Ollie's Dinner - Table Update (Now includes some details on Ollie's speach!) | The Boneyard

Ollie's Dinner - Table Update (Now includes some details on Ollie's speach!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Dogbreath2U (Pd - ck)
CTMike (Pd - ck)
Huskybass (Pd - ck)
Dogmania (Pd - ck)
GemParty (pd - ck)
Glastonhusky +1
Stewart M +1 (Pd - ck)
Jamie K - (Pd via Paypal)

I need each of you to email me your full name, and the name of your guest. Please have "Ollie's Dinner" in the subject line.

tom@emery.net

Can anyone going just confirm the start time for me. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Would like to say hello. Sitting at diff table than you guys. Where are you ??

GemParty

Reaction Score
Will they serve Rolling Rock at our cash bar? Hoping JC stops by our table to say hello.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Looking forward to meeting Yarders again, & listening to Ollie.

GemParty

Reaction Score
See you tonight folks.

Reaction Score
Can't wait for the updates....hope they're not on the police blotter prior to the Boneyard!

GemParty

Reaction Score
See you there! What time will people be arriving?
Shooting for 5, if I get out early maybe a quick beer at Black Eyed Sallys next door to the hotel. I think there's parking behind the hotel. I hope.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Shooting for 5, if I get out early maybe a quick beer at Black Eyed Sallys next door to the hotel. I think there's parking behind the hotel. I hope.
Ha, I had the same thought about a beer at Sally's.

Reaction Score
There should definitely be parking behind the hotel, especially with folks leaving from work right around that time. I prefer parking across from the bus station since it's fenced in, but I'm sure parking behind hotel will be fine.

Shooting for getting there around 5 as well, Sally's sounds good to me. Not sure how I will recognize anyone as I've never met anybody from here, but I am in my late 20's & will be wearing a blue blazer.

Reaction Score
5 ish for me. Sally's beer sounds good. Fishy just texted me, first round is on him.

GemParty

Reaction Score
There should definitely be parking behind the hotel, especially with folks leaving from work right around that time. I prefer parking across from the bus station since it's fenced in, but I'm sure parking behind hotel will be fine.

Shooting for getting there around 5 as well, Sally's sounds good to me. Not sure how I will recognize anyone as I've never met anybody from here, but I am in my late 20's & will be wearing a blue blazer.
Purple dress shirt for me today.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Ollie just got off the podium and holy $/@- I feel like I should run out and do something with my life. Be phenomenal or be forgotten...

Honestly wish I recorded it so I could play it back. Just crazy well spoken and inspiring.

I'll have to think of more tidbits later but it was almost too much to process/remember.

In short, WONDERFUL event, and great meeting a few more Yarders... Nice work by Krugs walking away with some nice silent auction prizes!

Reaction Score
Great event. Loved hearing Donny and KO speak. Nice to meet everyone at the Boneyard table as well. Big thanks to Temery.

KO is very excited about the season. He verified lots of what we have heard or read. I believe he has very high expectations for this squad. He also can't wait for Purvis to be eligible. Said its like having a Ferrari in the garage that you can't drive.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Okay, here is my KO recap on the players: Coach Ollie was introduced by Donny Marshall--a lot of closeness and respect between them. KO said that they did things he can't talk about, they fought, they are the best of friends.

Freshman:
Terrence Samuel: KO sees himself in Terrence, super hard worker.
Kentan Facey: Staying very positive despite uncertainty about playing. From where he comes from, being at UConn is heaven. Loving every minute.
Amida Brimah: Going to be a BIG time shot blocker and another great person. Arm span that goes from one side of the ballroom to the other.
Rodney Purvis: Like having a Ferrari in the garage that you can't drive--big, strong, quick, can shoot from outside, from midrange, and can get to the basket pretty much at will.
He made some cracks about having to get "NC State" out of Rodney.
New player: Lasan Kromah: versatile, can play 2,3,4 if needed. A very smart basketball player, highest b-ball IQ next to Bazz on team.
Sophs:
Phil Nolan: We need a center to claim the spot and for Phil to do so, he needs to let himself feel the emotion, the passion inside him. This is a work in progress for Phil, KO encouraged everyone to tell him to let his emotions out.
Omar: got skipped, mentioned in passing.
Leon: Hard worker, never complains, earned 3.7 gpa, second highest to Shabazz on team. Lost weight and always ready to give his best.
Juniors:
Ryan: Sometimes he just needs to shut-up. Great competitor, never says die, learning to be a better point guard, is listening to the coaches to get better.
Said he's from Chicago, a different place (took this to be a reference to trash talking). Super kid, incredibly quick.
Deandre: a top ten kid coming out of high school, had the natural talent, but not the skill. People were in his ear about transferring prior to last year, but his
father told him "N0," said he came to UConn to get tougher and he was going to stay to do that. Spoke about the huge progress he made and expects great things.
Seniors:
Niels: Captain, always does what was asked and then says "What's next?" Confidence very high after summer on German national team and he is making KO
struggle to find time for him. Sees him competing for a starting job while also referring to him as the "glue guy."
Tyler: KO only wants people of high character on his team and Tyler has has some issues with his choices...came out and labeled issues with alcohol and with women. Sees
him doing better with seeing that his time at UConn is precious and is more serious about making the most of it.
Shabazz: When he first came, he was an "" (laughter). He went on a long time about Shabazz, how he will end up being one of the greatest people to ever go through UConn. He
spoke about how much he has grown as a person and a leader. How he could have left for the NBA and he has no doubt he would have stuck on a team no matter when or if he was drafted.
He spoke about how Shabazz decided to come back to get his degree for his mother and himself. The pride in Shabazz just radiated out of KO.

KO finished by talking about gazelles and lions, how gazelles have to run each and every day to stay alive. No days off or get caught by the lions and die. The lions have to chase and catch the gazelles or starve.
It's life and death and there's no second chances. That's how he sees life and he wants to be, and is one of the lions. He said when he got the head coaching job, he was scared. So he attacked it and does not want to waste a single moment in trying to be the best he can be.

--KO was awesome, said we are all family (so he can share things) when he made comments about Boat needing to shut-up or Bazz being an "" as a freshman. Going down 11 flights of stairs, I heard older guys in suits talking about how KO can stay as long as he wants.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Thanks Tom! It was a great night, I look forward to attending again. Thanks to everyone who met at Black Eyed Sally's, I enjoyed meeting and talking UConn hoops with you.

Reaction Score
Thanks Db2u.....nice summary!! Almost like I was there minus the Sam Adams......lol

Reaction Score
I'm sorry I missed some of the Yarders. Tried to find DB2U or Tom E but couldn't locate either. I did catch up with Glastonhusky and sat at his table.

The event didn't disappoint. I hung on every word KO said tonight. There are so many words that describe him. Positive, believer in people, giver of second chances, receiver of second chances, humble, mentor, friend, and the list goes on.

He had a lot of great things to say about each player.

Daniels - uber-talented coming in. Now has learned to develop his skills now. He considered leaving but his Dad didn't want any part of that. Told him to finish what he began there. Went from getting little play his freshman year to being one of the most underrated, talented and now skilled player in the nation. Sounded like he expect huge things from Daniels.

Samuel - The biggest surprise so far. Reminds him of himself. Great at pushing the ball but needs to improve his jumpshot. Said that will come by his junior or senior year.

Brimah - The next great Husky shotblocker. Has arms that just go and keep on going.

Giffey - Playing great making it hard for him to decide who will start. Does whatever KO asks without questioning. He's UConn utility player (baseball ref).

Olander - Has to make the most of his second chance. Wants him make the most of his last season and mature as a person more than as a basketball player.

Facey - Couldn't stop talking about how good a person he is. Even as he's dealing with his uncertain eligibility, he's often lifting KO up compared to the reverse. Seems to believe he's going to be a great player someday and is greatly needed this season for his rebounding and paint defense among other things.

Nolan - Needs to play with emotion. Will step out and knock done mid-range Js. Needs to play tough inside and rebound. Pump fisted for the first time the other day...or was it today. Said it was a big step as far as playing with intensity.

Kromah - Like Giffey, has a lot of position flexibility. Will help play anywhere from the 2 through 4, if I remember correctly. Toughness!

Tolksdorf - Hard worker often seeks KO out for extra time on working on his shot. Seems PT will be tough to come by but KO will try to work him in. He's shooting the ball very well.

Boatright - Improving his lead guard skills learning to make others around him better compared to being a shoot first, shoot second, shoot 3rd scorer. Said he has to tell Ryan to shut it and listen more. He's learning and grown a lot since he's arrived here at UConn. A great scorer and a player he can ask to do something in big spots may it be score or stop someone.

Bazz - Said when he came to UConn he was an . LOL. Said he's now developed into a great leader, and an even better person, making those around him better. Said he could have left the progam 2 years ago, could have jumped to the NBA either as a 2nd rounder or even as an undrafted FA and made some NBA team, but he chose loyalty over everything. His mom wants him to get his degree and he's committed to that, as well as leading his team.

Seemed to forget about Omar Calhoun, other than a brief mention about him as part of the talented backcourt.

There was so much more great stuff he said, but that's a quick recap of what I remembered or maybe even mis-remembered. Needless to say, KO loves his team and did a great job of making all who attended the event as an extension of the UConn family.

Reaction Score
Nice job DB. Funny how we pretty much had the same things to say. Sorry that I missed you. Looked around for you, but to no avail. Catch you next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom