OT - Gottlieb being Gottlieb | The Boneyard

OT - Gottlieb being Gottlieb

Reaction Score
Are we allowed to be fair? I know nothing about this story other than what Skiblets linked, but is a broadcaster/reporter a slimeball because they get a story wrong? Wouldn't we need to know whether he believed that what he said was true, and whether it was reasonable to have such a belief based on where he got the story from, to speak badly of him? Because if the standard for reporters was "be right 100% of the time," no one would ever break a story.

Reaction Score
Are we allowed to be fair? I know nothing about this story other than what Skiblets linked, but is a broadcaster/reporter a slimeball because they get a story wrong? Wouldn't we need to know whether he believed that what he said was true, and whether it was reasonable to have such a belief based on where he got the story from, to speak badly of him? Because if the standard for reporters was "be right 100% of the time," no one would ever break a story.
Not when it comes to Gottlieb

Reaction Score
Not when it comes to Gottlieb
America in 2022 in a nutshell. If we don't like someone, everything they do is terrible and if we do like someone, everything they do is o.k.

Not picking on you gb, and you might even be kidding, but that's my point exactly. Gottlieb may be a slimeball, and he may have been a slimeball in this instance, but that conclusion is set forth where all the linked story tells you is that he got a story wrong and his apology was good enough for the plaintiff.

Reaction Score
A slime ball vs A reporter
The former hears a salacious story and broadcasts it usually for shock value. A real reporter ( mostly extinct ) coborates the story from a reliable source before printing or commenting on it.
Reprinting or commenting on a story printed or broadcast uncoborated is just a bad.
That’s why we essentially no longer have a real press . It requires integrity and values .

Reaction Score
When Gottlieb himself says

“conduct I alleged did not occur and that there is no credible basis for stating that it did,”

He is admitting he knowingly reported false info. Not sure how there is more than one way to read that.

Gottlieb is lucky Close is a better guy than he is and was magnanimous enough to accept a retraction and apology. Could have probably gotten a decent payout if he played it out.

Reaction Score

“conduct I alleged did not occur and that there is no credible basis for stating that it did,”

He is admitting he knowingly reported false info. Not sure how there is more than one way to read that.

Gottlieb is lucky Close is a better guy than he is and was magnanimous enough to accept a retraction and apology. Could have probably gotten a decent payout if he played it out.
I have no dog in this fight, but Gottlieb categorically stated that he unknowingly reported false info.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I'm not a Gottlieb fan but the full quote supports @businesslawyer's contention.

"Upon further vetting of my sources, a review of the lawsuit filed against me in this matter and a direct conversation with Casey himself, I have learned that the conduct I alleged did not occur and that there is no credible basis for stating that it did," Gottlieb wrote. "My ultimate investigation into this matter confirms that Casey Close did, in fact, communicate all offers to Freddie Freeman and the sources I relied on were incorrect, in no uncertain terms."

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I have no dog in this fight, but Gottlieb categorically stated that the unknowingly reported false info.
I will add we may not believe in the sincerity or accuracy of Gottlieb's statement, he may not even have sources for all we know, but our opinions are different than trying to distort statements to support our opinions when those statements can easily be disproven.

Reaction Score
I will add we may not believe in the sincerity or accuracy of Gottlieb's statement, he may not even have sources for all we know, but our opinions are different than trying to distort statements to support our opinions when those statements can easily be disproven.
Indeed. I was merely commenting on the meaning of the words on the page.

Reaction Score

Absolutely disagree that your interpretation is the only way to read it. Stating "that there is no credible basis" is very different than stating "at the time I reported it there was no credible basis." It is an admission that now, at the present time, he knows there would be no basis for reporting the story. I don't see how you can conclude from that that he knew at the time there was no credible basis. The words he used now were vetted by lawyers as part of the settlement. They were selected carefully.

Reaction Score
This. As I keep saying, Gottlieb may be a slimeball and he may have made it up. But nothing in the linked article requires that conclusion.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Gottlieb has shown time and time again that he doesn't have much integrity. I get that you aren't familiar with the guy or this story, but I would recommend you do some reading before attacking other users for calling the guy out for being a piece of garbage.

Reaction Score
Gottlieb has shown time and time again that he doesn't have much integrity. I get that you aren't familiar with the guy or this story, but I would recommend you do some reading before attacking other users for calling the guy out for being a piece of garbage.
I have said repeatedly that he may or may not be a slimeball. My only point is that he was called a slimeball based on a story that did not support that conclusion. You have made my point exactly, though, so thank you very much. You don't like the guy, so it's o.k. to assume that anything negative said about him is true. Well done.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I have said repeatedly that he may or may not be a slimeball. My only point is that he was called a slimeball based on a story that did not support that conclusion. You have made my point exactly, though, so thank you very much. You don't like the guy, so it's o.k. to assume that anything negative said about him is true. Well done.

He either made up what he tweeted or passed along what he was told without doing any kind of digging to see if it's true. At the absolute best he showed laziness and slopiness, but like @huskyjawz said he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt due to his long past of doing incredibly shady things, like when he stole his roommate's credit card back in college.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
It's not like this is the first time the guy ever made a mistake and is being labeled a slimeball for it.

His track record of narcism runs as deep as his days at OSU stealing peoples credit card info. So even if it was an "honest" mistake where he was unknowingly given and then published false information, the fact that he has shown he will do / say what ever serves him most, makes it hard to believe he didn't completely make it up or neglected to do proper journalistic due diligence on the info.

Whether he knew or not, the guy certainly is a slimeball and this doesn't help that reputation regardless of the facts.

Reaction Score
I have no dog in this fight, but Gottlieb categorically stated that he unknowingly reported false info.
Not to be a lawyer on this, didn't see where he said "unknowingly". That is lot different than saying "the sources I relied on were incorrect, in no uncertain terms." after the fact in response to the law suit.

Also, he never said that he didn't know at the time of the tweet that it was false or didn't recklessly disregard information (or easily accessed information like calling up to confirm with the people involved) that would show it was false.

Reaction Score
He’s slime.

Has a history of slime and used his bully Twitter pulpit to post not one but two defamatory tweets against a baseball agent with a pretty respectable track record.

He was asked to delete the tweets. He didn’t.

Agent and his agency file a lawsuit and all of a sudden Doug goes ahem, back to his ‘sources’ and finds the information to be false.

He could have done this research after the agent protested and before the lawsuit was filed. He did nothing. Only until he saw a messy lawsuit and big $$ losses coming did he check with his ‘sources’ and back down. He’s slime

It should be noted the Freeman still has the same agent.

Reaction Score
Gottlieb was, is, and always will be a piece of human garbage. I feel dumber just for having to take the time to type out his name. Can't believe anyone would show up here to defend him, this should have been the easiest thread to get unanimous agreement on

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He’s slime.

Has a history of slime and used his bully Twitter pulpit to post not one but two defamatory tweets against a baseball agent with a pretty respectable track record.

He was asked to delete the tweets. He didn’t.

Agent and his agency file a lawsuit and all of a sudden Doug goes ahem, back to his ‘sources’ and finds the information to be false.

He could have done this research after the agent protested and before the lawsuit was filed. He did nothing. Only until he saw a messy lawsuit and big $$ losses coming did he check with his ‘sources’ and back down. He’s slime

It should be noted the Freeman still has the same agent.

I thought he fired Close?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom