OT: Discontinued brands | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Discontinued brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Caldors. Korvette's

Add Saturn to the automotive dinosaurs. Does the Hummer count ?

"Arthur's, Arthur's, Arthur's", open all the time ...........

Schlitz beer

Reaction Score
Dad was a Chrysler Corp loyalist (until the Beetle came out), but some models are forever gone.
The company once advertised, "Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto, Chrysler, and the exclusive ________."
(Got that one?)

Anyway, are there items that you and/or family once enjoyed that you had to adjust to their disappearance?
The Ford Falcon and the AMC Rambler (some versions had a small 2 stroke engine IIRC). For banks, City Trust and Mechanics & Farmers. Hermans Sporting Goods. Boppers (Stamford and New Haven). First National, Grand Union, and A&P. Last but not least Carvel, not many left. Back in the 60's & 70's.....MaryAnne or Genie?......Carvel or Dairy Queen?

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Retailing has been consolidated to Macy's.

I think all of these are gone:

Gimbel's

Lit Brothers (Philly)

John Wanamaker (Philly)

Strawbridge and Clothier (Philly)

Rich's (Atlanta)

Jordan Marsh (Boston)

Filene's (Boston)

Hecht's (DC)

Woodward and Lothrop (DC)

May Company (St. Louis)

Marshall Field (Chicago)

Broadway (Calif?)

Abraham and Strauss

Among discounters, Two Guys, Alexander's, Korvettes, Clover.
There was a Stern's here in Springfield (out of Boston). Still is a Stern's Square, just no Stern's.

G Fox, right out of Hartford. Even had the G Fox building downtown.

Ames, Bradlees and Caldors (around this area CT/MA) are gone now.

Back where I grew up there is still a Bergner's (originated in Peoria). There are also still some Carson, Pirie, Scott and Co. stores in the midwest. (It think both are owned by somebody else, but still operate under their name)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Ford Falcon and the AMC Rambler (some versions had a small 2 stroke engine IIRC). For banks, City Trust and Mechanics & Farmers. Hermans Sporting Goods. Boppers (Stamford and New Haven). First National, Grand Union, and A&P. Last but not least Carvel, not many left. Back in the 60's & 70's.....MaryAnne or Genie?.Carvel or Dairy Queen?
I know Dairy Queen is still around. I've seen them. Also a friend of mine's family still owns one out in IL (maybe 2).

I still see Carvel ice cream cakes. Not sure about stores/restaurants, but they still make the cakes.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
If you spent time in the NYC area in the early 60', you may know this jingle...and long-gone product

The prettiest girl I ever saw was drinking _______ through a straw.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
If you spent time in the NYC area in the early 60', you may know this jingle...and long-gone product

The prettiest girl I ever saw was drinking _______ through a straw.

Hoffmans.
I remember the jingle but dont know if I ever had the soda,

Dr. Browns Black Cherry I always had.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
My father made a living for thirty years delivering new International Harvester Trucks manufactured in Bridgeport at the Metropolitan Body Company.

166782-Millonario42.jpg

Reaction Score
All these "P" cars: Peerless (last 1931), Pierce-Arrow (last 1938), Packard (last 1956), Plymouth (last 2001) and Pontiac (last 2010). Maybe one shouldn't name their car brand with a name starting with "P"?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What about ZaRex? Clearly better than Kool-Aid. My mother hated it so I had to go to a friend's house to get a fix. I checked the web and it looks like someone's trying to bring it back.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Ponderosa Steak House is still around, just limited. So is Dr. Brown's soda, although I don't think the poster that mentioned it was saying it wasn't.

Reaction Score
I know Dairy Queen is still around. I've seen them. Also a friend of mine's family still owns one out in IL (maybe 2).

I still see Carvel ice cream cakes. Not sure about stores/restaurants, but they still make the cakes.
Never said Dairy Queen wasn't around today, as a matter of fact they are bigger now than they were when they competed with Carvel. It's Carvel that has really hit the skids, maybe after Tom Carvel died? The only one I know of now is the the one on RT 7 in near the Danbury/Ridgefield line, years ago there was one in every town. There were two in Fairfield years ago now there are none, the one near the traffic circle is a donut shop now, I think.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Nash, Hudson, Studebaker, Packard, Kaiser, Frazer, Wyllis. SuperSuds. Rexall.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The Ford Falcon and the AMC Rambler (some versions had a small 2 stroke engine IIRC). For banks, City Trust and Mechanics & Farmers. Hermans Sporting Goods. Boppers (Stamford and New Haven). First National, Grand Union, and A&P. Last but not least Carvel, not many left. Back in the 60's & 70's.....MaryAnne or Genie?.Carvel or Dairy Queen?
Herman's... whoa forgot about that one

Reaction Score
Howard Johnson's... Ponderosa Steak House
I worked the counter at a HoJo's for a couple of years while in high school. Sampled all the 28 flavors. Use to wear a "Dr. Ben Casey" smock while working. Restaurant was always busy and the tips were great.

Reaction Score
Howard Johnson's... Ponderosa Steak House

I also stayed in a Howard Johnson hotel in Shanghai as recently as 2005. Beautiful high rise with great restaurant. Didn't have an orange roof.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Converse canvas All-Stars... the white ones (not all the colorful ones they make today)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I also stayed in a Howard Johnson hotel in Shanghai as recently as 2005. Beautiful high rise with great restaurant. Didn't have an orange roof.
I recall eating there (not in Shanghai) as a teen but cant remember where it was in the Greater Hartford area. Im sure it changed names a few times (the building)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Susse Chalet... Im sure some of you guys have stories about this place

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Service Merchandise... Sound Playground, Lechmere's
Service Merchandise was like Arthurs, I think, and I'm not sure what was special about them - except I bought my wife's engagement ring in an Arthurs.

If you don't mind enlightening me, what was a Lechmere's, besides a name on the Boston Transit System.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom