Ollie?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ollie??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Trust me, Ollie ain't the problem. Anyone can see that.
Even a poker pro can't win with a bad hand.

Reaction Score
You're confusing issues. Yeah, Boatright missed a reverse after tweaking an ankle, but how does that have anything to do with Ollie teaching them focus or discipline? We led 20-9 early and didn't finish around the rim when we could have extended it. Finishing plays isn't on the coach.

There is one thing maybe we can say about coaching - we had 3 straight terrible possessions after we tied the game in the second half. Maybe we needed a TO after the first one - or some sort of better direction from the sidelines. Even then, we lost the loose ball that led to the Leslie garbage dunk when we had a chance to get the ball down 3. We still might have had a chance to pull it out with that one loose ball (Boat lost it).

But even if you hold that against KO, it is with the benefit of hindsight. One of those bad possessions saw Napier back-rim a tough 3 that he sometimes makes. If that went in, then it would be only one bad possession.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

There were multiple poor decisions made by Boatright in the 1st half when we had a lead. Yes. I think Ollie can contribute a lot to teaching these guards how to run the offense and not to drive and wish.

Reaction Score
I want the DD that was dunking over dudes on MSU, not bricking 3s vs everyone else.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I want the DD that was dunking over dudes on MSU, not bricking 3s vs everyone else.
He had back spasms this game. I'm hoping that was his main issue.

Reaction Score
wish we won and fun game to watch... I personally think NCST is a lot better than people think - mark my words. I wish to god we won but I am very happy with many of the players and the ones who made mistakes will get better and have an upside. still looking forward to a good season here although this would have been a good one. DD had 2 rebounds and boat had no FT? wow....

we missed alot of bunnies tonight and were a bit unlucky. I think Giffey needs to be on the floor always and RJ needs to play alot more - I know he is coming off an injury. RJ had 3 tips on defense and OC had none. Tipped balls are key to team defense and being in passing lanes. RJ is a great off screen cutter and has the ability to create passing lanes and always provides movement in the half court set. FACT. KFreeman needs to get on TO and get some toughness back in that boy. Giffey and Wolfe are the only players who really box out. Again, when we ran sets we created good shots. I said wolfe would have 15 points this year and everyone on the chat laughed at me.. I think 20 now. he has alot of confidence and doesn't panic with the ball. made one bad outlet pass on a steal but he has been great. Never see TO and Wolfe out there though.

we had some great offensive sets there and when we ran plays we had success - good effort against a top front court team. On to the next game... we are improving and we are inbetween msu and this game... and improving...

Reaction Score
There were multiple poor decisions made by Boatright in the 1st half when we had a lead. Yes. I think Ollie can contribute a lot to teaching these guards how to run the offense and not to drive and wish.

If you take Boatright out of attack mode, we have no offense (other than what Napier can generate). A lot of the open looks we got at 3's that built our lead started with Boat getting into the lane. Now when you attack, law of averages means a couple possessions will go poorly - but we clearly couldn't run plays to get the ball into Daniels or Calhoun's hands tonight. It was all Bazz and Boat (and whatever Wolf could provide as a bonus).

In that 4-22 stretch in the first half, we had good chances, and they were spread out. Evans didn't finish a couple times with easy ones (and had a third blocked), Napier missed at the rim once (and had another blocked) and missed a clean look at a 3, Omar missed a chippy (and chucked an air ball and a bad three), Wolf had a contested layup roll off, Daniels front-rimmed an open three, Giffey missed on a curl, and yes, Boat had three or so misses in there too (the reverse lay-up and a missed bank shot in the paint spring to mind).

But we hit the half and I honestly thought that other than a couple freshman moments from Omar, and our last possession of the half which was terrible, we were doing well on the offensive end. Just the lack of talent - and perhaps nagging injuries with Evans and Boat as a factor - was keeping us from being up by 10 or more. I never really thought in real time that coaching was even remotely an issue tonight, until perhaps that 6-0 late run when it felt like maybe we needed more sideline direction - but even that happened so fast (and was a Napier 3 away from being a non-issue).

Reaction Score
I hope your children aren't as simple as you are. Ollie has brought the program ' to the water' with the talent available. We are simply watching some/all of them drink. Considering your post as HuskyDad you should realize that children don't quite 'get it' until several months after an issue is initially discussed.

I'm personally confident that this group will gel this season. KO will coach the sh#t out of the talent available , and he WILL make a rather tasty 10 toes in lemonade that all true fans will happily consume.

Reaction Score
they played hard out there tonight... and they play as a team and KO is clearly in control and respected by the players. there is no show boating or BS (not that we ever had much of that) but its a TEAM for sure.

my only complaint was no Time out at 3 minutes left in the first half. and i think he is still learning about the personal. We are talented though and Giffey and RJ are better than people think , IMO.

Reaction Score
they played hard out there tonight... and they play as a team and KO is clearly in control and respected by the players. there is no show boating or BS (not that we ever had much of that) but its a TEAM for sure.

my only complaint was no Time out at 3 minutes left in the first half. and i think he is still learning about the personal. We are talented though and Giffey and RJ are better than people think , IMO.

We had already burned our "use it or lose it" timeout earlier in the first half when we couldn't get the ball inbounds. Can't waste another one in the first half of a close game.

Reaction Score
If you take Boatright out of attack mode, we have no offense (other than what Napier can generate). A lot of the open looks we got at 3's that built our lead started with Boat getting into the lane. Now when you attack, law of averages means a couple possessions will go poorly - but we clearly couldn't run plays to get the ball into Daniels or Calhoun's hands tonight. It was all Bazz and Boat (and whatever Wolf could provide as a bonus).

In that 4-22 stretch in the first half, we had good chances, and they were spread out. Evans didn't finish a couple times with easy ones (and had a third blocked), Napier missed at the rim once (and had another blocked) and missed a clean look at a 3, Omar missed a chippy (and chucked an air ball and a bad three), Wolf had a contested layup roll off, Daniels front-rimmed an open three, Giffey missed on a curl, and yes, Boat had three or so misses in there too (the reverse lay-up and a missed bank shot in the paint spring to mind).

But we hit the half and I honestly thought that other than a couple freshman moments from Omar, and our last possession of the half which was terrible, we were doing well on the offensive end. Just the lack of talent - and perhaps nagging injuries with Evans and Boat as a factor - was keeping us from being up by 10 or more. I never really thought in real time that coaching was even remotely an issue tonight, until perhaps that 6-0 late run when it felt like maybe we needed more sideline direction - but even that happened so fast (and was a Napier 3 away from being a non-issue).

Good post. Huskies were down by 4 @ 59-55 with 2:29 left in the game. This turned out to be the most important possession of the game. DD was called for a traveling turnover. I noticed the facial expression on the face of Bazz after that play when looking at KO. I think in that spot it could reasonably be argued that it was a good time for a time out. Designing a play securing that the ball was in the hands of Bazz to create may very well have been the prudent move in retrospect. On the next possession a Leslie dunk put it back to 6 with 1:57 remaining. Boat then responded with a 3 to cut the lead to three with 1:57 left. It turned out to little to late and I think that possession was a turning point for an end game situation.

KO is great and already has earned a long term at least 3 year deal. The guys busted their as**** all night. A true credit to the character of Kevin Ollie and the players.

Reaction Score
Granted they were a little out of control at times, but I think the main reason they lost was NCST pounding the offensive glass and getting a lot of layups and second chances underneath. When the game was ties at 53 and we had the ball I thought we had a shot, but then we turned it over and they ran off 6 straight and that was it. I for one am more than pleased with Ollie's work so far.

Reaction Score
Ollie is the real deal. Yes we lost but UConn played much much harder than NC State. Man that team is loaded with talent!! They have McD's off the bench. The team and Ollie left it all on the court. Ollie gets an A+ from what I witnessed in MSG. NC State is a FF talent

Reaction Score
Good post. Huskies were down by 4 @ 59-55 with 2:29 left in the game. This turned out to be the most important possession of the game. DD was called for a traveling turnover. I noticed the facial expression on the face of Bazz after that play when looking at KO. I think in that spot it could reasonably be argued that it was a good time for a time out. Designing a play securing that the ball was in the hands of Bazz to create may very well have been the prudent move in retrospect. On the next possession a Leslie dunk put it back to 6 with 1:57 remaining. Boat then responded with a 3 to cut the lead to three with 1:57 left. It turned out to little to late and I think that possession was a turning point for an end game situation.

KO is great and already has earned a long term at least 3 year deal. The guys busted their as**** all night. A true credit to the character of Kevin Ollie and the players.

Oy. That Leslie dunk was off a miss -- and we had the ball in our hands on the defensive rebound as everyone was running back upcourt. Boat had it poked away back through his legs. Awful luck (and maybe a little lack of concentration/ball toughness from Boat). Then that curl screen/dump down pass to the and one/offensive rebound off the FT miss killed too much clock for us to get the ball back with much of a chance.

Reaction Score
NCState was picked to win the ACC, no shame in losing to them by 4. If we didn't blow a bunch of layups we might have had this. KO deserves a few years to show what he can do.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Not really loving what I am seeing. Kids seem off and not sharp. Is this what we are signing up to?

On a side note. I will celebrate when Dickie V is no longer. He has ruined so many basketball games.

after i fight warde one of these days in the parrking lot behind the xl, i want your ass next. i'm 5'9 180 and i am the nastiest mother fucker under the moon with a couple shots and a pissed off attitude.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This was a reaction post. I have always liked Ollie. I actually have spent time with him before. Great guy. The Boatright play and Olander and DD was just so frustrating to watch. I would play Nolan and Wolf as much as possible. I would keep Olander at the 4 all game. Wolf can be decent if he gets the time. Olander could hold down the 4 for decent minutes. DD is not doing great. He seems to digress starting at his apex in Summer Ball every year and then during the year gets worse.
You buried yourself. Stupid thread stupid way to try and save your as s

Reaction Score
If Calhoun stepped down after 2011 and Ollie took over last year's team they would have gone back to the Final Four if not repeated.

That's pretty funny stuff........not sure if you or HuskyDad are more delirious?

caw

Reaction Score
You're confusing issues. Yeah, Boatright missed a reverse after tweaking an ankle, but how does that have anything to do with Ollie teaching them focus or discipline? We led 20-9 early and didn't finish around the rim when we could have extended it. Finishing plays isn't on the coach.

There is one thing maybe we can say about coaching - we had 3 straight terrible possessions after we tied the game in the second half. Maybe we needed a TO after the first one - or some sort of better direction from the sidelines. Even then, we lost the loose ball that led to the Leslie garbage dunk when we had a chance to get the ball down 3. We still might have had a chance to pull it out with that one loose ball (Boat lost it).

But even if you hold that against KO, it is with the benefit of hindsight. One of those bad possessions saw Napier back-rim a tough 3 that he sometimes makes. If that went in, then it would be only one bad possession.

I do think a TO might have helped, but the lost ball was just the ball getting away from Boatright, he didn't even dribble it. I'm not sure a TO would have helped at all there.

Boatright is pressing, he's trying to do to much and is getting frustrated and not playing as well as he can. He reminds me a lot of sophomore Kemba.

Reaction Score
I do think a TO might have helped, but the lost ball was just the ball getting away from Boatright, he didn't even dribble it. I'm not sure a TO would have helped at all there.

Boatright is pressing, he's trying to do to much and is getting frustrated and not playing as well as he can. He reminds me a lot of sophomore Kemba.

Yeah - I muddled my point there. Boat lost the ball a couple minutes later. The 3 bad possessions were us standing around until Boat had his shot blocked as the 35 second clock was about to expire, Napier shooting an off balance 3 late in the shot clock, and Daniels getting picked trying to cross over a guard. All led to NC State points the other way

Reaction Score
Husky Dad,

Forget it. Doesn't matter what actually happens. The official position of the boneyard, which may not be violated, is this "Ollie is doing a great job." Other rules you must abide by include:
Recruits love Ollie. But they won't come to UConn because he only has a 1 year deal. so when he whiffs with a recruit it is Warde Manuel's fault.
Jim Calhoun bears no responsibility for the current state of the program.
The NCAA is out to get UConn.

Do not under any circumstances violate these rules.

caw

Reaction Score
Husky Dad,

Forget it. Doesn't matter what actually happens. The official position of the boneyard, which may not be violated, is this "Ollie is doing a great job." Other rules you must abide by include:
Recruits love Ollie. But they won't come to UConn because he only has a 1 year deal. so when he whiffs with a recruit it is Warde Manuel's fault.
Jim Calhoun bears no responsibility for the current state of the program.
The NCAA is out to get UConn.

Do not under any circumstances violate these rules.

Every recruit that UConn has whiffed on has said they love Ollie. I don't know if the contract situation is directly linked to losing recruits, but I do think it's foolish to think it doesn't play a role.

Reaction Score
What will it take to give Ollie his extension already? The players and recruits have plenty of respect for him. Ollie learned under plenty of masters. He tutored superstars in the NBA. What else the does Manuel want?!

Reaction Score
Are you kidding? This UConn team is almost devoid of any returning or top frontcourt talent and has now beaten one top 25 team, lost to one by 6 and will lose to the other by 6 at most. I'm not sure what you are expecting.

So on the football board we have talent but we don't have coaching. On basketball board we have coaching but we don't have talent. What a situation we find ourselves in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom