OT: It's Official, the NHL always hated Hartford | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: It's Official, the NHL always hated Hartford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Called NHL offices and they failed to produce Gary Bettman after repeated attempts.

Coincidence?

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
My college team would have some Whalers, who were recovering from injuries, practice with us at Glastonbury, primarily skating drills and some shooting practice. I remember Mike Rogers joining maybe twice. He was only a few years older than us and not that big. However he could skate circles around us and man what a fast hard shot he had. His primary skill was his speed, it made you feel like you had 7 pound weights on each skate the way he would fly by you. He definately was a star back then. If my memory serves correct he had some injuries with the Rangers which dented his career potential. When your 5-8ish and small those big hits take there toll.

Knees were toast! The Rangers originally didn't want him because of it.

Reaction Score
Inside source time!!!

Got this text:

I just got off the phone with Xxxxx xxxxx former whalers employee. He called to go over the NHL is in HARTFORD today and tmrw to close a deal to bring one of 3 teams. To HARTFORD the Hurricanes or the coyotes or the panthers.

His accuracy is about as solid as his grammar.... He's sort of an NHLDoodofHFD.

Whaler.... Seriously, I have no beef with you, but if you are with us... so help me God.......

Reaction Score
Called NHL offices and they failed to produce Gary Bettman after repeated attempts.

Coincidence?

:rolleyes:

That guy needs to be punched in the face! He HATED having Hartford in between Boston and NY.... Felt it took away from the major fan bases. What dill weed dintnt realize is that the old Adams Division rivalries that were in place have not been replicated and have taken away from the game tremendously given the impact hockey has in the northeast. It was Bettmans idea to go to The sunbelt, Pheonix etc.... Great for the average fan cuz you can get a tix for $10, but a colossal blunder for the league. He's a tool!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler - Update today@?:D

These are hot of presses and hilariously real texts.

(1/2) My source says that he confirmed what he had heard from xxxxxxx with a high up in the state. A deal is in the works but he said it could be either carolina or florida.

(2/2) The buyer is willing to buy the team pay the relocation fee and split the 250 to 300 mill with the state on the xl center revamp.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wondering who is the 'buyer'?

All fingers point to the group that bought up constitution plaza

Reaction Score
Heard some things his past weekend. John Henry. That's the answer I heard. His next project.

Reaction Score
So... I txt'd my senior contact @ESPN when I heard about Whalers inside scoop. This guy knows everything and has NEVER not gotten back to me on anything sports related ranging from the inside scoop of the Tiger Woods scandals right up to deflategate. Interestingly enough he did not return my txt...... Hmmmm..... What does that mean exactly??? Maybe he's on vacation, or...... Well,,it's fun to consider nonetheless.

Reaction Score
Just text the people that said saying I read it some rumblings on message board got two responses YUP and YUP Take it for what's it worth. But both work in pro sports in Boston

Reaction Score
With Quebec, Vegas, Hamilton, Ontario (if Toronto would allow it) and other markets clamoring for a team, I just have a hard time believing that our relatively small market would get a team back. Maybe if ESPN still had hockey, they'd exert some political pressure to bring the NHL back into their backyard, but even that isn't the case.

I'm not a Whalers fan, but I'd love to see the NHL back. If only to watch my favorite team roll through here a few times a year. Just don't think it will ever happen.

Reaction Score
With Quebec, Vegas, Hamilton, Ontario (if Toronto would allow it) and other markets clamoring for a team, I just have a hard time believing that our relatively small market would get a team back. Maybe if ESPN still had hockey, they'd exert some political pressure to bring the NHL back into their backyard, but even that isn't the case.

I'm not a Whalers fan, but I'd love to see the NHL back. If only to watch my favorite team roll through here a few times a year. Just don't think it will ever happen.
Vegas and Quebec are smaller markets than the Hartford metro

Reaction Score
Vegas and Quebec are smaller markets than the Hartford metro

Good point, although the NHL is seemingly desperate to get into Vegas, and Quebec is a hockey hotbed. Sandwiched between New York and Boston, Hartford isn't doing a whole lot for the NHL's big picture.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The dream is alive (lol) NHL Hartford Man updated me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 93
Reaction Score
Hartford should have made a real play for the Islanders. They won't draw jack in Brooklyn. And is there a really a need for the Rangers, Islanders and Devils in that area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom