OT: Best Restaurants/Food or places to go in CT | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Restaurants/Food or places to go in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
His new place is called the Meatball House. It's a good food concept, with four different meatballs (beef, pork, chicken, veggie) plus one daily special, and you can order them a variety of ways, i.e., over some great sides (people rave about the black garlic mashed potatoes and the mac and cheese, but my favorite sides are the kale and quinoa), on a roll, with one of four different sauces, or over a salad (also a favorite, especially the arugula). They also have a few different small pizzas. Like Prime, he has a decent beer selection at the new place, as well as some decent wines. BTW, he also owns C.O. Jones.

Rudy's is another that deserves mention. It's not the Rudy's we grew up with, but the new place is nice, and the Belgian frites and dipping sauces are still the best in the state imo.

A digression, related to NH Meatball House location: Anybody else here spend nights listening to music at Ron's Place?

Reaction Score
Wife & I went out last evening with 3 other couples & ate at 50 West in Plainville. It's an elegant bistro downtown. The service was great. The meals were delicious & served very quickly.

Reaction Score
I'll be going to Dish before the game tonite. What is everyone else doing?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Not much Litchfield county love in this thread. I'll put in a plug for Kelly's Kitchen in Winsted - best breakfast I've had period.

Boston area restaurants:
Tapas - Solea in Waltham
Thai - Montien in Boston
Vietnamese/Pho - Pho So 1 in Randolph
Asian Fusion - Blue Ginger in Wellesley

My Philly favorite for wings, crab legs and crab fries - Chickie & Pete's on the Blvd

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I'll put in a plug for Kelly's Kitchen in Winsted - best breakfast I've had period.

I went to Nita's Saturday morning. Any place that has a 45 minute wait for a table at 8:30 on a Saturday morning is doing something right.

I had an excellent tomato, basil, onion, and bacon omelet, but the highlight was strawberry-rhubarb stuffed crepes smothered in homemade applesauce and roasted pecans.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the reminder. We had a lengthy conference on Friday and decided to order a "Bucket of Pasta" to go. All of their "buckets' are great, but the "Farmer's Pasta" bucket hit the spot.

For anyone who is in the Springfield area, mau nailed it:

http://www.typicalsicilian.com/bucket.php

You know what's funny Tom is I didn't even hear of the buckets until now, just went there with some couples oonce and had to go with family a couple more times because it was so damn good.....always a wait but well worth it....

Thanks for the heads up, I may "cook Italian for the family soon!" LOL

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not much Litchfield county love in this thread. I'll put in a plug for Kelly's Kitchen in Winsted - best breakfast I've had period.

What about Northern Galapagos? Is it still good? And Infinity Bistro has always been good for me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This list is super Fairfield County-heavy. Not sure who the "experts" were, but Greenwich/Norwalk/Westport was way over-represented compared to the rest of the state.

Yeah, Connecticut Magazine should really be called Fairfield County Magazine.

SouthTampaBill

20" Neck
Reaction Score
Amazingly, living in Madison from 1985 till 1995 we would struggle to find a decent restaurant in the New Haven area not named PIzza to go to.
With all that beautiful shoreline the restaurants pretty much all sucked

Reaction Score
Amazingly, living in Madison from 1985 till 1995 we would struggle to find a decent restaurant in the New Haven area not named PIzza to go to.
With all that beautiful shoreline the restaurants pretty much all sucked

Didn't look very hard, did you?

Reaction Score
My favorite Mexican is Iguana Ranas in Middletown. It's no-frills and family owned. Plaza Azteca in Wallingford has good tacos, though I don't care that much for their burritos.
My favorite Indian (in CT) is Haveli, also in Middletown.
My favorite Thai is Tamarind in Hartford.
I love Trumbull Kitchen and Salut (get the seared scallops).
We went to Esca in Middletown and my meal was absolutely fantastic, while on the same night my wife's was horrible, with overcooked pasta. How the hell do you overcook pasta at an Italian restaurant? My lamb osso bucco was awesome, though.
My favorite steamed cheeseburgers are actually the ones from the VFW booth at the Durham Fair. I like Ted's but these are better.
The best burger I've ever had was from Orbakers in Sodus, NY (on Rt. 104). I'm still looking for a CT place that can match that. Don't bother mentioning Louie's...I like a bun, cheese and mustard, thank you very much. I don't care if you "invented" it.
I won't even mention pizza because everyone's taste on that is so subjective it's not even worth discussing.

Reaction Score
How about steamed cheeseburgers. Are you guys familiar with Ted's in Meriden? Used to absolutely love that place, but it seems the quality has gone downhill a bit in recent years.

Played rec leagues under the Teds name in hoops growing up in the summer...........ventured there often, mostly after 2-3am while finishing my evenings events across the street at The Brookside (now Quality Time)......

They opened a Ted's in cromwell also!!! ....... the original still the best and has been on the Food Channel often!

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
What about Northern Galapagos? Is it still good? And Infinity Bistro has always been good for me.
I've never been to either. I think I'll look up NGalap next time I visit family there. Last time I was there we stopped by a little pizza/sub shop called Frank's Pizza, no ambiance but pretty good eats.

Reaction Score
Anybody ever eaten at Bonterra Italian Bistro in downtown Southington? Just wondering...my daughter is there right now for her tennis coaches/tennis captains pre-season dinner.

Reaction Score
Went to max burger last night had the longhorn chili and buff chic wrap. Loved the chili, next time getting a large bowl. My gf had a turkey burger which was ok, almost too much seasoning though. Service was great and loved the beer. After dinner shakes were great too.

Reaction Score
Asian Fusion on Main Street in South Glastonbury serves excellent Thai food. If you are in the area and like Thai food, I strongly recommend this place.

Reaction Score
almost forgot

Kitchen Little in Mystic looks like a hole in the wall, it's about the size of a hole in the wall, and it serves some of the best breakfast I've ever had

kL was my hangover remedy, but it's gone now!

Reaction Score
Anyone know any good spots in Providence? Heading straight from work to the game Thursday and will have some time to kill.

Reaction Score
Christies is good breakfast. Always a wait on the weekends

I dont think anyone has mentioned Rein's Deli in Vernon. Great Jewish deli and great food.

Reaction Score
Anybody ever eaten at Bonterra Italian Bistro in downtown Southington? Just wondering...my daughter is there right now for her tennis coaches/tennis captains pre-season dinner.
I live in Southington and I am not a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom