OT: Connecticut golf courses | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Connecticut golf courses

Reaction Score
I played Gillette Ridge a few weeks ago. Had some friends that found a deal for a little under $30. Had never played there before, but I left very unimpressed. I had heard great things but was pretty disappointed. The design was decent, but the overall course shape was pretty abysmal. And there were a couple questionable holes that simply didn't make sense. Nothing like smashing a drive straight down the middle to find out there's a god damn marsh thrown in the middle.

Rico, we should hit a course sometime.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Played what used to be called Pine Valley in Southington this morning. It has been renamed North Ridge and is about to go through some big changes, some of which are apparent now, some in the next year or two when the course might disappear altogether or become a 9 hole. Too bad, because the course is in great shape, the greens are excellent. The most underplayed good and interesting course around. The most apparent changes now are along the holes 7, 15 and 16. A ton of trees taken down and a new housing development of large homes (thought the economy was still lousy) is well underway just beyond the 16th fairway. It gives the course very different feel. It's strange that the course might be be downsized radically, because it looks like some money has been put into clubhouse upgrades, too.

Reaction Score
Hesitate to mention it, but Pine Valley in Southington is a really nice course that gets inexplicably little play, so almost seems like you own it. Not that expensive, usually well maintained and interesting. No two holes alike and the middle of the back 9 requires pretty accurate drives. Laurel View in Hamden is akso interesting. Last year it was in rough shape compared to past years. I grew up on Keney but haven't played there in a very long time.
Pine Valley is about to only nine holes with housing going in the front nine. the back side is too wet for homes so it stays.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
cohenzone said:
Played what used to be called Pine Valley in Southington this morning. It has been renamed North Ridge and is about to go through some big changes, some of which are apparent now, some in the next year or two when the course might disappear altogether or become a 9 hole. Too bad, because the course is in great shape, the greens are excellent. The most underplayed good and interesting course around. The most apparent changes now are along the holes 7, 15 and 16. A ton of trees taken down and a new housing development of large homes (thought the economy was still lousy) is well underway just beyond the 16th fairway. It gives the course very different feel. It's strange that the course might be be downsized radically, because it looks like some money has been put into clubhouse upgrades, too.

PV used to be one of the most overplayed, keep your head up for errant golf balls, burnt out tracks in the state. Talking 5 foursomes on the same hole packed.

But it was a challenging course and fun to play if you could get out without the crowds and before the grass was worn down.

It will be reconfigured as 9-hole course.

Reaction Score
You needed to be able to shape the ball a bit for that course and hit it pretty straight to score there…….what I didn't like all that much is the driver was in the bag way too much. BUt always in good shape and as DogBoy will attest to always had DiBiaso looking making sure you weren't sneaking any refreshments out there…..(somehow I always found a way)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
PV used to be one of the most overplayed, keep your head up for errant golf balls, burnt out tracks in the state. Talking 5 foursomes on the same hole packed.

But it was a challenging course and fun to play if you could get out without the crowds and before the grass was worn down.

It will be reconfigured as 9-hole course.

I don't know how long ago you're talking about, because since I moved to this area 11 years ago, it was always in good shape and not close to overplayed, at least not on week day mornings. It was often like having your own private course.

Reaction Score
Pine Valley is about to only nine holes with housing going in the front nine. the back side is too wet for homes so it stays.

That's too bad -- the front was the better track.

Reaction Score
1 - Nice par 5 to start
2 - Par 4 a little whacked but not bad….
3 - short 3 but with that green challenging to make bird for sure…….
4 - Good blind par 4 short
5 - Mirror 2 almost
6 - 8 iron, PW - weird but fun
7 - challenging par 5 2 hammers to get home
8 - fun down hill par 3
9 - challenging par 4, 2 accurate shots to a large green

10 - fun par 3, accurate 7,8 iron in with trees surrounding
11 - good par 4 blind tee need to keep it left for better look in
12 - although it's screwed up par 5 kind of, always fun and reachable with a solid tee ball……great view starting at the mountain
13 - Worst hole, 8 iron 4,5 iron 2nd shot……….unless you can cut the crap out of the ball
14 - it's better than it was, nice look over the pond
15 - Best par 3 pn the course, nice hole
16 - fun par 5 reachable
17 - good par 4 down hill, accuracy for approach needed
18 - uphill Par 3 weirds finish

Excalibur is right the front is a lot better!

Reaction Score
1 - Nice par 5 to start Agree
2 - Par 4 a little whacked but not bad…. Need to draw the ball
3 - short 3 but with that green challenging to make bird for sure……. Very difficult with front pin
4 - Good blind par 4 short Need to cut the ball
5 - Mirror 2 almost Need to draw, again, but also need to find a flat lie, distance key
6 - 8 iron, PW - weird but fun Maybe for you... 5-6, then 6-7 for me.
7 - challenging par 5 2 hammers to get home Need a little fade off the tee to get a clean look.
8 - fun down hill par 3 again, front pin is difficult, hard to stop it
9 - challenging par 4, 2 accurate shots to a large green very difficult for shorter hitter to even get there in regulation

10 - fun par 3, accurate 7,8 iron in with trees surrounding 5i-7w for me
11 - good par 4 blind tee need to keep it left for better look in tight for a driver, need a baby draw.
12 - although it's screwed up par 5 kind of, always fun and reachable with a solid tee ball……great view starting at the mountain
a 3-shot hole for mortals and old people
13 - Worst hole, 8 iron 4,5 iron 2nd shot……….unless you can cut the crap out of the ball agree, plays very long for me, 5w-5w
14 - it's better than it was, nice look over the pond used to have a huge tree guarding the front right side of the green... weird
15 - Best par 3 pn the course, nice hole HUGE green, 3-4 clubs difference, easy
16 - fun par 5 reachable nice hole, tight approach
17 - good par 4 down hill, accuracy for approach needed need to be on the left off the tee, otherwise can be blocked out
18 - uphill Par 3 weirds finish always played this in the dark in our late-starting league.

Excalibur is right the front is a lot better!
Had to update this for old guys. ;^)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Had to update this for old guys. ;^)

Agree on #6. #7 reachable in 2? By who, Woods? Totally different driving hole now. All the trees top of the hill on the left until just before the 16th green are gone, making a drive up that way less risky than the possibility of going too far right and blocked on the 2nd shot. No problem from being too far left anymore.

The thing with this course is driving accuracy often makes a very big difference. # 2 is an angle that fits nobody's eye unless you are really good at drawing the ball. A drive faded into the rough on #9 is often blocked for the next shot and very hard for the average golfer to reach in two, not to mention that the flag is often tucked behind the trap on the right side of this very wide, big breaking green. .

# 11 I've had so many dead center drives kick left and behind trees it isn't funny. # 12, for shorter hitters and white tees located back in the box, carrying the pond can be a problem and going left too close to the tree line and not beyond means a definite lay up. 14 is a tricky drive as well, Big hitters might reach the forward pond with a driver, and any ball hooked a little can go into the left pond. #17. which in my younger days I could come close to driving, can be a big problem for a ball too far into the left rough and a hot hook left goes into the 16th fairway, in either case either a likely layup or tricky pitch through a bunch of trees.

No two holes are really all that much alike, maybe #5 and 17 being the most similar. I like it (even though I cra**ped out on the front 9 today. ) and will miss the layout.

Reaction Score
I have not seen Timberlin in Berlin listed yet.
Great course. Also another one is Hunter in Meriden.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Played Timberlin once and enjoyed it... Moving to Berlin soon, so I foresee more rounds there in my future!

Reaction Score

Jeez Steve I need to get you away from the area - Timberlin = "great"?

LOL…….hope you're well my friend and Tom Long/Joe Lucero are taking care of you!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Jeez Steve I need to get you away from the area - Timberlin = "great"?

Talk about an overplayed course. Always slow rounds.

Couple of good CT courses but a bit out of the way for some, Fairview Farms in Harwinton and Oxford Green in, hmm, Oxford. A decent 9 hole with the most wicked greens around in terms of difficulty, Woodhaven in Woodbridge.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
cohenzone said:

Couple of good CT courses but a bit out of the way for some, Fairview Farms in Harwinton and Oxford Green in, hmm, Oxford. A decent 9 hole with the most wicked greens around in terms of difficulty, Woodhaven in Woodbridge.

FVF is horrible, way too crowded, ridiculously expensive and the fire tennis balls at you while you are trying to putt.

So I'd stay away. I'll let everyone know when I'm done with my round. ;)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
FVF is horrible, way too crowded, ridiculously expensive and the fire tennis balls at you while you are trying to putt.

So I'd stay away. I'll let everyone know when I'm done with my round. ;)

Had me there for a moment.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
cohenzone said:
Had me there for a moment.

Yeah, I like it. Though I have a love/hate relationship with #10.

Reaction Score

I think Oxford Greens is horribly overrated. Greens are like cement, the layout is tricked up to make it seem tough, and not particularly scenic. If I'm going to shell out that kind of coin for a round, I'd much rather play Fox Hopyard or Lake of Isles.

Reaction Score
Jones course at Lyman is nice as well. The Gary Player course there sucks though.

I prefer the Player course. A little gimmicky but target golf which I like.

Reaction Score
Has anyone played Pequabuck in Bristol? I've driven by it a few times, looks decent and usually empty.

If you're willing to make a drive, Fairview Farms in Harwinton is an outstanding course, and generally moves pretty quickly.

Pequabuck used to be private, but they let you go out after 2pm on the weekends for daily fee. Played it a lot. Very nice course - short, but interesting holes. Has been about 10 years since I've played it though.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I play Grassy Hill in Orange most frequently. Well maintained, decent layout, but great greens.

Reaction Score
Fairview Farns is a wonderful and fun track…….always in good shape and the greens are excellent……….some real fun holes

Reaction Score
Agree on #6. #7 reachable in 2? By who, Woods? Totally different driving hole now. All the trees top of the hill on the left until just before the 16th green are gone, making a drive up that way less risky than the possibility of going too far right and blocked on the 2nd shot. No problem from being too far left anymore.

The thing with this course is driving accuracy often makes a very big difference. # 2 is an angle that fits nobody's eye unless you are really good at drawing the ball. A drive faded into the rough on #9 is often blocked for the next shot and very hard for the average golfer to reach in two, not to mention that the flag is often tucked behind the trap on the right side of this very wide, big breaking green. .

# 11 I've had so many dead center drives kick left and behind trees it isn't funny. # 12, for shorter hitters and white tees located back in the box, carrying the pond can be a problem and going left too close to the tree line and not beyond means a definite lay up. 14 is a tricky drive as well, Big hitters might reach the forward pond with a driver, and any ball hooked a little can go into the left pond. #17. which in my younger days I could come close to driving, can be a big problem for a ball too far into the left rough and a hot hook left goes into the 16th fairway, in either case either a likely layup or tricky pitch through a bunch of trees.

No two holes are really all that much alike, maybe #5 and 17 being the most similar. I like it (even though I cra**ped out on the front 9 today. ) and will miss the layout.
I didn't say I could reach it in 2 on #7, but the league I played in had a number of guys doing it, or taking a good run at it. My best tee ball probably left me 225 away, which is too much for me these days, but not out of the question for a lot of people.

Reaction Score
I think Oxford Greens is horribly overrated. Greens are like cement, the layout is tricked up to make it seem tough, and not particularly scenic. If I'm going to shell out that kind of coin for a round, I'd much rather play Fox Hopyard or Lake of Isles.
Fox Hopyard and Lake of Isles are both MUCH nicer, and MUCH more expensive that Oxford Greens, which is similar to Fairview in a lot of ways. Try The Ranch, in Southwick, MA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom