OT: It's Official, the NHL always hated Hartford | The Boneyard

OT: It's Official, the NHL always hated Hartford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They just put that rat-tailed bastard Peter Karmanos in the Hall of Fame. In the same class as Chris Pronger, no less. Can't make this up.

Man I feel old! Pronger is going into the Hall..... I remember when he joined the Whale when he was 18! I was bartending at this Resteraunt in West Hartford his rookie year and half the team came in for dinner. Of course he got the bill seeing as he was making 3 mil a year I believe it was. He went up to a manager with his Amex to pay and she laughed at him because he looked like he was 14 and the bill was several thousand. I walked up to her and told her who he was and she got pretty pale and did a lot of apologizing.... It was hysterical!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Is Dana Murzyn in the Hall?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Pronger and Lidstrom are worthy. I have no idea how Karmanos got in.

Reaction Score
Quennville very well might get in as a coach someday. 3 Cups with the Hawks in their modern day dynasty run. Very impressive.

There is no doubt Joel will get in. Are there any three-time Cup winning coaches who aren't in the hall?

Reaction Score
Zarley Zalapski?

I swear to god I will fight you!! That POS along with John Cullen were the nail in the coffin for hockey in Hartford! Zalapski was worthless, compared to who was involved in that trade. To think Hall of Famer Ron Francis was part of the trade for those turds is depressing.
True story.... I was dug in with the First Marine Division about 10 miles from the Kuwait/Iraq border waiting for the ground war to start for Desert Storm, My mother would religiously mail me a box a week with all the Hartford Courant Sports Sections so I could keep tabs on the Whale since my family was season tix holders. I'll never forget the day I got the sports section where Ron Francis, Ulf Samuelson etc.... Were traded for... WTF!!!! I think the Iraqi Army heard me scream, followed by a "WHO THE *K IS Zarley Zalapski!!!!???????" In all seriousness, I tried to like the guy but he was a general ! And no.... He is not in the Hall of Fame. Maybe the Hall of Vag's!!

Reaction Score
Pronger and Lidstrom are worthy. I have no idea how Karmanos got in.
As much as it pains me to write this...Karmanos is getting in because of his contribution to USA hockey by starting his Compuware youth program. He had a lot to do with the development of the USA Hockey development program. That being said..I hope he goes bankrupt and is forced to sell the Hurricanes!

Reaction Score
Nick Fotiu should be in.
He won tons of "favorite Whaler" awards.

Fotiu was awesome! The year he went to the Rangers he came back to play the Whale. Fotiu would always be the first player on the ice whether it was for warmups or game time. He would always come running out of the runway with a puck in his hand and drop the puck and let a shot go at the net all the way down the other end of the ice. I was sitting in my seat in Section 102 Row D Seat 9 as usual during warmups and This game he did the same. When he hit the slot he let a big wrister go! I watched the puck go higher... And higher.... And higher.... Until it cleared the glass behind the Whalers goal, which was clearly his intention. The problem was, there was a guy who was reading the paper about 2 rows above the glass and he was unaware the Rangers had taken the ice ( if the Whalers came out he would of known on account of Brass Bonanza). Anyway, Fotiu's shot rips through this guys paper and hits him square in the forehead knocking him out cold!!! The poor guy sat hunched over in his seat for about 15 mins before security noticed him. As a kid, I was terrified as I was sure this guy was dead! Since I can personally attest to the fact he was at the next game, I think this story is still to this day hysterical and my best Fotiu story!! Go Whale!

Reaction Score
Maybe Howard Baldwin will be inducted when he brings the Whalers back!!!!

That's never gonna happen but we can dream! However, on account of Howard's dream and his vision of Whaler Fest, I was able to play golf with my childhood Whaler hero, Mike Rogers at the golf tournament in Farmington that weekend. Rogers is a cool guy, in fact we got along so well we played the TPC two days later. I'll tell you, he was a small dude which I was not expecting. I remember saying to myself, "how the hell did this guy have multiple 100pt seasons in the NHL!!?" Clearly that accomplishment is a testimony to his skill level. I was pi$$ed when he went to the Rangers!

Reaction Score
My college team would have some Whalers, who were recovering from injuries, practice with us at Glastonbury, primarily skating drills and some shooting practice. I remember Mike Rogers joining maybe twice. He was only a few years older than us and not that big. However he could skate circles around us and man what a fast hard shot he had. His primary skill was his speed, it made you feel like you had 7 pound weights on each skate the way he would fly by you. He definately was a star back then. If my memory serves correct he had some injuries with the Rangers which dented his career potential. When your 5-8ish and small those big hits take there toll.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Inside source time!!!

Got this text:

I just got off the phone with Xxxxx xxxxx former whalers employee. He called to go over the NHL is in HARTFORD today and tmrw to close a deal to bring one of 3 teams. To HARTFORD the Hurricanes or the coyotes or the panthers.

His accuracy is about as solid as his grammar.... He's sort of an NHLDoodofHFD.

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Inside source time!!!

Got this text:

I just got off the phone with Xxxxx xxxxx former whalers employee. He called to go over the NHL is in HARTFORD today and tmrw to close a deal to bring one of 3 teams. To HARTFORD the Hurricanes or the coyotes or the panthers.

His accuracy is about as solid as his grammar.... He's sort of an NHLDoodofHFD.
Let this be true...
Let this be true...
Let this be true...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Let this be true...
Let this be true...
Let this be true...

Well he did have a conversation with the person I deleted and the person was an employee who still has connections to the league. But trust me don't get your hopes up.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Well he did have a conversation with the person I deleted and the person was an employee who still has connections to the league. But trust me don't get your hopes up.
Good advice! I have no expectation of it happening however my brain is torn because I have issues...

- I have no belief in this because it has been fairly quiet recently...another reason to believe it...

Reaction Score

Well your friend's text didn't begin with "Quite frankly" so. . . . . . . . . .I guess there's that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have an update!

My source's source says that the Coyotes staying in Phoenix is a done deal!

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Fotiu was awesome! The year he went to the Rangers he came back to play the Whale. Fotiu would always be the first player on the ice whether it was for warmups or game time. He would always come running out of the runway with a puck in his hand and drop the puck and let a shot go at the net all the way down the other end of the ice. I was sitting in my seat in Section 102 Row D Seat 9 as usual during warmups and This game he did the same. When he hit the slot he let a big wrister go! I watched the puck go higher... And higher.... And higher.... Until it cleared the glass behind the Whalers goal, which was clearly his intention. The problem was, there was a guy who was reading the paper about 2 rows above the glass and he was unaware the Rangers had taken the ice ( if the Whalers came out he would of known on account of Brass Bonanza). Anyway, Fotiu's shot rips through this guys paper and hits him square in the forehead knocking him out cold!!! The poor guy sat hunched over in his seat for about 15 mins before security noticed him. As a kid, I was terrified as I was sure this guy was dead! Since I can personally attest to the fact he was at the next game, I think this story is still to this day hysterical and my best Fotiu story!! Go Whale!

I just bursted out laughing at this! Reminds me of the organ player getting drilled in the head in Slapshot. HAHAHA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom