't using it. Propane tank safety

If you visit this link pay attention to the last 3 bullets.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
DC - Your leg is being pulled. Simply close the valve on the tank when you aren't using it. Propane tank safety

If you visit this link pay attention to the last 3 bullets.
VTC... you know dang well Im not falling for that, hopefully everyone understands that I play along. and thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger