OT - Gottlieb being Gottlieb | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - Gottlieb being Gottlieb

Reaction Score
Gottlieb had the chance to check with his sources after the tweets but before the lawsuit was filed. He did nothing. That statement is garbage written by lawyers to cover his az
Where is your support for your implicit conclusion in the first sentence that he didn't? He very well may have by then known his story wasn't true for one of a number of reasons, and been told by his lawyer not to say anything except as part of a negotiated settlement.

Reaction Score
Businesslawyer's actually making a pretty uncontroversial point.
In a rational world, that's correct. But the reaction is far more important than my initial point. People don't like Gottlieb, so it's o.k. to attack him even where your rational for doing so doesn't support the attack. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
A lot of people who are taking umbrage with what you've said are making your point.
Yup. It's actually very sad. America is so dug in on if I don't like someone everything bad said about him must be true that many good people can't even see their own behavior.

Reaction Score
Seriously, what is wrong with some of you? You really can't understand the difference between defending someone and pointing out that the accuser drew a conclusion from an article that didn't support it? The only reason it's difficult is it gets back to the only reason I posted in the first place -- America seems to have decided that if you don't like someone any attack on him is valid, and if you do like someone no attack on him is valid. Truth then stops being important. Keep it up my friends, but don't be surprised when it takes our country over a cliff one day.
No I very clearly have said me characterizing what you said as defending him was incorrect and I was wrong. All I'm saying is I wasn't viewing this as an isolated incident with Gottlieb, but now I see where you were coming from with your original point.

But you're so dug in on your hatred of me that you're blinded. Which is funny because it's exactly what you're saying about me and Doug Gottlieb, which is true

Reaction Score
Yes, but those of us bashing Gottlieb are not making the determination off of this one article.
Revisionist history. Read the first post. Skiblets called him a slimeball, and offered as evidence an article that did not prove that he did anything more than get a story wrong. You're acting as if Skiblets just called him a slimeball and I objected and said he wasn't (and, as I keep saying, I have not yet once said Gottlieb is not a slimeball).

I hate to break this to you, but someone who is a slimeball can still be accused of something unfairly.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

"Upon further vetting of my sources, a review of the lawsuit filed against me in this matter and a direct conversation with Casey himself, I have learned that the conduct I alleged did not occur and that there is no credible basis for stating that it did," Gottlieb wrote. "My ultimate investigation into this matter confirms that Casey Close did, in fact, communicate all offers to Freddie Freeman and the sources I relied on were incorrect, in no uncertain terms."
This quote is unbelievable to read.

Reaction Score
No I very clearly have said me characterizing what you said as defending him was incorrect and I was wrong. All I'm saying is I wasn't viewing this as an isolated incident with Gottlieb, but now I see where you were coming from with your original point.

But you're so dug in on your hatred of me that you're blinded. Which is funny because it's exactly what you're saying about me and Doug Gottlieb, which is true
My hatred of you? You have to be kidding. I don't even know who you are.

Back to the whole point I was making from the beginning -- people can disagree with people without hating them. And people can disagree with people and -- get this -- still like them.

Reaction Score
My hatred of you? You have to be kidding. I don't even know who you are.

Back to the whole point I was making from the beginning -- people can disagree with people without hating them. And people can disagree with people and -- get this -- still like them.
Of course, I disagree with people all the time on here. Maybe I'm reading into it and there's no hatred, but I can't think of a single time you've ever responded to me and not thrown in multiple personal attacks against me

Reaction Score
Businesslawyer's actually making a pretty uncontroversial point.
Would something as allegedly innocuous as a misreporting based on a source lead to a lawsuit? I don’t think we see a lot of those flying around when someone’s sources are innocently inaccurate

At best, the loser was grossly irresponsible with handling whatever information he claims he received

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Revisionist history. Read the first post. Skiblets called him a slimeball, and offered as evidence an article that did not prove that he did anything more than get a story wrong. You're acting as if Skiblets just called him a slimeball and I objected and said he wasn't (and, as I keep saying, I have not yet once said Gottlieb is not a slimeball).

I hate to break this to you, but someone who is a slimeball can still be accused of something unfairly.

You're trying to decipher skiblets' intentions from his post which consisted of one word. He said 'scumbag' and posted the link; he didn't say "Doug Gottlieb posted an incorrect claim about a sports agent, and this article shows why he is a scumbag." Maybe he meant "Gottlieb is a scumbag because of the many shady things he has done; here's an article showing another shady thing he did." That's how I interpreted it. This board has had plenty of talk about the kind of guy he is in the past. That context has to count, doesn't it?

Reaction Score
You're trying to decipher skiblets' intentions from his post which consisted of one word. He said 'scumbag' and posted the link; he didn't say "Doug Gottlieb posted an incorrect claim about a sports agent, and this article shows why he is a scumbag." Maybe he meant "Gottlieb is a scumbag because of the many shady things he has done; here's an article showing another shady thing he did." That's how I interpreted it. This board has had plenty of talk about the kind of guy he is in the past. That context has to count, doesn't it?

I’ve said enough. You are welcome to have the last word on this. Have a good night.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
LOL. Proof that it as compromise language written by the lawyers from the two sides.

Oh, absolutely.

Gottlieb’s contribution there was to cut and paste it into a Tweet while his attorneys looked over his shoulder.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
It's not like this is the first time the guy ever made a mistake and is being labeled a slimeball for it.

His track record of narcism runs as deep as his days at OSU stealing peoples credit card info. So even if it was an "honest" mistake where he was unknowingly given and then published false information, the fact that he has shown he will do / say what ever serves him most, makes it hard to believe he didn't completely make it up or neglected to do proper journalistic due diligence on the info.

Whether he knew or not, the guy certainly is a slimeball and this doesn't help that reputation regardless of the facts.
He stole the card at ND..and was shown the door, which is what led to his transfer to OSU.

Reaction Score
This one went Full Yard almost immediately. We are in mid-season form already....
I'm expecting a pretty good year for the team, so feel extra responsibility to stay focused on pointless arguments, excessive definitive proclamations, and deliberately avoiding any subject matter directly tied to the original post. Mental toughness is incredibly important.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Great piece, appreciated Gottlieb's candor and sense of humility. Really love to celebrate comeback stories, unsure whether I can celebrate Gottlieb. Given his history of reckless journalistic half-baked takes its generally difficult to empathize with him. Gottlieb though is not the only broadcast analyst shilling questionable takes, on and off the air, he's simply a member of a very distinct club.

Reaction Score
So if I break that down into its Carrolian logical components, you have concluded that because he didn't make the statement you would have liked to see if he didn't do anything wrong, therefore he did something wrong. Logic doesn't work that way.
Poor effort. Where did I say he did something wrong. I'll make it easy for you and copy my post:

"Not to be a lawyer on this, didn't see where he said "unknowingly". That is lot different than saying "the sources I relied on were incorrect, in no uncertain terms." after the fact in response to the law suit.

Also, he never said that he didn't know at the time of the tweet that it was false or didn't recklessly disregard information (or easily accessed information like calling up to confirm with the people involved) that would show it was false."

I said what I said, the "therefore he did something wrong" logic is on you.

Reaction Score
A good number of years ago, I played in a men's league in CT where he played for another team. I knew one of his teammates pretty well. His teammates all hated him. Total to play against. He was the best player in the league by a wide margin and his team played better when he wasn't there. He was one of the youngest guys and the most accomplished player by miles. Lots of guys 20 years older than him playing. One time he tweeted about how he dropped 40 in a men's league.
You can tell a lot about a person by the way they play basketball.

Reaction Score
A good number of years ago, I played in a men's league in CT where he played for another team. I knew one of his teammates pretty well. His teammates all hated him. Total to play against. He was the best player in the league by a wide margin and his team played better when he wasn't there. He was one of the youngest guys and the most accomplished player by miles. Lots of guys 20 years older than him playing. One time he tweeted about how he dropped 40 in a men's league.
You can tell a lot about a person by the way they play basketball.
This is now kinda hard for me to believe after seeing his admitted college percentages, namely 46% from the line lol I think that was the one truly humbled part of his article.

Reaction Score
This is now kinda hard for me to believe after seeing his admitted college percentages, namely 46% from the line lol I think that was the one truly humbled part of his article.
It's hard to believe he'd be the best player in a men's league in Canton CT? I think there was one other former D1 player (low level) who was about 40 years old and maybe 2-3 former D3 players, everyone else topped out in HS in places like Avon, Simsbury and Burlington.

Reaction Score
It's hard to believe he'd be the best player in a men's league in Canton CT? I think there was one other former D1 player (low level) who was about 40 years old and maybe 2-3 former D3 players, everyone else topped out in HS in places like Avon, Simsbury and Burlington.
46% from the line is 46% from the line lol but hey if your league was that horrific what can I say

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom