OT: A favorite folk song | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: A favorite folk song

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
No folk music thread is complete without one of my favorite artists, Tracy Chapman.

I saw her live in Norfolk, VA around 1999 and she was awesome. Her warmup act was Jeffrey Gaines, who was also incredible, just by himself with acoustic guitar that night--no backing band.

It was a stellar evening, completely devoid of flash-and-dash, light shows, lasers, auto-tuning, onstage histrionics, or (the horror) lip syncing.

Not sure if some of today's kids would cotton to a show like that! It would be like an alien invasion to them.

Reaction Score
Where have all the flowers Gone.

Interesting that the question in every last refrain " When will they ever learn, is not answered by learning. The answer is through unlearning.

Reaction Score
Fairport Convention's version of 'Who Knows Where the Time Goes', featuring the inimitable voice of Sandy Denny...

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Where have all the flowers Gone.

Interesting that the question in every last refrain " When will they ever learn, is not answered by learning. The answer is through unlearning.

When I was a little kid I recall my parents going to see the Kingston Trio perform and I thought they were getting into Jamaican music. :)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, sir, in this entire "folk song" thread, there seem to be about mebbe a dozen or so actual "folk songs". Some damned good music and some not so hot (I am restrainging my sarcasm over some of the entries, but it ain't easy.) The first thing I am going to post is in response to "kids of today not getting it". The second is one of my favorite old-time, mountain, genuine folk groups, the White Top Mountain Band featuring Martha Ann Spencer. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, I was wondering if a poster was deliberately using non-folk songs. Some nice walks down memory lane here though.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I know, I know, this thread died a natural death 12 pages ago, but an old friend just directed me to Kate Wolf...and she so belongs here.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Sorry, I don't do links - and I doubt I could find one for my favorite folk song:

"Cotton Fields" by Odetta.

"Oh, when those cotton balls get rotten
You cain't pick very much cotton
In them ooold cotton fields back home. . . ."

Reaction Score
Sorry, I don't do links - and I doubt I could find one for my favorite folk song:

"Cotton Fields" by Odetta.

"Oh, when those cotton balls get rotten
You cain't pick very much cotton
In them ooold cotton fields back home. . . ."

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
With my apologies to the genre mavens. . . This is a great ride down memory lane, here a personal favorite from The Seekers, A World of Our Own

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
One of my college roommates had Peter Seeger and Arlo Guthrie in concert album.
All four sides had great songs. These were a couple of my favorites:

On a Monday (I can't find it on You tube)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Lots of artists made this a great song for my generation.

So, I just got gently reminded that I nominated this song twice, with Joan and PP&M. Well, it was a great fav of mine and a good friend in high school and I proposed to sing it in the annual - get ready for this - talent show! It was our try out song and people loved it. Then the thought police vetoed it as too racy, suggestive, salacious...whatever. So we ended up with singing a Kingston Trio fav ... something about the MTA in Boston ;) It was then when I started to hate authority figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom