Ollie?? | The Boneyard

Ollie??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not really loving what I am seeing. Kids seem off and not sharp. Is this what we are signing up to?

On a side note. I will celebrate when Dickie V is no longer. He has ruined so many basketball games.

caw

Reaction Score
Not really loving what I am seeing. Kids seem off and not sharp. Is this what we are signing up to?

On a side note. I will celebrate when Dickie V is no longer. He has ruined so many basketball games.

Are you kidding? This UConn team is almost devoid of any returning or top frontcourt talent and has now beaten one top 25 team, lost to one by 6 and will lose to the other by 6 at most. I'm not sure what you are expecting.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily winning but discipline and sharpness. Its just not there.

Reaction Score

too soon to say , this team really has nothing other than shabazz and boatright. Omar is a freshman and needs to assert himself. This team ISNT playing for anything. No NCAA or big east tournament. Give ollie more time and a team he actually has a fair shot to win with

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
What a TERRIBLE post. Your posting skills are less impressive than our defensive rebounding.

Are you kidding me dude? We just took a top-25 team, the #1-ranked team in the ACC, down to the wire. With a bad mid-major frontcourt.

You need to get a grip.

caw

Reaction Score

Ever think the other team played some damn good defense when it needed to and was just too much under the hoop. The plays are sharp, the defense is sharp, the problem is that every team knows only Boatright and Napier can consistently score the ball. They doubled Napier and Boatright off of almost every PnR. When the other team doesn't fear the bailout pass, they can do that. If Calhoun/Daniels/Giffey can't hit open shots and Wolf/Olander can't roll to the hoop or hit the pick and pop the defense doesn't have to respect anyone.

People in here make it seem like UConn has lost to scrub teams this year. NCST and NM are legit top 25 teams. UConn is probably about 30-35th at best. The fact they are that high is solely because Ollie is getting the kids to buy in.

Reaction Score
Its not about NC State. I am saying that when we had a lead in the first Boatright played like crap and gave away 5-8 points with terrible drives. Then a lot of misses on Defensive position. And, Evans needs to layoff the cafeteria. Love his spirit but damn you cant play d one ball in that shape. Just seems like we could play better. Forget the competitor as a team we could play better.

caw

Reaction Score
Its not about NC State. I am saying that when we had a lead in the first Boatright played like crap and gave away 5-8 points with terrible drives. Then a lot of misses on Defensive position. And, Evans needs to layoff the cafeteria. Love his spirit but damn you cant play d one ball in that shape. Just seems like we could play better. Forget the competitor as a team we could play better.

I agree, they could have made some layups they missed but you have to recognize that NCST changed their defensive scheme in the second half and UConn didn't have the weapons to do anything about it.

Reaction Score
Are you freaking kidding me, we have Bazz and Boatright and that's pretty much it. This is one of the least talented teams we've ever had. Don't get me wrong there is some talent but Daniels is a year away from being really good, needs strength and work on his handle. Omar has talent but clearly isn't ready. I really like Wolf but when he is your third best player some nights it shows what you have. Ollie isn't Superman, we lost because NC State is a million times better than us down low. The effort was great but it's extremely hard when you have 2 offensive players that are 6'0 and 5'10 and no frontcourt.

caw

Reaction Score
I will say, overall the team does play excellent defense. They even have a lot of good movement off the ball. They just have no one that can make shots consistently aside from Napier/Boatright and Boatright was missing today.

Reaction Score
We have a weak front court. What exactly would you do differently?

Reaction Score
with what kevin ollie is stuck with he should have a contract extension and only way uconn will win games is from guard play since we have no front court

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Ever think the other team played some damn good defense when it needed to and was just too much under the hoop. The plays are sharp, the defense is sharp, the problem is that every team knows only Boatright and Napier can consistently score the ball. They doubled Napier and Boatright off of almost every PnR. When the other team doesn't fear the bailout pass, they can do that. If Calhoun/Daniels/Giffey can't hit open shots and Wolf/Olander can't roll to the hoop or hit the pick and pop the defense doesn't have to respect anyone.

People in here make it seem like UConn has lost to scrub teams this year. NCST and NM are legit top 25 teams. UConn is probably about 30-35th at best. The fact they are that high is solely because Ollie is getting the kids to buy in.
Excellant post. KO was forced to sub in RJ for OC because OC was freshman lost. The entire time RJ was in the game his player gave him at least ten feet and helped out against SN and RB. If Uconn had JL at the wing its a totally different ball game. IMO, sophomore RB running the point is doing a much better job than sophomore KW. But he's still a sophomore.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm sure the OP was thinking the same thing when we jumped out to an 11 point lead, huh? Sure he was...

Good, hard performance by the team overall. We had a few too many bad shots and a few too many turnovers, and the pressure and venue of the game likely had something to do with it, especially for a young and relatively inexperienced team. The team is progressing and getting better, which ultimately is the sign of a good coach. Period.

Reaction Score
I think by the end of the year, you are going to see a team with 4 scorers (Napier, DD, Calhoun, Boatright), a big man that has developed from nothing to be a decent division 1 center (Wolf), and lots of hope for next year.

I think Olander is a lost cause, 3 years in and still hasn't learned to box out.....so I would hope they live with the mistakes and give Nolan minutes

Reaction Score
If Calhoun stepped down after 2011 and Ollie took over last year's team they would have gone back to the Final Four if not repeated.

Reaction Score
You're confusing issues. Yeah, Boatright missed a reverse after tweaking an ankle, but how does that have anything to do with Ollie teaching them focus or discipline? We led 20-9 early and didn't finish around the rim when we could have extended it. Finishing plays isn't on the coach.

There is one thing maybe we can say about coaching - we had 3 straight terrible possessions after we tied the game in the second half. Maybe we needed a TO after the first one - or some sort of better direction from the sidelines. Even then, we lost the loose ball that led to the Leslie garbage dunk when we had a chance to get the ball down 3. We still might have had a chance to pull it out with that one loose ball (Boat lost it).

But even if you hold that against KO, it is with the benefit of hindsight. One of those bad possessions saw Napier back-rim a tough 3 that he sometimes makes. If that went in, then it would be only one bad possession.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
This was a reaction post. I have always liked Ollie. I actually have spent time with him before. Great guy. The Boatright play and Olander and DD was just so frustrating to watch. I would play Nolan and Wolf as much as possible. I would keep Olander at the 4 all game. Wolf can be decent if he gets the time. Olander could hold down the 4 for decent minutes. DD is not doing great. He seems to digress starting at his apex in Summer Ball every year and then during the year gets worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom