Ollie's Dinner - Table Update (Now includes some details on Ollie's speach!) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie's Dinner - Table Update (Now includes some details on Ollie's speach!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Nice job DB. Funny how we pretty much had the same things to say. Sorry that I missed you. Looked around for you, but to no avail. Catch you next time.

Next time - bicycle flags!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I'm sorry I missed some of the Yarders. Tried to find DB2U or Tom E but couldn't locate either. I did catch up with Glastonhusky and sat at his table.

The event didn't disappoint. I hung on every word KO said tonight. There are so many words that describe him. Positive, believer in people, giver of second chances, receiver of second chances, humble, mentor, friend, and the list goes on.

He had a lot of great things to say about each player.

Daniels - uber-talented coming in. Now has learned to develop his skills now. He considered leaving but his Dad didn't want any part of that. Told him to finish what he began there. Went from getting little play his freshman year to being one of the most underrated, talented and now skilled player in the nation. Sounded like he expect huge things from Daniels.

Samuel - The biggest surprise so far. Reminds him of himself. Great at pushing the ball but needs to improve his jumpshot. Said that will come by his junior or senior year.

Brimah - The next great Husky shotblocker. Has arms that just go and keep on going.

Giffey - Playing great making it hard for him to decide who will start. Does whatever KO asks without questioning. He's UConn utility player (baseball ref).

Olander - Has to make the most of his second chance. Wants him make the most of his last season and mature as a person more than as a basketball player.

Facey - Couldn't stop talking about how good a person he is. Even as he's dealing with his uncertain eligibility, he's often lifting KO up compared to the reverse. Seems to believe he's going to be a great player someday and is greatly needed this season for his rebounding and paint defense among other things.

Nolan - Needs to play with emotion. Will step out and knock done mid-range Js. Needs to play tough inside and rebound. Pump fisted for the first time the other day...or was it today. Said it was a big step as far as playing with intensity.

Kromah - Like Giffey, has a lot of position flexibility. Will help play anywhere from the 2 through 4, if I remember correctly. Toughness!

Tolksdorf - Hard worker often seeks KO out for extra time on working on his shot. Seems PT will be tough to come by but KO will try to work him in. He's shooting the ball very well.

Boatright - Improving his lead guard skills learning to make others around him better compared to being a shoot first, shoot second, shoot 3rd scorer. Said he has to tell Ryan to shut it and listen more. He's learning and grown a lot since he's arrived here at UConn. A great scorer and a player he can ask to do something in big spots may it be score or stop someone.

Bazz - Said when he came to UConn he was an . LOL. Said he's now developed into a great leader, and an even better person, making those around him better. Said he could have left the progam 2 years ago, could have jumped to the NBA either as a 2nd rounder or even as an undrafted FA and made some NBA team, but he chose loyalty over everything. His mom wants him to get his degree and he's committed to that, as well as leading his team.

Seemed to forget about Omar Calhoun, other than a brief mention about him as part of the talented backcourt.

There was so much more great stuff he said, but that's a quick recap of what I remembered or maybe even mis-remembered. Needless to say, KO loves his team and did a great job of making all who attended the event as an extension of the UConn family.

Sorry we missed you, Stu. When we walked in, they said it was "open seating" but there was a table marked "Emery" to the left of the stage if you were facing it. We had 3 Mikes, 1 Jamie, 1 Stuart/Stewart, and Carlos, aka Huskybass, GemParty, CTMike, Krug, Asuwish (yes, I got the reference earning 5 points), and yours truly.

Nice summary DM, sounds a lot like mine. Great minds and all that.

Reaction Score
Sorry we missed you, Stu. When we walked in, they said it was "open seating" but there was a table marked "Emery" to the left of the stage if you were facing it. We had 3 Mikes, 1 Jamie, 1 Stuart/Stewart, and Carlos, aka Huskybass, GemParty, CTMike, Krug, Asuwish (yes, I got the reference earning 5 points), and yours truly.

Nice summary DM, sounds a lot like mine. Great minds and all that.
I walked around and didn't see any table assignment. I guess I didn't expect they'd give us a table in such a good location. Bummer, I feel I missed out. Oh well. Next time.

Reaction Score
Would write a summary but no point- you guys nailed it. Had fun and look forward to doing it again. We will have to meet up before some games.

Reaction Score
I updated the subject to give the BYers a heads-up that the thread now includes some details on what KO talked about when he addressed the attendees.

Reaction Score
Omar: got skipped, mentioned in passing.

Niels: Captain, always does what was asked and then says "What's next?" Confidence very high after summer on German national team and he is making KO struggle to find time for him. Sees him competing for a starting job while also referring to him as the "glue guy."

I predict that Niels will be a starter this year and Calhoun comes off the bench

Reaction Score
I'm surprised the wasn't more interest in this thread. I wonder if the subject just doesn't catch attention or people don't really care about what KO had to say.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm surprised the wasn't more interest in this thread. I wonder if the subject just doesn't catch attention or people don't really care about what KO had to say.
It may be a read and don't post kind of a thing. Without your comment I wouldn't have posted. Sounds like a great night.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It may be a read and don't post kind of a thing. Without your comment I wouldn't have posted. Sounds like a great night.

Okay. I'll drive more responses.

I read it all. The only thing that caught my mind is the lack of comments about Calhoun. It could be a slip by the coach. Those things do happen.

However, when a player's play forces a coach to pay attention, they don't forget. See Giffey, Niels. Sounds like a powerful message by omission.

I like that there is strong competition in practice. And I like that Samuels, Purvis, Giffey and Kromah will be pushing the starters every practice. Unless it's Samuels, Purvis, Calhoun and Kromah pushing the starters.

Reaction Score
However, when a player's play forces a coach to pay attention, they don't forget. See Giffey, Niels. Sounds like a powerful message by omission.

Thank god. I think our manufactured storylines were starting to dry up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom