OT: Connecticut golf courses | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut golf courses

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Not many straight lines but flat…….dogleg heaven!!! 1, 4, 5, 7, 8 10, 15, 17 all have doglegs and mostly for a cut which I don't have but have been managing lol……..

It was an original Ross but has had some changes from what I understand maybe a Cornish hand in it….being a CT guy originally I never played it until the last 20 years…….crazy thing is the pro EJ Altobello is originally form the same HS asme Maloney in Meriden……..

Despite all the seemingly constant re-working, Tekoa's still got some great holes.

I prefer Red Tail over Pinehills, Ranch, both Foxes, Great River, Blackstone, Oxford, etc.

You're an Agawam guy -- how's Crestview playing these days?

Reaction Score
Despite all the seemingly constant re-working, Tekoa's still got some great holes.

I prefer Red Tail over Pinehills, Ranch, both Foxes, Great River, Blackstone, Oxford, etc.

I'm going to have to get to Red Tail then. That is a pretty good endorsement. Haven't played Blackstone either.

Reaction Score

Great endorsement for Red Tail…….as a Ranch and Blackstone which I rate a head of the Foxes and Great River fairly easily………..thanks I now know I need to get my butt there soon thanks……..

Crestview is Crestview you know……..great track, real long and always in nice shape but to me has always been vastly overrated by the "members" - traditional and solid but not up there with the best we speak of. A real good test though as I am sure you know bring your A tee ball game………

Played Norwich CC this morning and it was in excellent shape, the nicest I have ever seen it over the years……….

Reaction Score
Just got an email from Lake of Isles. Play a round between 7/1 - 7/7 and get a 2nd round free to be used by 9/6. Grabbed a round on 7/3 for $119 so leave work early and start nice long weekend and basically get to play it for $60 a round.

Reaction Score
Under no circumstance should anyone play Gillette Ridge. The place has completely deteriorated. It used to just be the bunkers but now the greens appear to have some disease that I'm sure is not being treated. If you find out that any course you're considering playing is run or owned by MDM Golf Enterprises do not play. They've literally run every course they've touched into oblivion. Such a shame as Gillette used to be a great, albeit difficult, course.

Reaction Score
Under no circumstance should anyone play Gillette Ridge. The place has completely deteriorated. It used to just be the bunkers but now the greens appear to have some disease that I'm sure is not being treated. If you find out that any course you're considering playing is run or owned by MDM Golf Enterprises do not play. They've literally run every course they've touched into oblivion. Such a shame as Gillette used to be a great, albeit difficult, course.

BINGO

Reaction Score
I never understood why Gillette was so highly rated. A golf course built around corporate row provided an awful golfing atmosphere.

That and MDM Golf should never own or run a golf course again.

Reaction Score
I should add that Gilletes 18th hole from the back tees was the toughest finishing par 4 I have played to date.

Reaction Score
Cow Flop Meadows has always been my favorite. Assorted ground clutter makes it very challenging.

Reaction Score
Always in good shape, played there 4 times already this year. Casey is a real good guy as a pro and it's also the one course you can play after a ton of rain and still have a dry course, great base to the course therefore potentially the best drainage in CT……….front is a little back and forth but the back has some great golf holes……..no bumping and running there with all the traps so yo need to have some wedge game to score but I agree, a consistently manicured public course!
Agree, front is a little boring but the back is outstanding track.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Played Lake of Isles North yesterday - rather it played me - but I enjoyed it. I'm not likely to rush back, because for the cost of playing there, I can get 3 good rounds at decent golf courses. The course is in super condition, with many forced carries both off the tee and from fairways. For me and my playing partner, the middle of the 5 tees (silver) was the outer limit in our right minds, most carries being about 175-180. All the groups we saw played the silvers. The next longest tee box would have made some of the forced carry tee shots impossible for us (if you can carry at least 220 or so, then maybe the gold tees would work). and the next shortest tee box would have taken the carries out of play for any but total misfires. You can't walk the course, not allowed, but the distances from many greens and the next tee box would make walking a challenge anyway. The carts are great, with good GPS, auto braking, and equipped with a cooler with 4 water bottles. Interestingly, the little restaurant isn't particularly expensive. The young woman who was working the on course snack truck might have been the greatest part of the day. Gorgeous and flirty enough to make my terrible approach shots palatable.

Reaction Score
Has anyone here ever played Ipswich CC? Have an opportunity and thinking
Of pairing with a Red Tail trip.

Reaction Score
Want to get to Red Tail and have been meaning to, heard great things. Have played many in the area but for whatever reason no Devens yet…….

http://www.kettlebrookgolfclub.com/homepage/start_page.php ……… here's one not too many know and is a fun track. Play there a couple times a year with the boys and enjoy it……..just don;t go after a couple of days of rain, drainage is an issue!
Just played Red Tail Saturday, great course, definitely on par Pine Hills in terms of difficultly and condition, but much more scenic and I like Red Tail's layout better.

Only issue was the pace of play, 5.5 hour round.

Other good options in that area are Shaker Hills and Butterbrook.

Reaction Score
Just played Red Tail Saturday, great course, definitely on par Pine Hills in terms of difficultly and condition, but much more scenic and I like Red Tail's layout better.

Only issue was the pace of play, 5.5 hour round.

Other good options in that area are Shaker Hills and Butterbrook.

Butterbrook huh? Have to check it out…….played Shaker Hills a long time ago and it was very nice……...

Reaction Score
Anyone played Shennecossett? I have a mtg in CT this fall and an outing is planned there. Not a big deal either way just curious if its decent...

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Anyone played Shennecossett? I have a mtg in CT this fall and an outing is planned there. Not a big deal either way just curious if its decent...

A bit rough around the edges at times, but classic D.Ross (but for 3 holes that bring you to mouth of the river at the Sound, so views add to memorability - watch out for subs returning to base up river).

Definite linkys feel with openness, fescue, wind and quirkiness.

Nice variety of long and short holes, and I love the undulating old school greens.

18 is a great...a shortish, partially blind par-5....fun finishing hole.

As long as you dont go there in search of country club conditioning, you should enjoy.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Can anyone tell me about Beaver River in RI? A friend suggested it. I've played at Meadowbrook a few times which is close to Beaver River.

Reaction Score
Can anyone tell me about Beaver River in RI? A friend suggested it. I've played at Meadowbrook a few times which is close to Beaver River.

I like Beaver River played there a few times and they give you deals if you want to play 36………usually in very nice shape although I will say it is a bit quirky in regards to many doglegs and seemingly shaped for a cutter/power slicer……..not able to hit as many drivers as you would like but again, fun course and has some really good holes, not very long at all. Meadowbrook is one of the nicest around in that area now if you get a chance to play there………..

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I like Beaver River played there a few times and they give you deals if you want to play 36………usually in very nice shape although I will say it is a bit quirky in regards to many doglegs and seemingly shaped for a cutter/power slicer……..not able to hit as many drivers as you would like but again, fun course and has some really good holes, not very long at all. Meadowbrook is one of the nicest around in that area now if you get a chance to play there………..

Thanks. Meadowbrook has to have the quirkiest first hole layout in history. Nice course, though.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You've never played Hampden then....

No, I haven't. But any course where you have to go out 400 yards to a tee and play back to a green next to the club house, and the practice green is out next to the first tee, is decidedly quirky. What's Hampden's claim to fame?

Reaction Score
No, I haven't. But any course where you have to go out 400 yards to a tee and play back to a green next to the club house, and the practice green is out next to the first tee, is decidedly quirky. What's Hampden's claim to fame?

I am not sure Hampden is open this year as they are changing the opening hole and a few others………Hampden MA we're talking about right RMoore? Straight down hill, drivable but whacky #1?

Reaction Score
Hampden is still closed. I know one of sons of the family who bought the course and they pretty much completely gutted the course. Routing is the same but that's about it. Bunkers have the rough edges and high lips you see on a course like Bethpage. New clubhouse is enormous. I think at this point the only holes left to finish are 1, 9, and 18. Here's a pic of the clubhouse and 17.

Attachments

• image-1279584666.jpg
    image-1279584666.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 56
  • image-3255896021.jpg
    image-3255896021.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 38

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics