OT: Connecticut golf courses | Page 13 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut golf courses

Reaction Score
Played Fox Hopyard GC yesterday for the first time. Played firm and fast and the greens were nice and quick. Challenging layout, lots of elevation changes on the front, but at $90 to ride during the week it was a bit pricey considering its in the middle of nowhere.

Reaction Score
Played Fox Hopyard GC yesterday for the first time. Played firm and fast and the greens were nice and quick. Challenging layout, lots of elevation changes on the front, but at $90 to ride during the week it was a bit pricey considering its in the middle of nowhere.

It's Ray Allen's favorite CT course . . .

I enjoyed it as well, but it was too much for my father who just couldn't cover the forced carries on the tee shots.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Last two summers the rates dropped much lower once the dog days set it.

Reaction Score
Crestview CC (now essentially public) up in Feeding Hills is a nice track, only $40 to walk on the weekend right now. Very challenging from the back tees and old style greens. Good value course.

Such a shame Gillette is in the dumps. That was a fun course, one that I met Ray Allen at a couple times while TPC was closed for The Travelers. Outside Wintonbury there aren't many, if any, really good public courses (layout + conditioning) around the Greater Hartford area.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Crestview CC (now essentially public) up in Feeding Hills is a nice track, only $40 to walk on the weekend right now. Very challenging from the back tees and old style greens. Good value course.

Such a shame Gillette is in the dumps. That was a fun course, one that I met Ray Allen at a couple times while TPC was closed for The Travelers. Outside Wintonbury there aren't many, if any, really good public courses (layout + conditioning) around the Greater Hartford area.

Manchester Country Club is pretty solid.

Blue Fox Run is pretty decent, as is Blackledge.

Tunxis can be pleasurable if you avoid the staff.

I kind of like Southington CC too.

I love the layout at Keney. I think it's still supposed to reopen in July. If they could get that place in shape it would be a nice addition.

Reaction Score
Played The Ranch yesterday in Southwick it's in absolutely wonderful shape all around. Firm fairways help this old man hit some "bombs" LOL.. Having said that I believe they may be slicing the greens soon so please call first. If they're not and you want to spend 75 bucks on a high end beauty I suggest now is the time.

Reaction Score
They are all pretty good but a good bit below:

Wintonbury
CT National
Fox Hopyard
The Ranch
Great River
Lake of Isles
Fairview Farms

Basically all of your one tier down courses are about the same, fun in their own ways but not overlymemorable:

Manchester
Timberlin
Blackledge
Tallwood
Blue Fox
Topstone
Simsbury Farms
Tower Ridge

I haven't played Quarry Ridge yet...The Ledges up in Mass is a little bit of a hike but a really fun track.

Now I don't want to go to work tomorrow.....

Reaction Score
They are all pretty good but a good bit below:

Wintonbury
CT National
Fox Hopyard
The Ranch
Great River
Lake of Isles
Fairview Farms

Basically all of your one tier down courses are about the same, fun in their own ways but not overlymemorable:

Manchester
Timberlin
Blackledge
Tallwood
Blue Fox
Topstone
Simsbury Farms
Tower Ridge

I haven't played Quarry Ridge yet...The Ledges up in Mass is a little bit of a hike but a really fun track.

Now I don't want to go to work tomorrow.....

Played Ledges 2 weekends ago and they had just done the greens but they rolled them and sanded them they ran pretty decent. By now they probably are really good but the rest of the course is on very good shape tee to green. I agree fun track, stupid par 3 3rd hole at 70-80 yards but only because the Environmental people made them change this course after the initial design. They took many areas out and protected them and made them build this in a smaller amount of space than originally planned making it more "fun' than long. But it has some really good holes and tremendous views. At $47 on weekends its better than most CT Tier 1's for sure.

Topstone, only because of consistence maintenance, almost makes the top tier but those are all really good tracks. If the keep better care of Oxford Greens I would add that to it. Tower Ridge - hate it. Too many blind tee shots for my liking and when you think you hit it where it should be you get to it behind a tree or on a bunch of crap blocked out. Never a fan but they have great deals. Blackledge - Gilead is fun as is Blue Fox Red/White.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Played a modified scramble at Watertown CC yesterday. The green on 5 was temped. Lots of spotty patches on the greens. Not much for spring foliage. Fairways were very so-so. For a private course I was far from impressed. I typically play Southington CC and would have put Southington a notch above Watertown.

Reaction Score
Played a modified scramble at Watertown CC yesterday. The green on 5 was temped. Lots of spotty patches on the greens. Not much for spring foliage. Fairways were very so-so. For a private course I was far from impressed. I typically play Southington CC and would have put Southington a notch above Watertown.

My buddies played Southington for the first time in a while this past weekend and came away impressed with what they've done there. The Aqua Turf owners have done some stuff huh?

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I think the aqua turf people bought Hawks Landing but I could very well be mistaken mau. Ive had my head up my for a few golf seasons now tending to a monster of a toddler known as my son.

The folks up at Southington always do a nice job with the upkeep on that course. The 2nd hole could use some revamping though. The green tends to pond after heavy rains. They let the second cut go a little bit in mid summer too, it becomes very difficult to get out of. Aside from that I think its reasonably priced, challenging yet playable, moves along pretty well and the people are generally very friendly. 6:30am tee times on the weekends are the way to go there. By the time you hit the turn the beer cart is usually getting loaded up and youre having lunch by 11 on the patio.

Reaction Score
Nice track, real nice layout - $120 on weekdays and $140 on weekend? Nope not even close to that good. Agree on it being one of the best but for the price really is one of the worst.

That is a fair complaint. However you are paying for the quality: Clubhouse, food, service and conditions which are better than most Country Clubs in CT.

An Economical way to experience the track are the twilight rates listed below:

2015 IN-SEASON RATES – Begins May 1, 2015
Weekday $120 (Monday – Thursday)
Weekend $140 (Friday – Sunday & Holidays)
Advance Tee Time Booking All tee times booked more than 7 days in advance incur a $25 pre-booking fee.
Pre-Twilight Weekday $85
Twilight Weekday $70
Pre-Twilight Weekend $100
Twilight Weekend $809-Holes $50 Weekday Replay $60 (Monday – Thursday booked same day only)
Weekend Replay $70 (Friday – Sunday & Holidays booked same day only)
Junior (16 yrs and under) $50 18-Holes After 12:00pm daily – Junior play before 12:00pm is at full rate.
Junior (16 yrs and under) $30 9-Holes (Restricted to after 5:00pm daily)

In Season Practice Facility & Range Pass
Wednesday – Sunday & Holidays on Grass Surface $20/bag of balls (50-55 balls)
Monday & Tuesday on Mat Surface $15/bag of balls (50-55 balls) (Grass Surface may be available, conditions permitting – call shop to check)

Reaction Score
Nice track, real nice layout - $120 on weekdays and $140 on weekend? Nope not even close to that good. Agree on it being one of the best but for the price really is one of the worst.
Re: Great River - I've played it a handful of times & the wind was a major factor every time. Makes the price-tag hard to stomach… But it is a beautiful layout.

Reaction Score
Re: Great River - I've played it a handful of times & the wind was a major factor every time. Makes the price-tag hard to stomach… But it is a beautiful layout.

We play once a week at GR and wind not normally an issue. You are paying for quality. First class has a price!

I agree most guys wouldn't want to play there on a regular basis because
of cost but everyone should treat themselves to GR at least once a year!

This Youtube gives an idea of the course but does not do it justice.

Reaction Score
I love Great River. However, I would take CT National and Lake of Isles over it any day of the week.

Reaction Score
I love Great River. However, I would take CT National and Lake of Isles over it any day of the week.

Golf magazine's top 5 for 2014 have Lake of Isles rated #1. I am playing there next week. They also list Oxford Greens ahead of Great River. OG is a very nice track but don't see it better than GR other than value price wise. CT National looks very nice. I will have to check it out. Wintonbury is a great track too. Personally I like the total package at Great River.

This just proves that CT has some excellent courses. Our season is not as long as down south but you can't beat Spring, Summer and Fall golf in CT.

Reaction Score
Try Crumpin-Fox in Bernardston, MA (up 91 near VT). Part of Fox family of courses, and the original. One of my favorites.

Reaction Score
Twin Hills Coventry - 1st time today, Not a bad track at all. Typical public course with some good tees and bad tees but mostly a nice track. And, for the 1st time, I went to Bidwells Tavern after to try the wings - not all that bad!

Reaction Score
Had a nice three days of play.....first on tueday rhode island country club....then wednesday at ledgemont cc....and finished uo thursday at carnegie abby.....plus great weather...

Reaction Score
Anyone play The Farms in Wallingford? I drive by it every day to work, always looks like there's early birds there.

Reaction Score
Anyone play The Farms in Wallingford? I drive by it every day to work, always looks like there's early birds there.

Used to be the home course of the Bee Gees!;)

I used to play it a couple times a year when it was a nice private course. It was a decent layout, tough and fairly long and always in pretty nice shape. Don't know now.

Played Twin Hills in Coventry today for the 1st time - not awful, not great a fun little course with a couple funky holes but I liked it. Bidwell Tavern for a few after also for the 1st time - wings were really good, up there for sure. I didn't have pizza though and there was no vending machine in the bathroom so this trip fell short of perfect.

Reaction Score
Never played CT National, but no contest between LOI and GR. LOI is in my top 3 all-time. Just played Farm Neck on Sunday, and it is right up there with the best I've played. Fantastic day out there!

Reaction Score
Used to be the home course of the Bee Gees!;)

I used to play it a couple times a year when it was a nice private course. It was a decent layout, tough and fairly long and always in pretty nice shape. Don't know now.

Played Twin Hills in Coventry today for the 1st time - not awful, not great a fun little course with a couple funky holes but I liked it. Bidwell Tavern for a few after also for the 1st time - wings were really good, up there for sure. I didn't have pizza though and there was no vending machine in the bathroom so this trip fell short of perfect.
Used to play Twin Hills as a 9-holer in a work league. Got a job and more in the other direction, and never have seen the full 18 that was on the drawing board back then. Maybe that glowing recommendation ("not awful, not great a fun little course with a couple funky holes but I liked it") will get me back!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom