Olivia Nelson-Ododa | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Olivia Nelson-Ododa

Reaction Score
Hopefully UCONN is getting ONO tomorrow. She doesn't have to be on UCONN's campus until June 2018 at the earliiest and I'll be glad to have her there if she chooses UCONN. Not the least bit concerned about her condition today.
I like Boston fine , I love ONO. Keep in mind that if UCONN does not get a 2018 (Ezi or ONO) post player, as many as 2 players from the class of 2019 will have to step into the starting line up as Freshmen post.

True. Worst comes to worst we are loaded at impact guard play. We will know soon enough on Ono. What's your gut say?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
True. Worst comes to worst we are loaded at impact guard play. We will know soon enough on Ono. What's your gut say?
My gut is saying 55-45 UConn with SC the 45. She, unlike CW may not even decide until she stands up at the mike.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My gut is extremely biased and hoping that the UCONN staff has done a good enough job of convincing ONO of a vision that @Sluconn Husky was the first to see more than 2 years ago. The Vision: In the UCONN system ONO will absolutely be a star of the highest magnitude.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Olivia lives only 25 miles from the Georgia campus. That seems to be the one thing that favors Georgia. It's certainly not basketball.

I'm hopeful. I'm sure that Olivia was impressed by both Geno and CD.

Reaction Score
My gut is extremely biased and hoping that the UCONN staff has done a good enough job of convincing ONO of a version that @Sluconn Husky was the first to see more than 2 years ago. The Vision: In the UCONN system ONO will absolutely be a star of the highest magnitude.

She seems like a wonderful person. Very bright and articulate. She would be a great addition to the campus.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
When a coach gets a verbal from a 17 year old kid as UCONN did from Collier or from a 14 year old kid as Texas did from Collier the coaches should act like adults and treat it as a verbal- BTW Geno did. Collier is not the first player to change her mind about playing at UCONN. Geno was asked about this in the interview where he wearing a camoflouge UCONN logo cap to honor veterans. I have seen Geno more iritated by a missed layup in practice than he was in his answer about the Collier de-commitment. I'm sure Geno wishes Collier well.

We certainly read his mood differently then. So be it.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Looks like announcement/signing will be at her school at 1pm EST. Streaming available

Three D-I signees from the same HS team? It's the Duncanville of Georgia.

Reaction Score
I think it helps us. They visited together in October, they play different positions, and CW increases the chances of ONO playing on a championship team.

On Twitter, ONO follows 399 people. In WCBB, she follows scattered players here and there, 2018 commits to schools and the like. Of interest, she follows Dawn Staley (no Geno) and A'ja Wilson. She lists a 2018 commit to each of Stanford, Georgia, FSU, South Carolina and Duke. However, for UConn she follows Crystal, Azura, Mikayla, Meghan and Christyn. By far the most for one program.

Reaction Score
There are two stereotypes some UConn fans apply to recruits who choose to go elsewhere.

1. Ego. She wants to be the big star of a team, which she couldn't be with the emphasis on teamwork at UConn.

2. Laziness. She doesn't want to work as hard as Geno makes you work.

Outside observers rightfully object to these stereotypes, and it can't be emphasized too often here, that there are a host of other reasons a player might decide to go elsewhere.

By now no rational student of the game would deny that UConn has the best women's college basketball program in history, and plenty of other attractions as well.

But that's obviously not the whole story for a given recruit. Yes, there may be some who fit one of the stereotypes, but for every one of those there are many others motivated by geography (easier attendance in person by family and friends; home front comfort zone; climate), parents' wishes; relationships with coaches or other players; general or specialty academics, and the list goes on.

UConn will (in Geno's time, and maybe beyond) get outstanding players and mold them into excellent members of excellent teams. That's good enough.

Many other superb athletes, including those UConn would like to have signed, will form the competition. There's no basis blithely to assume there's anything wrong with them for having passed on the opportunity to come to Storrs.

Thank you for this. There are players UConn has missed out on for very good reasons that have nothing to do with their laziness or attitude. A recruit has to find the best situation for them. It could be UConn, it could be someone else.

Reaction Score
On Twitter, ONO follows 399 people. In WCBB, she follows scattered players here and there, 2018 commits to schools and the like. Of interest, she follows Dawn Staley (no Geno) and A'ja Wilson. She lists a 2018 commit to each of Stanford, Georgia, FSU, South Carolina and Duke. However, for UConn she follows Crystal, Azura, Mikayla, Meghan and Christyn. By far the most for one program.

ahhhhhhh........another twitter detective like myself.........and your very thorough analysis leads you to believe????

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Worth noting Geno took down his Twitter account a long while back because it was hacked and only reopened one recently to promote his new podcast, but in addition to those listed above ODO also follows both Chris Dailey and Morisa Moseley of the UCONNWBB coaching staff And Lexi Gordon as well from the team.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Worth noting Geno took down his Twitter account a long while back because it was hacked and only reopened one recently to promote his new podcast, but in addition to those listed above ODO also follows both Chris Dailey and Morisa Moseley of the UCONNWBB coaching staff And Lexi Gordon as well from the team.

ahhhhhhh...another twitter detective like myself....and your very thorough analysis leads you to believe????

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So based on this I'd say she's definitely headed to Kennesaw State because she can't resist the opportunity to play Maryland every year.

Reaction Score
Agree completely that there are lots of reasons why players decide to go elsewhere. And, as you frame it--ego and laziness--I'm sure outside observers would readily object. I would hope that even insider observers would object.

Just to point out that one way to frame it is "ego". Another is simply wanting more playing time or having parents who want to make sure you're the star of the team (and therefore have a better professional future).

And one way to frame it is "laziness." Another is that some players just don't want to commit quite so much single-minded effort as they see UConn players devote. Maybe on their campus visits they perceive--rightly or wrongly--that other teams are more relaxed and have more fun in practice. Maybe they think that Geno is too harsh on his players.

So, while the two ideas are ballpark similar, IMO there's enough latitude in each to allow Boneyarders to believe that a lot of players who turn down UConn do so because they want more playing time or more prominence (not necessarily ego) or they want a more relaxed environment (not necessarily lazy).
Basketball is a GAME, we usually play games for FUN. Some see the game as a stepping stone, others as a means to some kind of stardom (prominence). As we look around the teams Uconn play s you can see every kind; some successful some not.
If my grand daughter had the talent to play at Uconn: I'd advise her to not accept their offer. Life is too short; enjoy the FULL experience, remember only a very thin few make the or stay in the Wnba or Europe.
And I am a Uconn Fan for a long, long, long time..

Reaction Score
Basketball is a GAME, we usually play games for FUN. Some see the game as a stepping stone, others as a means to some kind of stardom (prominence). As we look around the teams Uconn play s you can see every kind; some successful some not.
If my grand daughter had the talent to play at Uconn: I'd advise her to not accept their offer. Life is too short; enjoy the FULL experience, remember only a very thin few make the or stay in the Wnba or Europe.
And I am a Uconn Fan for a long, long, long time..
Every students has their own set of preferences for their college experience. Most students have a circle of friends, be it dorm related, frat sorority related, or sports team related, etc. It's all good.

Some students just study and are obsessed with grades, some spend every spare moment playing cards, others use the freedom to drink to excess. Some place basketball above all other activities. Advising a student not to do what they want to do is not a good thing in my opinion. UCONN players get to experience many unique opportunities during their 4 years. Required basketball time is limited by rules. What is accomplished during the allowed time is what makes the difference. Unless they choose to spend their free time with basketball related activities, they have plenty of time to pursue other activities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom