Olivia Nelson-Ododa | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Olivia Nelson-Ododa

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Every students has their own set of preferences for their college experience. Most students have a circle of friends, be it dorm related, frat sorority related, or sports team related, etc. It's all good.

Some students just study and are obsessed with grades, some spend every spare moment playing cards, others use the freedom to drink to excess. Some place basketball above all other activities. Advising a student not to do what they want to do is not a good thing in my opinion. UCONN players get to experience many unique opportunities during their 4 years. Required basketball time is limited by rules. What is accomplished during the allowed time is what makes the difference. Unless they choose to spend their free time with basketball related activities, they have plenty of time to pursue other activities.
This is generally not the case for high major programs like UCONN. The required basketball time may be limited as you state but the rules only specify a " maximum supervised amount of time=minimum". To successfully compete at one of these high level programs doing the minimum will not cut it. For example, those 6:00 AM weighting lifting sessions typically do not count against the NCAA weekly practice time. It's not that these players don't want to attend the parties, typically their pillow is calling your name just about the time the party is getting started. Your typical freshmen, even if underage, might risk going to the party because the next morning they can skip a class or sleep off a hangover in class. That is not an option for these players.

Reaction Score
Basketball is a GAME, we usually play games for FUN. Some see the game as a stepping stone, others as a means to some kind of stardom (prominence). As we look around the teams Uconn play s you can see every kind; some successful some not.
If my grand daughter had the talent to play at Uconn: I'd advise her to not accept their offer. Life is too short; enjoy the FULL experience, remember only a very thin few make the or stay in the Wnba or Europe.
And I am a Uconn Fan for a long, long, long time..
Yeah, why strive and work to be great at something when you can settle and be mediocre? SMH

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Basketball is a GAME, we usually play games for FUN. Some see the game as a stepping stone, others as a means to some kind of stardom (prominence). As we look around the teams Uconn play s you can see every kind; some successful some not.
If my grand daughter had the talent to play at Uconn: I'd advise her to not accept their offer. Life is too short; enjoy the FULL experience, remember only a very thin few make the or stay in the Wnba or Europe.

Yeah, why strive and work to be great at something when you can settle and be mediocre? SMH
SMH, at people shaking their heads about advising their own grand children.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Daylight Savings time ended last week. It's 12:23 PM EDT as it write this from GA.
Yea, but isn't there a part of Georgia that sticks out into the Atlantic ocean and should that be on a separate time zone?
Wait! That would put that part of Georgia 1 hour ahead, or is it behind?

never mind.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco, you seem to have a thing with time today. I'm posting this just for you:

All and all your just another brick in the wall. :D I am just tying to burn off some nervous energy here!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
All and all your just another brick in the wall. :D I am just tying to burn off some nervous energy here!

I'm sure that extra hour of waiting is a killer. Try decaf!!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I totally respect recruits who choose not to come to UConn. For those who get offers and we go after them hard and they decline, I harbor no resentment (as long as you didn't change your mind at the last minute - or AFTER the last minute - and screw up our recruiting plan).

BUT - you're either with us or against us. Expect to get your butt kicked when you play us.

How it should be!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't know what time it is where you are, but Decaf not going to do anything for me.
Or me. I'm here in NYC so, 2:00 it is then.

Reaction Score

A close friend's daughter played for a Patriot League program. I don't think the hours she put in differed much at all from the hours at UConn. And all of their travel consisted of long bus rides as opposed to charter flights. There clearly is a difference in the quality of play and the intensity of the practices, but not much difference in terms of hours.

I also had two kids who played D1 soccer at smaller programs. Based on conversations with many players/parents, I don't think their total hours, including conditioning and weigh training, was any different than at UConn.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Wait, she announcing in NYC?
You know we NY-ers think everything is about us.

The Boneyard has just started to ask whether I want to like a post.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The lady's goal is to be a doctor. I think the opportunity to get into a good med school is a major part of her decision

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The lady's goal is to be a doctor. I think the opportunity to get into a good med school is a major part of her decision
That's a very admirable goal which she can achieve by picking UCONN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom