OT: Connecticut golf courses | Page 15 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut golf courses

Reaction Score
Only slightly off-topic... anyone played the Centennial in New York, just off 84 past Danbury? It is a 27-hole layout, run by Troon Golf (same as Lake of Isles (?)). Pictures look nice. Not really a fan of that on-demand pricing structure though.

Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
Nice track, real nice layout - $120 on weekdays and $140 on weekend? Nope not even close to that good. Agree on it being one of the best but for the price really is one of the worst.

I know. I live about a mile away and never play it. Generally play Grassy Hill.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Anyone have any suggestions for Clearwater Beach courses?

Reaction Score
Has anyone played the Windham CC (formerly University Club) this year at all? I have a customer who is retiring and the sales guy and I are taking him somewhere (he lives in Putnam area, sales guy lives in Middletown I will get screwed no worries) in between our locations. Twin Hills has an outing so it's out this Friday and to be honest there aren't many golf courses between Putnam and Hartford/Middletown that are any good, never mind many choices at all. Thought hebron would be closer but its almost 60 miles for him, Ellington is a bit closer at almost 40 miles for him so Rolling Meadows maybe. Norwich isn't too far either. Any other ideas are very welcome if you know that area.

Reaction Score
Only slightly off-topic... anyone played the Centennial in New York, just off 84 past Danbury? It is a 27-hole layout, run by Troon Golf (same as Lake of Isles (?)). Pictures look nice. Not really a fan of that on-demand pricing structure though.

I played it about a year ago... its a very nice course, unfortunately it was windy and slightly rainy when I played it. Would defiinitely recommend though. I think we had a groupon for it, so the price wasnt bad, but a nice layout and in good shape when I played.

Reaction Score

I played Centennial last year. They have 3 seperate 9 hole tracks of which you combine two to get your 18 holes. I honestly don't recall which two i played but the course is nice. They have a grass range which is nice and your greens fee covers use of the range. I remember there being alot of elevation change. Course has good length and the greens are cut to challenge golfers. It's a nice drive to head up there for a day and try something new but aim for a 2pm or later tee time because the rate drops considerably. From $120 to somewhere around $75 I believe. For that price it's well worth it - they keep the place in great shape.

Reaction Score
Gillette Ridge update: Course is now closed "until further notice". Course hasn't been watered or cut in a month and tee boxes and greens are brown and dead. That course ain't comin' back anytime soon.

Reaction Score
Gillette Ridge update: Course is now closed "until further notice". Course hasn't been watered or cut in a month and tee boxes and greens are brown and dead. That course ain't comin' back anytime soon.

Good for them they deserve that!

Reaction Score
Has anyone played the Windham CC (formerly University Club) this year at all? I have a customer who is retiring and the sales guy and I are taking him somewhere (he lives in Putnam area, sales guy lives in Middletown I will get screwed no worries) in between our locations. Twin Hills has an outing so it's out this Friday and to be honest there aren't many golf courses between Putnam and Hartford/Middletown that are any good, never mind many choices at all. Thought hebron would be closer but its almost 60 miles for him, Ellington is a bit closer at almost 40 miles for him so Rolling Meadows maybe. Norwich isn't too far either. Any other ideas are very welcome if you know that area.

Have not played Willimantic CC in several years but have heard the new owner has put a lot of money into the course and it is in much better shape than it has been. They are apparently making some hole changes to add length to the existing course. From what friends have told me it would probably be worth a try on your part based on your geographic needs.

Reaction Score
Have not played Willimantic CC in several years but have heard the new owner has put a lot of money into the course and it is in much better shape than it has been. They are apparently making some hole changes to add length to the existing course. From what friends have told me it would probably be worth a try on your part based on your geographic needs.

They changed the routing as well.

Reaction Score
Norwich is always in great shape. Quirky and a shot makers course. Good bang for your buck.

Reaction Score
Norwich is always in great shape. Quirky and a shot makers course. Good bang for your buck.

I like it a lot but I can't agree on 60 bucks for an out of towner on a Friday - not all a bang for your buck. If you want course in that pricing arena or close look at Fairview Farms and Wintonbury and it somehow falls really short. It's nice though and a fun course - in the 45-50 range of courses.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
So no info on who has the best crapper (or camo bushes) on the 4th, 9th, and 14th holes??
I try not to think about the fact that with the number of men of a certain age (and amount of beer being consumed) playing on these courses... they're basically one big urinal. :D

Reaction Score
Take him to Lake of Isles and expense it. ;^)

Reaction Score
Stonybrook G.C. in Litchfield is a real nice 9 hole track, owned by the same owner of Fairview Farms. Somewhat hilly and beautiful fast greens. The Hotchkiss School Golf Course in Lakeville is a Seth Raynor designed course, one of the preeminent golf course architects in the country, a protege of C.B. MacDonald. A very tough 9 hole layout that surrounds the scenic campus above Lake Wononscopomuc. Another nice 9 hole layout is Greenwoods Country Club in Winsted, semi-private, call before you go about public play.

Reaction Score
Timberlin and "great"? Not bad ric but not close to great. Consistent public course in the Portland, Manchester, Blackledge manner but a little short of great. Shuttle Meadow is very nice though.

Love Shuttle Meadow...my father is a member there so have played many times. Willie Park Jr design, same guy who did Olympia Fields out here in the Chicago area. Great course, they have a new Super within the last few years who has done a great job. Firm and fast but very fair, greens are outstanding. It's rarely crowded...my dad and I walked 18 as a twosome in under three hours last year.

Reaction Score
Heading to Charleston, SC in early July - Kiawah is out of the question and I've played Wild Dunes Links Course (beautiful track) before. Any other suggestions in the area that I should try while down there?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom