OT: Best Restaurants/Food or places to go in CT | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Restaurants/Food or places to go in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
almost forgot

Kitchen Little in Mystic looks like a hole in the wall, it's about the size of a hole in the wall, and it serves some of the best breakfast I've ever had
Speaking of Mystic, try the Pita Spot if you like falafel, hummus and the like. So good.

Reaction Score
Had a bowl of skyline chili served 5 way last year, thought the chili was fairly gross. Maybe it grows on you but I did not like the taste. Never had good Mexican food in Connecticut my whole life, I sure do miss the pizza though, I've had pizza everywhere and Connecticut is easily the best pizza state.

Reaction Score
Not sure and I'm not sure about Filipek's either but both had great kielbasa...........not living there any more but you are correct!
Czapiga's has reopened, at least seasonally. Filipek's is going strong. As a matter of fact, that's where I buy MY kielbasa. Love it! Another great spot in Meriden is Noack's German Butcher shop & Deli. Their breakfast sausages & wursts are to die for.

Reaction Score
Czapiga's has reopened, at least seasonally. Filipek's is going strong. As a matter of fact, that's where I buy MY kielbasa. Love it! Another great spot in Meriden is Noack's German Butcher shop & Deli. Their breakfast sausages & wursts are to die for.

Wow where is Noacks coach? I lived there for the first 30 years of my life and still have mom and family there and have no idea.................

I know Ricky Filipek had some real tough luck and he was one of the chief kielbasa "chefs" so I didn't know what happened.........great Basa but I'll have to get some Noacks next visit thanks

Reaction Score
Wow where is Noacks coach? I lived there for the first 30 years of my life and still have mom and family there and have no idea.................

I know Ricky Filipek had some real tough luck and he was one of the chief kielbasa "chefs" so I didn't know what happened.........great Basa but I'll have to get some Noacks next visit thanks
Noack's is on East Main St, by the interchanges for I-91 & the Wilbur Cross parkway. It's on the left as you head eastbound (toward Middlefield).

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

You don't know Nowacks? Right on East Main across from where M&E Ford used to be. On the corner of Arlington and E. Main.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
[

As for Eli Cannon's, I've also been going here since they've opened their doors. All I can say is that they have been a roller coaster in terms of both beer and food quality in recent years. The beer has improved markedly again since they brought back an old beer manager, but on my last few visits the food was disappointing. And the wings haven't been good at all in recent years, which is a real shame because once upon a time they were the best.

There beer is better than their food lately. Nora's across the street has excellent cupcakes "maybe the best in the state.".

IMO, the best Middletown bets there are O'Rourke's, which is the best diner, period. Seriously, nothing comes close to this place, and Brian O'Rourke is a great man. And Forbidden City has some great Chinese fusion, albeit a bit pricey. The ION used to be great, as in the best vegetarian food I've ever had, but it is a mere shadow of its former self these days.[/quote]

I like O'Rourke's but miss the old days when his uncle owned it and it was open 24 hours.

ION lost their chief Mark Shadle who now runs a food truck which is great

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I'm not big on MJ's -- I think David Burke's at Foxwoods is much better as far as steakhouses go.

David Burke's has a great burger as well. I know most people don't go there for their burgers but they are some of the best I have ever had.

Reaction Score
You don't know Nowacks? Right on East Main across from where M&E Ford used to be. On the corner of Arlington and E. Main.

Dove and coach, I have to admit I can't even picture it........there's the old Ponderosa place, then houses down until you get to the spring water /apartments area (there was a massage parlor across from Zorba's lol) and then the old Sun Valley.......must be before the Ponderosa style place and the diner (if the diner is even there?)......and I'm an east sider!!! lol.........wow

Reaction Score
Dove and coach, I have to admit I can't even picture it........there's the old Ponderosa place, then houses down until you get to the spring water /apartments area (there was a massage parlor across from Zorba's lol) and then the old Sun Valley.......must be before the Ponderosa style place and the diner (if the diner is even there?)......and I'm an east sider!!! lol.........wow
VERY near the Diner!

Reaction Score

And the German Potato Salad at Noacks is great too.

On a side note if you want a real good steamed cheeseburger try K LaMays (next to Les' ice cream) on East Main Street(Meriden). IMO much better than (World Famous) Ted's.

Reaction Score
haha didn't realize we had so many from Meriden here. I'm from Meriden as well. While i've never actually been to Noack's i know its right next to the diner/the sketchy motel/ and american steakhouse. There's also some good Mexican a bit farther down at La Cucamacara. It's in a small strip mall that they built right across from where Jacoby's used to be. There is also Taco Mi Nacho which is in a small plaza almost right across the firehouse on Broad. Both small takeout places but are really good- I found them by looking through yelp reviews

Reaction Score
I have been to SD and old town many times for business and had tons of authentic Mexican, I don't like it at all. Prefer Tex Mex. Don't like mole, the sauces, etc. again prefernces.

Is BBq in this, KC, Tex, Carolina, etc.? That could be its own thread too.

I can absolutely stop going back. Had it once and never had the desire again. It's an insult to "chili".

I lived in Mexico. Most of the stuff on those menus isn't eaten anywhere in Mexico except very close to the US border (e.g. fajitas, burritos). Although some of the stuff at Geronimo looks more legit than Coyote. The old Forest Cafe (now closed) in Cambridge used to be the best true Mexican in New England. I do like Maya in NYC though.

Reaction Score
How about steamed cheeseburgers. Are you guys familiar with Ted's in Meriden? Used to absolutely love that place, but it seems the quality has gone downhill a bit in recent years.

Reaction Score
How about steamed cheeseburgers. Are you guys familiar with Ted's in Meriden? Used to absolutely love that place, but it seems the quality has gone downhill a bit in recent years.

As I mentioned above try K LaMays(next to Les' on East Main in Meriden). IMO much better than Ted's.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
O'Rourke's Diner in Middletown also does steamed cheeseburgers. There was also a steamed cheeseburger place in Stratford for while when I was growing up there. Aside from the novelty, I never really got the attraction. I'm partial to the flavor that a flame imparts on beef, so I like grilled burgers best.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
haha didn't realize we had so many from Meriden here. I'm from Meriden as well. While i've never actually been to Noack's i know its right next to the diner/the sketchy motel/ and american steakhouse. There's also some good Mexican a bit farther down at La Cucamacara. It's in a small strip mall that they built right across from where Jacoby's used to be. There is also Taco Mi Nacho which is in a small plaza almost right across the firehouse on Broad. Both small takeout places but are really good- I found them by looking through yelp reviews

Taco Mi Nacho has the best Torta's I have ever had. I especially like the Pollo with extra guacamole

Reaction Score
For Mexican, try the Puerta Vallarta chain: Southington, Orange, Avon?. & I believe Rocky Hill. Yummy.

Reaction Score
For Mexican, try the Puerta Vallarta chain: Southington, Orange, Avon?. & I believe Rocky Hill. Yummy.

Meh. That place is barely a step up from Taco Bell. Try El Sarape in Hartford. It'll cost half as much and be twice as good.

Reaction Score
2 hopewell in Glastonbury is very good. I think we need to keep this thread and the pizza thread going for the Louisville game.

Reaction Score
Love O'Rourke. Stopped at HayWires in Westbrook ( on the right before the singing bridge). A new burger place. Very good burgers and great tomato soup.

Reaction Score
How about within a 20 minute drive of Storrs? Recommendations? Haven't been in a long while.
A yes to everyone who said WilliBrew/Main St Pub. However, If you're looking to go before/after a bball game (I assume you are because, well why else would you go to Storrs?) the place gets veryyyyyyyy crowded on game days. Tavern House Grille in Tolland isn't the nicest place in the world by any means but the food isn't bad for gameday fair and they have a decent beer selection. Also, New England pizza and of course Wood N' Tap in Vernon are good. Tullycross in Manchester is a brewpub with excellent beers and hit or miss food.

Reaction Score
I'm gointo Dish before the Louisville game, I've only had lunch there, good burgers. The best imo is the Jersey burger, italian sausage with broccoli rabe and toasted garlic on a bun, incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom