Official Boston Red Sox Thread - 2023 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Official Boston Red Sox Thread - 2023

Reaction Score
Sounds like maybe he's a corner OF then. I don't want a so so defender up tbe middle. I saw some 22 vs 23 highlights and he seemed like he showed a lot more power in 22. Need to unlock that 22 version.
Seemed like he was ticketed for LF until the Braves traded for Kelenic this offseason. You run into the issue that a) his arm is below average even for second, and b) a corner OF spot puts way more pressure on his bat developing.

The best chance for value is keeping him at second and hoping he can improve his defense to be acceptable there (assuming he can hit). He showed a decent amount of power when he first got called up in 2022 and has shown pretty good pop in the minors. The big issue is MLB pitching adjusted to him quickly and his counter-adjustment seems to have been turning into a slap hitter. There’s potential there for him to be a solidly above average offensive 2B. Just gotta get him mentally there with his approach.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm just hoping one of these days, a "good deal" for the Red Sox involves a deal where the Sox get the best player invoved instead giving him up. But at least Breslow is making moves. You have to start somewhere.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm just hoping one of these days, a "good deal" for the Red Sox involves a deal where the Sox get the best player invoved instead giving him up. But at least Breslow is making moves. You have to start somewhere.
I think they did. Sale may bounce back, but you’re not getting many innings out of him before he breaks down again. Grissom is regarded as an MLB ready top prospect and a + RH bat with athleticism. I‘m confident he can be an average defender at 2B. The trade analysis I saw described it as a “massive overpay” by Atlanta. Filled a need on top of it. Two needs really, because if Sale is one of your starters, you need six.

Reaction Score
Grissom was bounced around by Atlanta, playing mostly at shortstop but he's actually played more 3rd base than second. If he's given a chance to focus on one position he's got the athleticism and skills to be a decent defender at 2nd. His actions need to be repeatable and consistent, which is hard for some players, particularly if they are moved around. Not everyone is cut out to be a utility player. With his bat, that's the only obstacle to being an above average second baseman.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Grissom was bounced around by Atlanta, playing mostly at shortstop but he's actually played more 3rd base than second. If he's given a chance to focus on one position he's got the athleticism and skills to be a decent defender at 2nd. His actions need to be repeatable and consistent, which is hard for some players, particularly if they are moved around. Not everyone is cut out to be a utility player. With his bat, that's the only obstacle to being an above average second baseman.
I think the Sox agree.

Reaction Score
He hasn’t played 3B in the pros above A-ball (until the PR league this offseason). The vast majority of his time in the minors was spent at SS, his first stint in the majors was at 2B (Albies injury in ‘22) and then this past year at SS (Arcia injury). He was expected to be the everyday shortstop for ATL this past season and spent the entire offseason working on his defense, a lot of it with Ron Washington, but just couldn’t handle it defensively and lost out to Arcia.

He’s definitely got the athleticism to develop into an average defender at second. The skills are the question. Really hope he figures it out for you guys, was clearly very well liked by his Braves teammates and the bat has real potential at second.

Reaction Score
He hasn’t played 3B in the pros above A-ball (until the PR league this offseason). The vast majority of his time in the minors was spent at SS, his first stint in the majors was at 2B (Albies injury in ‘22) and then this past year at SS (Arcia injury). He was expected to be the everyday shortstop for ATL this past season and spent the entire offseason working on his defense, a lot of it with Ron Washington, but just couldn’t handle it defensively and lost out to Arcia.

He’s definitely got the athleticism to develop into an average defender at second. The skills are the question. Really hope he figures it out for you guys, was clearly very well liked by his Braves teammates and the bat has real potential at second.
You are right. I was looking at his minor league stats last year when I heard a rumor that the Sox might try to acquire whoever didn't win the job in Atlanta (when Story was out and both middle infield positions were a black hole in the Sox lineup). It must be nice to accumulate so many middle infielders that a guy like Dansby Swanson can leave and still have a logjam on the roster. After A-ball, which with the way he shot through the minors goes way back to 2022, Grissom hasn't played third. The problem is that they had him pegged as a potential Swanson replacement so he played primarily at shortstop (which I think everyone now sees was mistake), but he also spent time at second and third, so he was never really settled. If they had made him a second baseman from day one, which with hindsight is clearly his best chance to become a regular in the infield, he would have had a better chance for the repetition to develop into a reliable defender. What little I actually saw of him play it seemed he would make a good play followed by a bad one. That tells me he's got the raw potential to become a regular, but he lacks the necessary confidence and consistency. The Sox apparently have faith that he can do it, but it should make for an interesting spring training and start of the year. Fans may need to be patient.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are right. I was looking at his minor league stats last year when I heard a rumor that the Sox might try to acquire whoever didn't win the job in Atlanta (when Story was out and both middle infield positions were a black hole in the Sox lineup). It must be nice to accumulate so many middle infielders that a guy like Dansby Swanson can leave and still have a logjam on the roster. After A-ball, which with the way he shot through the minors goes way back to 2022, Grissom hasn't played third. The problem is that they had him pegged as a potential Swanson replacement so he played primarily at shortstop (which I think everyone now sees was mistake), but he also spent time at second and third, so he was never really settled. If they had made him a second baseman from day one, which with hindsight is clearly his best chance to become a regular in the infield, he would have had a better chance for the repetition to develop into a reliable defender. What little I actually saw of him play it seemed he would make a good play followed by a bad one. That tells me he's got the raw potential to become a regular, but he lacks the necessary confidence and consistency. The Sox apparently have faith that he can do it, but it should make for an interesting spring training and start of the year. Fans may need to be patient.
I think it’s a very good gamble by the Red Sox. Sale has little value with his contract and injury history and even if he bounces back well, doesn’t fit into their competitive window. Turning a guy like that, even with eating the money, into someone who at least has the upside of a solid regular at a premium position with 6 years of team control is a good outcome. I think the most likely scenario is that both fanbases look back on this trade with apathy but there is definite upside for both sides.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Seems like a great move by your new GM. Can we borrow him?:cool:
Some fans are freaking out that he has a directive to stay under the tax threshold. Well they went over it last year and it gets more punitive every year you are over. If Baltimore and Tampa can win way under it, the Sox can win 8 million below it. This is the year to be better, maybe compete for a wild card, but a real contending team is at least another year away when the studs in the minors come up.

There are times to move prospects and overpay and times to be patient. It's the latter right now for Boston. The biggest challenge the team has had involves developing young starting pitchers. They haven't been able to really, since Lester. Bloom was hired because Tampa is so good at it. He didn't solve it, so a former pitcher and pitching coach like Breslow brings hope. The Yankees face even more pressure to win now, but I honestly think they need a re-set at some point. The approach isn't working. The Royals have a more recent World Series win.

Reaction Score
Sox were under it for 2023, but stupidly over it for 2022. Totally agree - if I'm an owner I'm telling my GM if we can't stay under the tax and compete for championships by only spending 220 million then I'll find a GM who can.
It's not about the money it's about being punished on consecutive years where your draft slot and international free agent money gets dinged.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom