OT: Connecticut golf courses | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut golf courses

Reaction Score
Fairview Farns is a wonderful and fun track…….always in good shape and the greens are excellent……….some real fun holes
I also like almost everything about it, but the prices. When you can play Pinehills and The Ranch for less there is something wrong (shoulder seasons).

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yeah, I like it. Though I have a love/hate relationship with #10.

Yeah, 10 is a true tweener for me lengthwise if I hit the ball correctly. Take the longer club and I can fly the green. Chunk the the shorter club even a little and into the trench. I've also hit some hooks off the tee there, and forget the ball.

#11 I witnessed one of those you can't believe it shots. While sometimes we walk, I was sharing a cart that particular day maybe 5 years ago. As you know, there is a fairly short junk area right off the tee bordered at the far end by a stone wall. My partner sculled the drive , a low hot line drive. The ball hit the wall, shot backward high off a left side tress and caromed into the club rack on our cart. Made him play it where it lay.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The friend I play the most with is a true golf fanatic. Unfortunately, he's battling cancer for the 3rd time in his life, but still hits the links. Shot an 85 at the former Pine Valley yesterday. Intensive chemo next week on a rigorous off and on schedule for the next few months. Great guy and amazingly upbeat. He's lamenting that his 300 yard drives are probably a thing of the past, which is his little joke because he's consistent, but not that long. If he ever hit a 300 yard drive, it had to be off a cart path or a sprinkler head with a 50-60 yard catapault. Anyway, he's played every public course in CT at least once, introducing me to many, several private courses, more than half the publics in RI, close to half in MA, and several in the other New England states and NY. He historically goes on 1 or 2 major golf trips a year playing anywhere from 5-7 rounds either here in the US or overseas, usually including at least one well known course in the target area. He and his wife never had kids - she is still working, he retired for a few years now on a decent pension - so he can afford the golf.

Reaction Score
I also like almost everything about it, but the prices. When you can play Pinehills and The Ranch for less there is something wrong (shoulder seasons).

Alright I need to know how you're getting better prices at Pinehills and The Ranch than Fairview 68? I played the Ranch on Monday and it's in terrific shape although a couple greens need some work………I hear they are coming down on their standard price of 100 to 75 although I did not ask personally…………It is a real good track for 75 once in a while, but even better early spring and fall at 50………….

Fairview is arrogant being at 64-67 I agree……….Oxford you can get on line right now for 45 bucks and most of the year around 50 if you look around…………

I just want to hear about Pinehills which is usually north of a c note…..?

Reaction Score
Alright I need to know how you're getting better prices at Pinehills and The Ranch than Fairview 68? I played the Ranch on Monday and it's in terrific shape although a couple greens need some work………I hear they are coming down on their standard price of 100 to 75 although I did not ask personally…………It is a real good track for 75 once in a while, but even better early spring and fall at 50………….

Fairview is arrogant being at 64-67 I agree……….Oxford you can get on line right now for 45 bucks and most of the year around 50 if you look around…………

I just want to hear about Pinehills which is usually north of a c note…..?
Early Spring and late Fall at both places have low rates. Ranch is $50, and Pinehills is $50-60. Fairview is always the same number... used to be $67, but I haven't played it in a few years. I've been doing the EZLinks (and other) golf for the deep discounts. Even The Ranch has EZLinks rates. I joined at Fairview the first year it opened, didn't even have the back 9 going until late in the year. There really were no fairways, just a small patch here and there. Lots of huge ruts from rain and erosion. Lots of rocks. Price never reflected the conditions, which I knew would get better because I knew what Bob F. did at Stonybrook. It still hurt to pay that much when you could play a nice course with real fairways for less.
ps. I'm pretty sure both The Ranch and Pinehills have multiple should seasons. Pinehills also has 2-for-1 deals to play both courses for the price of 1. 36 demanding holes if you're a real glutton for punishment.

Reaction Score
Early Spring and late Fall at both places have low rates. Ranch is $50, and Pinehills is $50-60. Fairview is always the same number... used to be $67, but I haven't played it in a few years. I've been doing the EZLinks (and other) golf for the deep discounts. Even The Ranch has EZLinks rates. I joined at Fairview the first year it opened, didn't even have the back 9 going until late in the year. There really were no fairways, just a small patch here and there. Lots of huge ruts from rain and erosion. Lots of rocks. Price never reflected the conditions, which I knew would get better because I knew what Bob F. did at Stonybrook. It still hurt to pay that much when you could play a nice course with real fairways for less.
ps. I'm pretty sure both The Ranch and Pinehills have multiple should seasons. Pinehills also has 2-for-1 deals to play both courses for the price of 1. 36 demanding holes if you're a real glutton for punishment.

Thanks Love Pinehills…like Nicklaus better than Jones but both are Top 5-1o in New England publics no doubt………..I have asked for deals as we stay over in Plymouth and play both one day and Waverly on the way out…….great 54 hole excursion with a stay at the Plymouth Sands……...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Played CT National in Putnam today. My second time there. The course is in great shape, but you don't want to be above the hole. Super slick down hill. For over 55s, the rate is $43 including a cart. All players get a $5 discount in the restaurant, which is a great deal since the sandwiches are quite large and average around $9 without the discount. With a drink or two and a hefty sandwich, you are in the $10 or so range.

If you've never tried it, it's worth it , although almost 1:45 from the New Haven area. Also, the first time I went, my GPS took me off 395 2 exits short of RT. 44, and on to a series dirt back roads where I was sure I saw a strange looking toothless kid playing the banjo in front of a house. The route actually works, but this time I opted to go up to Rt. 44. The course is about 5 minutes off of 44.

Reaction Score
Played CT National in Putnam today. My second time there. The course is in great shape, but you don't want to be above the hole. Super slick down hill. For over 55s, the rate is $43 including a cart. All players get a $5 discount in the restaurant, which is a great deal since the sandwiches are quite large and average around $9 without the discount. With a drink or two and a hefty sandwich, you are in the $10 or so range.

If you've never tried it, it's worth it , although almost 1:45 from the New Haven area. Also, the first time I went, my GPS took me off 395 2 exits short of RT. 44, and on to a series dirt back roads where I was sure I saw a strange looking toothless kid playing the banjo in front of a house. The route actually works, but this time I opted to go up to Rt. 44. The course is about 5 minutes off of 44.

If this course was closer to civilization they could up their prices and they would get a lot of play…..I agree with cohen here. Nice track and when in good shape this is a diamond………….

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If this course was closer to civilization they could up their prices and they would get a lot of play…..I agree with cohen here. Nice track and when in good shape this is a diamond………….
I don't play there enough to judge, but it was very busy yesterday. It took our threesome almost 4 1/2 hours. Many foursomes in front of us. We teed off around 9:30. The course is very near the RI line and close enough to southern MA to get play from people there. Being all used to a lack of civilization and deranged enough to be mostly Red Sox fans, they are quite comfortable in the ancient forest.

Reaction Score
Kinda off track because it's not in Ct., but Red Tail at Fort Devens is an absolutely gorgeous track. Not sure how many acres this place is, but most holes are secluded and you can't even see any other holes. Par 3's are elevated tee boxes with spectacular views. Plenty of risk/reward opportunities for the big hitters. What I like about it is there are plenty of bail-out areas where the higher handicappers can play and have a good time.

Reaction Score
Want to get to Red Tail and have been meaning to, heard great things. Have played many in the area but for whatever reason no Devens yet…….

http://www.kettlebrookgolfclub.com/homepage/start_page.php ……… here's one not too many know and is a fun track. Play there a couple times a year with the boys and enjoy it……..just don;t go after a couple of days of rain, drainage is an issue!

Reaction Score
Want to get to Red Tail and have been meaning to, heard great things. Have played many in the area but for whatever reason no Devens yet…….

http://www.kettlebrookgolfclub.com/homepage/start_page.php ……… here's one not too many know and is a fun track. Play there a couple times a year with the boys and enjoy it……..just don;t go after a couple of days of rain, drainage is an issue!

Kettlebrook is an excellent course. They've got a couple really interesting holes there. Isn't that the place with the drive through snack bar when you make the turn?

Reaction Score
Kettlebrook is an excellent course. They've got a couple really interesting holes there. Isn't that the place with the drive through snack bar when you make the turn?

Yes…..some really nice golf holes and always in nice shape when not real wet.

Reaction Score
Also for anyone near the South Windsor area...Topstone is a pretty good track. There is a UMass Turf Management grad there as the superintendent and he does a great job. They get a ton of play and he keeps it in great shape.....okay you guys, don't let where he graduated from keep you from playing there...it's a nice course. :)

Reaction Score
Also for anyone near the South Windsor area...Topstone is a pretty good track. There is a UMass Turf Management grad there as the superintendent and he does a great job. They get a ton of play and he keeps it in great shape.....okay you guys, don't let where he graduated from keep you from playing there...it's a nice course. :)

Always in good shape, played there 4 times already this year. Casey is a real good guy as a pro and it's also the one course you can play after a ton of rain and still have a dry course, great base to the course therefore potentially the best drainage in CT……….front is a little back and forth but the back has some great golf holes……..no bumping and running there with all the traps so yo need to have some wedge game to score but I agree, a consistently manicured public course!

Reaction Score
Always in good shape, played there 4 times already this year. Casey is a real good guy as a pro and it's also the one course you can play after a ton of rain and still have a dry course, great base to the course therefore potentially the best drainage in CT……….front is a little back and forth but the back has some great golf holes……..no bumping and running there with all the traps so yo need to have some wedge game to score but I agree, a consistently manicured public course!

Haven't played it yet this year because I joined Elmcrest in East Longmeadow but I always enjoyed Topstone. I agree, the back is by far the better nine. Always kinda wished they had made 18 a little tougher. That's not your typical finishing hole, but a very pleasant course to play overall.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Always well kept with room to spray the ball (good for me :) )

Reaction Score
Haven't played it yet this year because I joined Elmcrest in East Longmeadow but I always enjoyed Topstone. I agree, the back is by far the better nine. Always kinda wished they had made 18 a little tougher. That's not your typical finishing hole, but a very pleasant course to play overall.

Elmcrest? Not a bad track either……….haven't played in a couple years but always liked it when I did. The 19th hole was awful depressing for such a great place though!! LOL

Reaction Score
i bounced it off the bridge to like 2 inches... haha... birdie...
and your right its not a great staring hole but it s a challenging and beautiful course.

Reaction Score
Elmcrest? Not a bad track either……….haven't played in a couple years but always liked it when I did. The 19th hole was awful depressing for such a great place though!! LOL

Very true about the lounge area. They have made some improvements and are continuing to do so. They got rid of all that God-awful teal colored vinyl from the bar and re-did it with wood. Carpet is coming in soon. They also added a lot of outdoor seating on a deck overlooking the 18th green.

Gotta love that drive-up window though....just big enough to slide a bag-o-beers through!!!lol

Reaction Score
Very true about the lounge area. They have made some improvements and are continuing to do so. They got rid of all that God-awful teal colored vinyl from the bar and re-did it with wood. Carpet is coming in soon. They also added a lot of outdoor seating on a deck overlooking the 18th green.

Gotta love that drive-up window though....just big enough to slide a bag-o-beers through!!!lol

I play out of Tekoa just because I know all the guys in the mornings and we can get some gambling in……..usually at least 36-48 guys on weekend mornings and 16-28 on certain weekdays, more in the summer. It's a "fun" course and the pro EJ is a great dude. We had 12 guys from Edgewood leave together to go over there and we're all happy. It's a track you can have fun, be assured EJ is keeping the greens in great shape and always have a game while getting your handicap. Problem with me is I'm a golf whore so I hardly get my money's worth since I play everywhere……tomorrow Norwich CC with some Meriden buddies…...

Reaction Score
I play out of Tekoa just because I know all the guys in the mornings and we can get some gambling in……..usually at least 36-48 guys on weekend mornings and 16-28 on certain weekdays, more in the summer. It's a "fun" course and the pro EJ is a great dude. We had 12 guys from Edgewood leave together to go over there and we're all happy. It's a track you can have fun, be assured EJ is keeping the greens in great shape and always have a game while getting your handicap. Problem with me is I'm a golf whore so I hardly get my money's worth since I play everywhere……tomorrow Norwich CC with some Meriden buddies…...
Tekoa is a Donald Ross course, isn't it? Played it a couple of times years ago. I only remember the VERY straight tree lines. ;^)

Reaction Score
Tekoa is a Donald Ross course, isn't it? Played it a couple of times years ago. I only remember the VERY straight tree lines. ;^)

Not many straight lines but flat…….dogleg heaven!!! 1, 4, 5, 7, 8 10, 15, 17 all have doglegs and mostly for a cut which I don't have but have been managing lol……..

It was an original Ross but has had some changes from what I understand maybe a Cornish hand in it….being a CT guy originally I never played it until the last 20 years…….crazy thing is the pro EJ Altobello is originally form the same HS asme Maloney in Meriden……..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom