OT: Discontinued brands | The Boneyard

OT: Discontinued brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Dad was a Chrysler Corp loyalist (until the Beetle came out), but some models are forever gone.
The company once advertised, "Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto, Chrysler, and the exclusive ________."
(Got that one?)

Anyway, are there items that you and/or family once enjoyed that you had to adjust to their disappearance?

Reaction Score
Dad was a Chrysler Corp loyalist (until the Beetle came out), but some models are forever gone.
The company once advertised, "Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto, Chrysler, and the exclusive ________."
(Got that one?)

Anyway, are there items that you and/or family once enjoyed that you had to adjust to their disappearance?
Imperial?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
84 Cutlass Supreme... car I learned to how to drive in

Reaction Score
How about all the small privately owned businesses,destroyed by the Big Boys....Sad day in this country...Where I live hardly any Mom and Pop stores or eating places still in business.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There was an old joke - "Q: Why don't Dodge cars need horns?, A: Because every one comes with a sign on the front saying 'Dodge Brothers.'"
Not a brand but a product - Kelloggs used to have a breakfast cereal called Krumbles that was my dad's favorite breakfast cereal - whole wheat narrow flat strips with lots of bran and zero added sugar but disappeared before 'bran' and 'whole grain' became health conscious parts of diets.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
What's a bigger shame/loss is all the small companies that used to manufacture parts/components for the major companies. Never mind the loss of the Textile Mills that used to make all the clothing sold in the US. That has led to the decline of the Middle Class and led to the vast majority of the jobs now available are now in the Retail Industry where wages are usually lower.

Reaction Score
Do they still make Oxydol and Duz (does everything) any more? Seems like all I
see is Tide.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
My folks were Dodge Dart folks, I think they had 3 of them during the life of that model.

One product I missed when it disappeared was called Icthiol. It was a drawing salve and I suppose if it exists in any version it is prescription. Put it on an infection and the swelling was reduced. Nasty looking black stuff.

As to the Mom and Pop stores, it is the american public that put them out of business by shopping elsewhere (as opposed to the small companies referenced by another poster). What I do miss was the old Five and Dimes (of the era when things were not that price). Woolworth's and McCrory's come to mind.

Also, the larger stores that are gone. Two Guys, Bamberger's, Montgomery Ward for example.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I clearly remember some of the commercials

"Use Ajax, the foaming cleanser
floats the dirt, right down the drain"…with a Bass, be-bob inserted between the lines

or
My beer is Rheingold the dry beer,
think of Rhinegold whenever you but beer
Its not bitter, not sweet, extra-dry flavored treat
Won't you buy extra-dry Rhinegold beer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duck51RANXHg0

Who knew from the "Ring" when I was 8-years old

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Retailing has been consolidated to Macy's.

I think all of these are gone:

Gimbel's

Lit Brothers (Philly)

John Wanamaker (Philly)

Strawbridge and Clothier (Philly)

Rich's (Atlanta)

Jordan Marsh (Boston)

Filene's (Boston)

Hecht's (DC)

Woodward and Lothrop (DC)

May Company (St. Louis)

Marshall Field (Chicago)

Broadway (Calif?)

Abraham and Strauss

Among discounters, Two Guys, Alexander's, Korvettes, Clover.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Main Street just does not exist any more. Gone with the wind. Actually, sucked into a black hole called BigBox.

Reaction Score
Discounters? how about Zayre and Bradlees?
Probably a regional brand, but I still remember the ads for Barcolene Bleach Tabs, which now are used in swimming pools, I guess.
As a kid, I watched and loved the Narragansett Beer ads on the Red Sox games. They were by a pair of nobodies named Mike Nichols and Elaine May. Also the annoying 'Mabel, Black Label," ads for Carling Beer, brewed "on the shores of Lake Cochituate" in Natick, Mass., if anyone cared.

Reaction Score
When E F Hutton talks....... Well, evidently nobody was listening.
Pan Am ( I still call it the Pan Am building regardless what company's name is on it)
You love it at Levitz
Arthur Anderson (Done in by their role with Enron)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Mentioned your lists to my wife and sister-in-law - Caldor and Grants were remembered from among the discounters.

So many department stores, wow. Many I remember quite well. There are a few more than Macy's left, not many. We have Dillards out here in Tucson. And I think Lord and Taylor is still around, and Nordstroms. Still, that's a short list.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
When E F Hutton talks.. Well, evidently nobody was listening.
Pan Am ( I still call it the Pan Am building regardless what company's name is on it)
You love it at Levitz
Arthur Anderson (Done in by their role with Enron)
A relative of the Levitz family owns a furniture chain here in Tucson. Been here 50 years, but we asked and it is related to the "Love it at Levitz". Cheaper stuff, although they had a piece we liked (didn't buy) and a few pieces my sister-in-law bought when she moved out here.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Howard Johnson's... Ponderosa Steak House

Reaction Score
Mentioned your lists to my wife and sister-in-law - Caldor and Grants were remembered from among the discounters.

So many department stores, wow. Many I remember quite well. There are a few more than Macy's left, not many. We have Dillards out here in Tucson. And I think Lord and Taylor is still around, and Nordstroms. Still, that's a short list.
G. Fox gone. JC Penney and Sears still around.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

We've a Dillards in central Fla.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog