Olivia Nelson-Ododa | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Olivia Nelson-Ododa

JS

Reaction Score
On the other hand, she may wish to be the superstar of " her own" team. The latter choice is not the type of player UCONN wants, anyway. So, if she selects UCONN, we can be fairly confident it is for the right reasons. Similarly, if she goes elsewhere it will be for reasons that make her a bit unsuited for UCONN.
There are two stereotypes some UConn fans apply to recruits who choose to go elsewhere.

1. Ego. She wants to be the big star of a team, which she couldn't be with the emphasis on teamwork at UConn.

2. Laziness. She doesn't want to work as hard as Geno makes you work.

Outside observers rightfully object to these stereotypes, and it can't be emphasized too often here, that there are a host of other reasons a player might decide to go elsewhere.

By now no rational student of the game would deny that UConn has the best women's college basketball program in history, and plenty of other attractions as well.

But that's obviously not the whole story for a given recruit. Yes, there may be some who fit one of the stereotypes, but for every one of those there are many others motivated by geography (easier attendance in person by family and friends; home front comfort zone; climate), parents' wishes; relationships with coaches or other players; general or specialty academics, and the list goes on.

UConn will (in Geno's time, and maybe beyond) get outstanding players and mold them into excellent members of excellent teams. That's good enough.

Many other superb athletes, including those UConn would like to have signed, will form the competition. There's no basis blithely to assume there's anything wrong with them for having passed on the opportunity to come to Storrs.

Reaction Score
There are two stereotypes some UConn fans apply to recruits who choose to go elsewhere.

1. Ego. She wants to be the big star of a team, which she couldn't be with the emphasis on teamwork at UConn.

Outside observers rightfully object to these stereotypes, and it can't be emphasized too often here, that there are a host of other reasons a player might decide to go elsewhere.

By now no rational student of the game would deny that UConn has the best women's college basketball program in history, and plenty of other attractions as well.

But that's obviously not the whole story for a given recruit. Yes, there may be some who fit one of the stereotypes, but for every one of those there are many others motivated by geography (easier attendance in person by family and friends; home front comfort zone; climate), parents' wishes; relationships with coaches or other players; general or specialty academics, and the list goes on.

UConn will (in Geno's time, and maybe beyond) get outstanding players and mold them into excellent members of excellent teams. That's good enough.

Many other superb athletes, including those UConn would like to have signed, will form the competition. There's no basis blithely to assume there's anything wrong with them for having passed on the opportunity to come to Storrs.
U

Two thoughts or more on your post: 1. I'm pleased you did not that the APPARENT high road and dismiss the possibility some may not want to do the work of a Uconn Recruit 2. Ego--while some think this is a negative and an insult to a player, either coming or not, it is a attribute Geno actually likes; kids who think enough of their ability to perform at a higher level --case in case, DT. Once Stew got her ego back she became STEW. Geno too likes the swagger along with doing as they are told, again DT (of course there are others like Sveta etc).

The most often spouted and highly true is: UCONN/GENO IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. Like me and 340,000,000 other they really don't need a reason to not select Uconn or any school. As in selecting the right person for the right job--it is often a DE-selection process.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Agree. I've never seen the point in disparaging kids who decide to go elsewhere. I'd rather spend my time appreciating the kids are here.

The hybrid are kids like Nat Butler who contribute here but make the choice to move on. I find myself still following and rooting for them. They're still part of the extended family.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
And there is a certain small population of players whom UConn recruited and (at the time) would have loved to sign, but they went elsewhere and soon had Geno and the assistant coaches breathing a sigh of relief that they didn't come to UConn. I assume that it isn't necessary to name names ...

If a player chooses not to come to UConn because she wishes to play with more stylistic freedom and without the expectation that she will fit into a fixed system, that is a valid reason for her choice. If such a player were to come to UConn (and I can't recall that has ever occurred), it is safe to predict that neither she nor the coaches will be very happy with each other for very long.

I am not suggesting that there is any reason to think that ONO is in that category.

Reaction Score

I disagree that we would think it must ego or laziness. I think it simply comes down to priorities. Basketball wise there is simply not any greater opportunity than UCONN, so if it was about basketball it would be an easy choice. Other priorities may be part of the decision like wanting to be closer to home while believing there is an opprtunity nearly as good as UCONN, a consideration of academics and the chance to attend a higher rated university, a personal connection with a coach or staff or maybe a family situation that would keep a player closer to home. What is clear is that UCONN is THE choice for a highly motivated player that is willing to embrace the hard work and sacrifice to take advantage of the greatest basketall opportunity available.

Reaction Score
If you truly believe there are better post in 2019 than ONO then I don't what to tell you.

I don't know if there are? What ONO are we getting? If you know her true current physical condition then I don't know what to tell u. Has she even played competitive horse yet? A pick up game?

Do u not like Boston?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Fantastic post that nails it.

Charlie Collier is the latest example. She changed her mind and decided to stay closer to home. There is nothing wrong with that. Family should be that important.

We get our fair share of the top players. The difference always has been and always will be Geno and Company's ability to develop this talent into a juggernaut.

If ONO decides UConn - great! If not, we move on. Its life.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Charlie Collier is the latest example. She changed her mind and decided to stay closer to home. There is nothing wrong with that.

She changed her mind three times. When a coach gets a verbal from a top player, it tends to close out recruiting at that position. A subsequent change of mind just screws things up, both for the coaches AND for other recruits. Better not to make the verbal if you’re not SURE. And yes, I know we are talking about an 18 year-old here. I am no way bitter at Collier. She did what she thought she had to do. But “there’s nothing wrong with that?” Yeah, there is. Ask Geno.

Last edited by a moderator:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
She did tear a patella ligament, however.

She changed her mind three times. When a coach gets a verbal from a top player, it tends to close out recruiting at that position. A subsequent change of mind just screws things up, both for the coaches AND for other recruits. Better not to make the verbal if you’re not SURE. And yes, I know we are talking about an 18 year-old here. I am no way bitter at Collier. She did what she thought she had to do. But “there’s nothing wrong with that?” Yeah, there is. Ask Geno.[/QUOTE]
My math says she changed her mind twice-she verbally committed to Texas while in 8th grade, met with Geno and changed her mind on Texas and committed to UConn last year (1st time), then a few weeks ago changed her mind a second time to stay home in Texas, back to her original choice. 2 Times. Nothing is final until signed. Again, that is the rule and it’s ok. Stop the illogic. Coaches deal with this a lot in all sports and in life.
What sort of worries me on this forum is the “black/white” mentality of “with us” or you are wrong for not wanting to be with us”. It’s ok for kids to play elsewhere even if we recruit them. It doesn’t mean they don’t want to work hard (does anyone really think A’ja Wilson doesn’t work hard under Staley.) or wants to be a star of their “own” team. Vibe, school feel (remember the concept of the education?) how far from home for families to come and watch, etc. All is contemplated AND IT SHOULD BE. Give these young ladies a benefit of the doubt, wish them well, move on to the next and should we play them, be nice but WIN!
Nothing more, nothing less.

Reaction Score
I totally respect recruits who choose not to come to UConn. For those who get offers and we go after them hard and they decline, I harbor no resentment (as long as you didn't change your mind at the last minute - or AFTER the last minute - and screw up our recruiting plan).

BUT - you're either with us or against us. Expect to get your butt kicked when you play us.

Reaction Score

Agree completely that there are lots of reasons why players decide to go elsewhere. And, as you frame it--ego and laziness--I'm sure outside observers would readily object. I would hope that even insider observers would object.

Just to point out that one way to frame it is "ego". Another is simply wanting more playing time or having parents who want to make sure you're the star of the team (and therefore have a better professional future).

And one way to frame it is "laziness." Another is that some players just don't want to commit quite so much single-minded effort as they see UConn players devote. Maybe on their campus visits they perceive--rightly or wrongly--that other teams are more relaxed and have more fun in practice. Maybe they think that Geno is too harsh on his players.

So, while the two ideas are ballpark similar, IMO there's enough latitude in each to allow Boneyarders to believe that a lot of players who turn down UConn do so because they want more playing time or more prominence (not necessarily ego) or they want a more relaxed environment (not necessarily lazy).

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I think she's going to either Georgia or South Carolina as I've heard she'd like to be close to home. FSU is somewhat close, but Tallahassee isn't the easiest place to get to.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't know if there are? What ONO are we getting? If you know her true current physical condition then I don't know what to tell u. Has she even played competitive horse yet? A pick up game?
Do u not like Boston?
Hopefully UCONN is getting ONO tomorrow. She doesn't have to be on UCONN's campus until June 2018 at the earliiest and I'll be glad to have her there if she chooses UCONN. Not the least bit concerned about her condition today.
I like Boston fine , I love ONO. Keep in mind that if UCONN does not get a 2018 (Ezi or ONO) post player, as many as 2 players from the class of 2019 will have to step into the starting line up as Freshmen post.

Reaction Score
I think she's going to either Georgia or South Carolina as I've heard she'd like to be close to home. FSU is somewhat close, but Tallahassee isn't the easiest place to get to.

Wilson to ONO has to be in the back of her head. Even tho South Car has a few good young post, they are all about the same size and more power forwards, getting ONO who looks to be about 6'6 would help them a tone, but she would have to earn her playing time Dawn doesn't just hand out starting jobs.

Reaction Score
Hopefully UCONN is getting ONO tomorrow. She doesn't have to be on UCONN's campus until June 2018 at the earliiest and I'll be glad to have her there if she chooses UCONN. Not the least bit concerned about her condition today.
I like Boston fine , I love ONO. Keep in mind that if UCONN does not get a 2018 (Ezi or ONO) post player, as many as 2 players from the class of 2019 will have to step into the starting line up as Freshmen post.
Touly should still be around, wouldn't be shocked to see her and Gordon or her and Irwin starting in 2019, atlest to start the season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
FYI.......

River Baldwin a 6'5" post from Pleasant Home H.S. (AL) class 2019 has committed to Florida State. Not sure if this has any bearing on ONO's future plans.
River Baldwin committed to Florida State back in February 2017.
Florida State signed 6'3" post player Valencia Meyers last week. Meyers is a former USA basketbal U16 caliber player and ONO would be the 6th 2018 signed by FSU.
Don't see FSU even placing in the ONO sweepstakes tomorrow.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Touly should still be around, wouldn't be shocked to see her and Gordon or her and Irwin starting in 2019, atlest to start the season.
Camara might not be around by then so UCONN could be looking at 1 upper classman post in Irwin.

Reaction Score
Charlie Collier is the latest example. She changed her mind and decided to stay closer to home. There is nothing wrong with that.

She changed her mind three times. When a coach gets a verbal from a top player, it tends to close out recruiting at that position. A subsequent change of mind just screws things up, both for the coaches AND for other recruits. Better not to make the verbal if you’re not SURE. And yes, I know we are talking about an 18 year-old here. I am no way bitter at Collier. She did what she thought she had to do. But “there’s nothing wrong with that?” Yeah, there is. Ask Geno.

if not for the hurricane that hit Texas, I think there is a very good chance that Charli would be a UConn commit today..............perhaps she would end up being a transfer a year or two down the road so maybe things worked out for the best.......

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Fantastic post that nails it.

Charlie Collier is the latest example. She changed her mind and decided to stay closer to home. There is nothing wrong with that. Family should be that important.

We get our fair share of the top players. The difference always has been and always will be Geno and Company's ability to develop this talent into a juggernaut.

If ONO decides UConn - great! If not, we move on. Its life.
if not for the hurricane that hit Texas, I think there is a very good chance that Charli would be a UConn commit today....perhaps she would end up being a transfer a year or two down the road so maybe things worked out for the best..

When a coach gets a verbal from a 17 year old kid as UCONN did from Collier or from a 14 year old kid as Texas did from Collier the coaches should act like adults and treat it as a verbal- BTW Geno did. Collier is not the first player to change her mind about playing at UCONN. Geno was asked about this in the interview where he wearing a camoflouge UCONN logo cap to honor veterans. I have seen Geno more iritated by a missed layup in practice than he was in his answer about the Collier de-commitment. I'm sure Geno wishes Collier well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom