Official UCONN vs Stonybrook prediction thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Official UCONN vs Stonybrook prediction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I predict that no matter what the outcome of the game is, how well or poorly the players play, how well or poorly the coach makes his decisions, someone will find cause to complain for the entire week.

Edit: and those people that complain will claim to know more and how to do it better than the entire coaching staff

BTW; 38-13 UCONN

Reaction Score
This is my take:
Eventual Goal: win championships.
Where we are in the PROCESS...possible objectives of this Saturday .
-No mental mistakes,
-50 players will see the field
-Setting up for Boise game.
_QB split time at 75/25...not 55/45.
--Linebackers vast improvement from game 1 as a unit.
-O line continued improvement

View from the cheap seats:
-Breakout game in number of touches for Arkeel.
-Mariner does some damage.
-Breakout games for TE's as a group.
-2 pics by the secondary.

Our young Husky pups 21
Stony Brook 17

Reaction Score
Stony Brook is a bad 1AA team. By the looks of things we are a bad 1A team. When a bad 1A team meets a bad 1AA team, the 1AA team SHOULD win handily. But Bob might be more interested in making sure everyone gets a participation medal, and who knows, he might think there is some benefit to be gained in letting Whitmer play nose tackle and defensive ends share quarterbacking duties, so I don't want to predict this one with any degree of certainty.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Scooter, I gave you a like above for creativity even though I disagree with your sentiment. It is well played, sir.

Reaction Score
23-21 SB. When you coach the game like an exhibition you won't win. Puyol will miss a long fg as time expires. Whitmer will throw a pick in the red zone, hopefully ending the qb carousel. When you play the 2's and 3's you can't win against 1's, even an FCS team. UConn doesn't have the depth yet. At least the Coach said what he wants to do, so will set my sights on conference games. FWIW I hope they run the ball 50 times on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Stony Brook is a bad 1AA team. By the looks of things we are a bad 1A team. When a bad 1A team meets a bad 1AA team, the 1AA team SHOULD win handily. But Bob might be more interested in making sure everyone gets a participation medal, and who knows, he might think there is some benefit to be gained in letting Whitmer play nose tackle and defensive ends share quarterbacking duties, so I don't want to predict this one with any degree of certainty.

What a quack. This season is all about conference wins. Sure it would have been great to beat BYU but it wasn't going to happen. They have a chance against Boise St. Diaco is getting these kids game ready. He's getting them game reps not just practice reps in case their number is called in the heat of battle. They should beat Stony Brook. An AAC conference title is what Diaco is shooting for in year 1. He's building confidence, ensuring every player that will see the field can read and react in game situations under duress and pressure. Hard to do just getting practice reps. This is still a new football team to him. He is seeing what he has at all positions on the football field. To develop talent, these kids must play. I don't agree with the QB set, but I am ok with everything else I have read, heard and seen.

Reaction Score
What a quack. This season is all about conference wins. Sure it would have been great to beat BYU but it wasn't going to happen. They have a chance against Boise St. Diaco is getting these kids game ready. He's getting them game reps not just practice reps in case their number is called in the heat of battle. They should beat Stony Brook. An AAC conference title is what Diaco is shooting for in year 1. He's building confidence, ensuring every player that will see the field can read and react in game situations under duress and pressure. Hard to do just getting practice reps. This is still a new football team to him. He is seeing what he has at all positions on the football field. To develop talent, these kids must play. I don't agree with the QB set, but I am ok with everything else I have read, heard and seen.
That's fine. You can throw a parade for everything you have seen. I have no problem with that. I am very disappointed with what I saw in the BYU game. Specifically, what bothers me more than anything is the sense that Diaco didn't approach that game as if he wanted to win. One can do that and still build for the future. It is not in my view an either/or situation.To look at a game and say we can't win so let's not bother preparing, let's treat it as an exhibition raised questions with me about his commitment to winning and about his judgement. You're fine with it. Ok. Different opinions. But answer this. What benefit did we get from changing from Cochran to Whitmer in the first drive of the 3rd quarter? Whitmer has started a bunch of games, including games against nationally ranked opponents and games on the road so one would presume he won't panic if he has to go in. And what would build more confidence, giving BYU a game or getting blown out of the stadium?

Reaction Score
That's fine. You can throw a parade for everything you have seen. I have no problem with that. I am very disappointed with what I saw in the BYU game. Specifically, what bothers me more than anything is the sense that Diaco didn't approach that game as if he wanted to win. One can do that and still build for the future. It is not in my view an either/or situation.To look at a game and say we can't win so let's not bother preparing, let's treat it as an exhibition raised questions with me about his commitment to winning and about his judgement. You're fine with it. Ok. Different opinions. But answer this. What benefit did we get from changing from Cochran to Whitmer in the first drive of the 3rd quarter? Whitmer has started a bunch of games, including games against nationally ranked opponents and games on the road so one would presume he won't panic if he has to go in. And what would build more confidence, giving BYU a game or getting blown out of the stadium?

Diaco is the coach. He said he and his staff believed that moved offered them the best chance to put points on the board. Ok it didn't work out. I wasn't happy with it, nor agree with it, but he's the coach. He sees these kids everyday in practice. He knows his team better than any of us do. This team will continue to improve from week to week and I believe so will Diaco and staff at play calling, preparation etc. Again it was the first game. Diaco is seeing what he's got and at that moment he believed Whitmer gave them the best chance to score. It didn't work out so it appears there was no benefit. If it works out, were not having this conversation.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
17-14 UConn. Whitmer throws 2 picks, 1 in the red zone stalling a Cochran drive. The QB circus ends when Diaco transfers from Clown University.

Reaction Score
I don't see UConn's offense scoring 30 with all the shuffling Diaco has promised and I don't see Stoney Brook scoring more than 10, if they even score 10. They could only muster 7 vs Bryant and UConn's D is a lot better. Now I'm not saying the final score won't be 30+ for UConn but if so it will most likely be due to 1 or 2 defensive TD's. I can't see Stoney Brook's QB beating UConn's D-Backs deep because I see too much pressure on him but if it happens, especially early in the game..... oh boy I can already hear the moaning and groaning.

Reaction Score
UConn 39 - SB 3.

I have a feeling that the defense is going to have a bounce-back type of performance, especially without having to worry about the QB's legs. I'm not sure if the offense will put up 39 points, but there is no way in hell that I was going to put a smaller number on the board than Jimmy already did... ;)

I don't think we're going to see as much personnel movement this week. I'm hoping RD has culled the herd to some extent and that personnel ins/outs will look more like the BYU second half. As an aside, I think participation will be further reduced for Boise. I also think this will be reflected on the scoreboard.

Other than that, I wonder if SB takes the long way, using the Throgs Neck or Whitestone; or if they use one of the ferries? It's a burning question.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I don't think anyone wants to throw a parade for the BYU game (You at least have to make the Adams Division Finals for that), but I don't think you should be disappointed in what you saw with in the BYU game. You saw players who checked out as recently as 10 months ago be engaged in their jobs and with each other. Minus the 1st quarter, they played a pretty decent game (one big plus would be for Clax to keep his hands to himself and his controlled aggression in check...Still a great name for a fullback...). I understand your frustration about the preparation comment, but after what we fans have experienced over the last few years, I think he deserves a benefit of the doubt or two.

One has to wonder how the two first quarter turnovers affected the 'game plan."

Reaction Score

Not sure of your quack comment. I think the man feels like a lot of folks that realize how hard it is to get top level competition to come into what might be a trap game or at least a competitive one. It takes years to get games like this on the schedule and to use it for practice makes no sense at all. I like Bob but that and the three game waste is mind boggling! We are not in a conference that matters as much as big out of conference games.
Maybe he will set our world on fire and be the guru we are looking for, I don't know, but for now he has sure peed off the season ticket fan base. Then again he may gain us a new fan base with the practice game specials!
http://web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/mail?app=mail#10
I find it hard to believe any coach at this level making this kind of money can't figure out who the starting QB should be. Then go on to embarass us on national tv.....Just say'n...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom