OT: A favorite folk song | The Boneyard

OT: A favorite folk song

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Off season stuff--we've often dealt with sharing songs herein, but I don't think we have done this with folk tunes. So, if you care to play, introduce us to one you like.

Reaction Score
Off season stuff--we've often dealt with sharing songs herein, but I don't think we have done this with folk tunes. So, if you care to play, introduce us to one you like.

Ralph McTell, Streets of London

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Don't have a good live version. These guys do a lot of different stuff, but this one's kinda folksy.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
These guys from from Boston area. You can catch them around the area once in awhile.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Here's another from Adam Ezra. Pretty cool if you watch til the end. They are putting on a "Ramble" this weekend. Raising money for Veterans. This is their 6th year. http://getrambled.com/

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Can't pick just one. Few folk songs rank higher in the pantheon of traditional music than "House of the Rising Sun." The song's origins are believed to date back to the 17th century, and folk song collector Alan Lomax noted that part of the song's melody may have been borrowed from "Lord Barnard and Little Musgrove."

I like the 1964 cover version the best, though many go for this one:

Reaction Score
City Of New Orleans. And, Come On In My Kitchen: Delaney and Bonnie.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Can't pick just one. Few folk songs rank higher in the pantheon of traditional music than "House of the Rising Sun." The song's origins are believed to date back to the 17th century, and folk song collector Alan Lomax noted that part of the song's melody may have been borrowed from "Lord Barnard and Little Musgrove."

I like the 1964 cover version the best, though many go for this one:

The melody originated in Great Britain centuries ago. But the words are American. Many assume that the lyrics refer to a house of prostitution, but the song actually refers to the Women's House of Detention in New Orleans in the late 1800's. As a symbol of its goal of rehabilitating wayward women, the facility has at its gates a stone relief of a dramatic sunrise. Dave VanRonk made the song popular among folksingers in Greenwich Village beginning in 1960. Bob Dylan swiped the song from him and recorded it for Columbia in 1962 before VanRonk had a chance to record it. (Other versions of the song had already been recorded by Josh White, Nina Simone, and others.) A young Englishman named Eric Burdon heard the song on a trip to NYC and brought it back to his band, The Animals. The band did a new arrangement that featured a strong organ riff by their keyboard player, Alan Price. When the record company went to copyright the song they either didn't know it was in the public domain, or -- more likely -- didn't care. Since the clerk who did the filing liked the organ riff (this was before the record was released), the copyright was assigned to Alan Price. The song became a mega-hit, and as scores of other artists recorded it the Price copyright was used. It became an issue with the other band members, since all the royalty checks went to Price, who thus made literally hundreds of times more money on the song than his bandmates. So much, that he quit the band the year after the song became a hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom