OT: Discontinued brands | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Discontinued brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Oh the memories. My best friend had a sweet 1964 in high school. (1985)

My father had a deep blue one, great little car....

1961_Ford_Falcon_advertisement.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Converse canvas All-Stars... the white ones (not all the colorful ones they make today)
I have white Cons and and red and black pair labeled Icebear.

Reaction Score
This clearly doesn't fit the original intent of the thread, more of a future discontinued item, but one of the reporters on the NBC morning show this am was talking about google's venture into driverless cars, an electric vehicle, mentioned that the car didn't have a steering wheel, brake pedal, or gas pedal. An electric car with a gas pedal? Mat Lauer has since corrected the gaff calling it an accelerator.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Never said Dairy Queen wasn't around today, as a matter of fact they are bigger now than they were when they competed with Carvel. It's Carvel that has really hit the skids, maybe after Tom Carvel died? The only one I know of now is the the one on RT 7 in near the Danbury/Ridgefield line, years ago there was one in every town. There were two in Fairfield years ago now there are none, the one near the traffic circle is a donut shop now, I think.
Oh, well when you put "Carvel or Dairy Queen?" in a thread about discontinued brands.....I just sorta thought that's what you were implying.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My father had a deep blue one, great little car....
My dad had a black Corvair (and no we didn't die, and Nadar was less than truthful). Similar to this one.

1965-chevy-corvair.jpg

Reaction Score
My dad had a black Corvair (and no we didn't die, and Nadar was less than truthful). Similar to this one.

1965-chevy-corvair.jpg
The Corvair had the engine in the back, didn't it? Was air cooled also, I think? Also had a convertible version too, IIRC.

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember the Burma Shave signs along the road? We used to see them along the roads in rural upstate New York.

Also a W.T. Grant store? Rockland County NY but I think they were more widespread than that.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I miss Howard Johnson's pistachio ice cream, clam strips and grilled hot dogs. The last time I ate at one was in Waterbury after I had been in Glastonbury on business for a week in 2005. At that time they weren't still serving the old Hojo's ice cream, though. Sigh.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Remember when the word "sugar" was on a cereal box?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Does anyone remember the Burma Shave signs along the road? We used to see them along the roads in rural upstate New York.

Also a W.T. Grant store? Rockland County NY but I think they were more widespread than that.

Yes, the signs helped your drive from Jersey to Fl.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If you don't know whose signs these are
You can't have driven very far.

Here lies the body of Tomothy Shay
Who died defending his right of way.
His right was clear, his will was strong,
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

Don't stick your elbow out so far;
It might go home in another car.

Burma Shave

Incidentally, Converse Chuck Taylor All-Stars are still going strong. Now who was Chuck Taylor?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
It's been a long time since I lived in Hartford. Does Cott Soda still exist?

JWILLDADDY101

Sailor2013
Reaction Score
Mayron's Bakery. I can remember going there on Blue Hills Avenue as a kid in the early 60's. The marble and chocolate squares were so good. But the best were the honey dipped donuts. I think there was another branch on Albany Ave. Those were the best donuts in the whole world!

JWILLDADDY101

Sailor2013
Reaction Score
And also forgot...Newberry's and Jupiters downtown...which one had the awesome chilli dogs.....? EJ Korvettes....Brown Thompson's. The Palace, The Polaroid, The Allyn and The Strand...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
And also forgot...Newberry's and Jupiters downtown...which one had the awesome chilli dogs.....? EJ Korvettes....Brown Thompson's. The Palace, The Polaroid, The Allyn and The Strand...
Sage Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog