OT: "Ode to NY" by #2 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: "Ode to NY" by #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's been a great player - certainly passes the HOF hurdle by a mile and I wouldn't complain if he was unanimous - if the crodgety old voters stopped trying to protect that status as if it was an important thing. He maintained a consistent level of excellence for a long time. As a White Sox fan, I've seen the Frank Thomases and Robin Venturas tail off quickly in their 30s. Jeter really didn't drop off until recently and his career numbers and WS rings speak for themselves.

However, if you think about how UConn fans were nauseous about all the Chris Duhon worship in 2004 (when we had Okafor), that's how it felt at times with Jeter. I still see the highlight of him picking a ball up off the ground and throwing it to the lead base in 2001 as if it was the greatest thing that ever happened in sport.

Juan Uribe made two spectacular defensive plays in the ninth to end the 2005 World Series - tumbling into the crowd to catch a pop up and charging a slow roller and nipping the runner with a snap throw for the final out. White Sox were up by a run, Astros had two on and one out. Never seen those highlights since that night. I can only imagine if Jeter did that, what might have happened. Would Pitt or Damon have played him in the movie?

Obviously Uribe is a journeyman so the comparison to Jeter is weak, but given the context - a team hadn't won since 1917, up by one run in the 9th, those plays could be part of baseball lore. They aren't even on YouTube.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Definitely. It helps to play in NY
Even as a Met in the mid-eighties. Still think that was the best team ever to win only one world series. And that was based on an incredible error.
On the negative side, Yankees can win their conference and get blasted for failing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The Yankees had many cheaters (not sure I said otherwise) we know of or believe and so did the Sox. How many titles do the Sox win without Papi and Manny my friend amongst others? Funny stuff... From what I know Jeter wasn't on the list and i know Papi WAS.....take it from there!! And again, he doesn't use a glove so please let's not even go there that's a joke.

You called him a cheater, so I was merely saying "pot. kettle. black." in return. And, the list is hardly a good barometer for who 'cheated'. Most of the Yankees transgression have been laid out in cold blood so to speak. They truly set the bar high for PED use in MLB.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Onion's post is a fair one. I wonder how many teams have ever had a player that would crack the Yankee top 5? Sox have 2.

Probably these:

Cardinals: Hornsby and Musial

Giants: Mays and Christy Mathewson (depends how you compare pitchers though - admittedly very difficult)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
However, if you think about how UConn fans were nauseous about all the Chris Duhon worship in 2004 (when we had Okafor), that's how it felt at times with Jeter. I still see the highlight of him picking a ball up off the ground and throwing it to the lead base in 2001 as if it was the greatest thing that ever happened in sport.

This.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Definitely. It helps to play in NY
Even as a Met in the mid-eighties. Still think that was the best team ever to win only one world series. And that was based on an incredible error.
On the negative side, Yankees can win their conference and get blasted for failing.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Them, not you.

Reaction Score
He's been a great player - certainly passes the HOF hurdle by a mile and I wouldn't complain if he was unanimous - if the crodgety old voters stopped trying to protect that status as if it was an important thing. He maintained a consistent level of excellence for a long time. As a White Sox fan, I've seen the Frank Thomases and Robin Venturas tail off quickly in their 30s. Jeter really didn't drop off until recently and his career numbers and WS rings speak for themselves.

Juan Uribe made two spectacular defensive plays in the ninth to end the 2005 World Series - tumbling into the crowd to catch a pop up and charging a slow roller and nipping the runner with a snap throw for the final out. White Sox were up by a run, Astros had two on and one out. Never seen those highlights since that night. I can only imagine if Jeter did that, what might have happened. Would Pitt or Damon have played him in the movie?

Obviously Uribe is a journeyman so the comparison to Jeter is weak, but given the context - a team hadn't won since 1917, up by one run in the 9th, those plays could be part of baseball lore. They aren't even on YouTube.
Probably these:

Cardinals: Hornsby and Musial

Giants: Mays and Christy Mathewson (depends how you compare pitchers though - admittedly very difficult)

No to Hornsby because he only played half of his career with the Cardinals, and while he was the greatest 2nd baseman of all time, half of Hornsby is not better than all of Mantle or Berra.

For the Giants you could make a case for Mel Ott as well.

Reaction Score
Well if Jeter staggered to his feet after Olbermann's first knock out punch, I don't think he's going to recover from this second haymaker....

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
What a jerk he is. My nephew/godson does sound for sporting events. When he was still in his early 20s he worked a game with Mr O who was just totally full of himself and obnoxious. Tried to embarrass my nephew on air. Even when the control booth explained the problem was back at the truck, as my nephew had stated, never apologized on or off air.
He moved to politics and MSNBC. His act was as bogus as Limbaugh's but on the opposite side of the aisle. I'm pretty liberal but I don't like misinformation, exaggeration and pompousness and that is all he has. In his career, it is obvious he wears out his welcome wherever he goes.

Reaction Score
Well if Jeter staggered to his feet after Olbermann's first knock out punch, I don't think he's going to recover from this second haymaker....

I hate Olbermann so much...a real jerk in all regards.
But man, what a fairy tale ending to go out for Jeter. Awesome

Reaction Score

What I love is hearing from a Red Sox fan who hasn't spoken all year because his team is awful and then some..........his second haymaker from you is nothing and he's more than recovered, he's hammering you!

Reaction Score

Keith Olbermann, I mean really Keith freaking Olbermann?!!? So this week I've heard people say Jeter is no different than Craig Biggio and Alan Trammell and somebody is trying to say Keith freaking Olbermann knocked out Jeter. I'm always amazed by how stupid some people are.

Reaction Score
Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber.

John, we're getting close to restraining order territory here, guy.

Baseball Reference calculates that the player whose career most closely resembles Jeter's is Craig Biggio of the Houston Astros.

Biggio retired seven years ago, with 3,060 hits and 1,844 runs scored. Jeter currently has 3,461 and 1,922, respectively, but Biggio had more doubles, home runs, and stolen bases. This year, in his second year on the Hall of Fame ballot, Biggio got 74.8 percent of the vote, missing induction by two votes. He will almost certainly make it next time around; no one really objects to the notion that a player like Craig Biggio belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Keith Olbermann, I mean really Keith freaking Olbermann?!!? So this week I've heard people say Jeter is no different than Craig Biggio and Alan Trammell and somebody is trying to say Keith freaking Olbermann knocked out Jeter. I'm always amazed by how stupid some people are.
I think the crux of Olbermann's argument is that it is possible to be a Hall of Famer and be overrated. I'd like to think even the most biased NY fan can admit Jeter was a very good player for a long time but also overrated.

I'm talking about his baseball career, not his career in the sack.

Reaction Score
What I love is hearing from a Red Sox fan who hasn't spoken all year because his team is awful and then some.....his second haymaker from you is nothing and he's more than recovered, he's hammering you!
I'm still hungover from the world series victory last year.
It's been 5 years since you experienced what a WS hangover is like, I understand how you could forget.

Reaction Score
I am not a baseball fan, so I am not really familiar with what he has done on the field ( I'm sure it's good). But I have heard he's bagged quite a few hot ladies. So he is someone to idolize in my book. Wilt Chamberlain would be proud.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I am not a baseball fan, so I am not really familiar with what he has done on the field ( I'm sure it's good). But I have heard he's bagged quite a few hot ladies. So he is someone to idolize in my book. Wilt Chamberlain would be proud.

That's an understatement...

Reaction Score
John, we're getting close to restraining order territory here, guy.

Baseball Reference calculates that the player whose career most closely resembles Jeter's is Craig Biggio of the Houston Astros.

Biggio retired seven years ago, with 3,060 hits and 1,844 runs scored. Jeter currently has 3,461 and 1,922, respectively, but Biggio had more doubles, home runs, and stolen bases. This year, in his second year on the Hall of Fame ballot, Biggio got 74.8 percent of the vote, missing induction by two votes. He will almost certainly make it next time around; no one really objects to the notion that a player like Craig Biggio belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Lets see. How Graig Biggio did in MVP voting during his career. He came in 4th, 5th, 10th, 12th and 16th.

Derek Jeter MVP voting during their career. He came in 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 10th, 10th, 10th, 11th, 13th, 21st, 24th.

Yup, exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01