OT: Best Restaurants/Food or places to go in CT | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Restaurants/Food or places to go in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Nice. Yes, that is good stuff. Had some great meals in South Beach. Actually was in PIT and we went to a Cuban place and had the traditional Cuban sandwich

That is up there with any Philly Cheesesteak, Italian Beef or Ny deli style.

I agree there - a really good Cuban sandwich is an amazing thing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So I've never been to Cavey's and I was looking for a place for a special meal with the missus before the Stevie Wonder show at the XL on Sunday 10/11. I see that they only do Italian on Sundays, which is the upstairs; and I note that the raves are always about the French restaurant downstairs.

I love both cuisines when done well, but I don't want to waste the trip to Cavey's if the downstairs is far superior, relatively.

Any thoughts from the Hartford intelligencia on this vexing issue would be appreciated.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
wow, two years back into the way back machine for this thread. That was a hell of a search.
The length of time that has passed since something was posted doesn't make a search more or less difficult when you are searching for a term as unique as "Cavey's."

Reaction Score
Unrelated:

have there ever been A&W Root Beer drive-ins in CT? I'm thinking of petitioning the company to open up some CT locations.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
have there ever been A&W Root Beer drive-ins in CT? I'm thinking of petitioning the company to open up some CT locations.

There was one on 44 out past UConn years ago.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So I've never been to Cavey's and I was looking for a place for a special meal with the missus before the Stevie Wonder show at the XL on Sunday 10/11. I see that they only do Italian on Sundays, which is the upstairs; and I note that the raves are always about the French restaurant downstairs.

I love both cuisines when done well, but I don't want to waste the trip to Cavey's if the downstairs is far superior, relatively.

Any thoughts from the Hartford intelligencia on this vexing issue would be appreciated.
Bumping the reason for my bump of this thread to see if anyone has any insight on this. Thanks.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Bumping the reason for my bump of this thread to see if anyone has any insight on this. Thanks.
I've never been to Cavey's, but recall the Italian was Northern and supposedly very well done. The French was the headliner. I wouldn't be surprised by the lack of responses that this is a place that has seen its better days.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've never been to Cavey's, but recall the Italian was Northern and supposedly very well done. The French was the headliner. I wouldn't be surprised by the lack of responses that this is a place that has seen its better days.

Not for me, I still like Cavey's upstairs. I put it in the same ballpark as Firebox and Max Fish. But Cavey's downstairs is at a higher level.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I'll give some love to the more informal places. Super Duper Weenie in fairfield is still absolutely great. Also, if you like authentic Mexican, there's a little taco truck called El Charrito off the beaten path in Stamford. Found it one day on Yelp and I've been going back ever since. Big menu, amazing fresh food, and you can get a very filling meal for under 10 bucks. Can't really beat that around Stamford.

+1,000,000 on SDW. It puts any other place to shame.

In Stamford - I'm a big fan of Fiesta - especially of the Chaufa. It's outrageously good.

Reaction Score
I live in New Haven, and these are places that people have to try in the city:

1. Skappo - Italian/Wine Bar. Phenomenal food and wine selection, and the menu changes daily.
2. Zafra - Cuban/Rum Bar. Best Cuban food in the state, along with over 200 different types of rum available. I'm a big fan of mojitos, and they have some of the best around.
3. Ordinary - Hipster bar with a limited menu, but they have hands down one of the best grilled cheeses I have ever had in my life. Cool vibe, good beer selection.
4. Prime 16 - Cajun Patty Melt...
5. Consiglio's - on Wooster street, its the kind of place that the mafia would eat at (in a good way). Dated décor, but the food and service was awesome. Highly recommended
6. BAR - Pizza...and a nightclub
7. Soul de Cuba - Pan con Bistec
8. Anna Liffey's - Great for football (European) on Saturday mornings, if you are looking for a full breakfast, bangers & mash or your typical garbage plate. Surprisingly, they have a full dinner menu too including Philly Cheesesteak Eggrolls and typical Irish fare.
9. Caseus - Cheese shop with a creative menu

Reaction Score
+1,000,000 on SDW. It puts any other place to shame.

In Stamford - I'm a big fan of Fiesta - especially of the Chaufa. It's outrageously good.

Agree on SDW - I stopped there before the UConn - Eastern Washington bball game during the 2013-2014 season when they played in Bridgeport

Curiouser
Reaction Score

We ate at Cavey's upstairs last night before the show as planned.

It was excellent in all respects. Definitely the best Italian food I have had in the Hartford area, and I would put it on par with my favorites in New Haven. Every course was really done well. As an added bonus, on Sunday nights they have a reserve wine list with 50% off the bottles, which allowed us to get a bit crazy with the wine and order bottles that we would never have ordered otherwise.

Checked out the downstairs (which is closed on Sundays) very quickly just to get a look. Pretty sure we'll make a point to go back for dinner there sometime.

Reaction Score
The wife and I ate at Treva in West Hartford for a super rare "date day" since we were both off and our daughter was in day care. Very, very good. Best restaurant meal I've had in a long time. Nothing groundbreaking, just everything done to a very high level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom