OT: A favorite folk song | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: A favorite folk song

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This was it for me...1967. I was coming of age in 7th grade, first major crush. Susan, still dream of you.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
New stuff from Lucinda...

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Patty Larkin's "Helen" is a wonderful ode to Maine old-timers and folks "moving in."

I love this coast like I love my sons
I love the wind like my daughter
Used to be I knew everyone
'cause everyone was born here...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I really enjoy traditional Celtic folk from Cape Breton and some of the the younger adaptations. Above is The Coaltown Road by the Barra MacNeils.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not sure it really qualifies as it originated as a Hymn and has been a spiritual classic for centuries, but it gets picked up by so many different performers and genres - and the version in Alice's Restaurant was the one I was thinking about but can't find so an Arlo and Pete version is my first listing:

And to bring this back to Uconn - a version by Judy Collins (married to a Uconn prof in the early 1960s and performed at various faculty parties around town - my parents remembered hearing her sing informally - and on the Uconn radio station live):

And finally another version out there - with interesting notes in the listing about its origin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G72NucLEGM

Of note - the author the Reverend Newton - started life as a slave trader.

Reaction Score
Springsteen got into songs that Pete Seeger had popularized. He ended up touring with The Sessions Band, an amazing group of musicians. This is from Dublin (the Dublin Live album is a gem). Factoid: the banjo player is Dr. Greg Listz, who took a break from Crooked Still to tour with Springsteen. Oh, and his PhD is from MIT in microbiology.

Reaction Score
Not sure anyone remembers Blondie . She was really hot in my college time.

Reaction Score
It was necessary to look up the definition of a folk song so as not to contribute a song that does not meet the criteria. although still not sure, here is the original 1939 version of Mbube the South African song that has been reworked into the very popular The Lion Sleeps Tonight.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It was necessary to look up the definition of a folk song so as not to contribute a song that does not meet the criteria. although still not sure, here is the original 1939 version of Mbube the South African song that has been reworked into the very popular The Lion Sleeps Tonight.

A "re-working"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro