Official Boston Red Sox Thread - 2023 | The Boneyard

Official Boston Red Sox Thread - 2023

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Spring training is underway, so time to kick this off. It's going to be an interesting season, very hard to predict. Perhaps no player is more of a question mark than Yoshida. Many thought the Sox overpaid for him, but they needed a guy who can get on base at a high rate and there wasn't much in free agency. So far, overwhelmingly positive.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Pitching will be a rollercoaster just begging to come off the tracks. Kluber, Sale, and Paxton are all over 34, and have a significant injury in their recent past. Bello is an unknown, but with upside. and Whitlock is a glorified long reliever.

Only Pivetta seems reliable, yet he is not a No. 1, let alone a needed ace. The bullpen cannot go more than 3 innings 5 nights a week.

I recognize 3 names in the projected bullpen and one of them is Ryan Brazier. That might be an issue, particularly if no one emerges in Worcester or Portland.

Alas, hope springs eternal.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Pitching will be a rollercoaster just begging to come off the tracks. Kluber, Sale, and Paxton are all over 34, and have a significant injury in their recent past. Bello is an unknown, but with upside. and Whitlock is a glorified long reliever.

Only Pivetta seems reliable, yet he is not a No. 1, let alone a needed ace. The bullpen cannot go more than 3 innings 5 nights a week.

I recognize 3 names in the projected bullpen and one of them is Ryan Brazier. That might be an issue, particularly if no one emerges in Worcester or Portland.

Alas, hope springs eternal.

The bullpen is really strong. That's where they spent in free agency bringing in a legit closer and set-up man. Brazier may be the worst guy in the whole pen.

Sale is an ace. Maybe he'll stay healthy. Pivetta is solid and Bello looks good. Kluber eats innnings, that's his role. 31 starts last year. He's back from his injury. Whitlock is interesting. He has starter stuff but hasn't shown he can do that yet. Houk is listed as a starter too, and has electric stuff but has mostly shown it in relief.

Team is built to be good on the basepaths and take advantage of the new rules. They may be better than people expect. Duvall would ideally be a 4th OF, not starting in CF. If we can get Story back, Kike can return to CF. If Jaren Duran actually figures out how to catch the ball and hit at this level, that could really change this team. But that's a big if.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The bullpen is really strong. That's where they spent in free agency bringing in a legit closer and set-up man. Brazier may be the worst guy in the whole pen.

Sale is an ace. Maybe he'll stay healthy. Pivetta is solid and Bello looks good. Kluber eats innnings, that's his role. 31 starts last year. He's back from his injury. Whitlock is interesting. He has starter stuff but hasn't shown he can do that yet. Houk is listed as a starter too, and has electric stuff but has mostly shown it in relief.

Team is built to be good on the basepaths and take advantage of the new rules. They may be better than people expect. Duvall would ideally be a 4th OF, not starting in CF. If we can get Story back, Kike can return to CF. If Jaren Duran actually figures out how to catch the ball and hit at this level, that could really change this team. But that's a big if.

I've seen Houck coming out of the Pen. I've always like Jansen, but he's also getting long in the tooth. Sale is tough. His injuries over the last few seasons gives me significant pause.

The team this year is full of ifs. A strong start will be important.

Reaction Score
This almost has a 2013 feel to it. But I can’t imagine this team doing what they did in 2013.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bloom traded Jeffery Springs to the Rays for a bag of balls and a used fungo bat. Is there any evidence that this guy knows what he's doing?

Reaction Score
Well he did sign Duvall to a cheap contract when other GMs had the chance and didn’t.
Of course now it looks like Duvall hurt his wrist yesterday after starting as one of the hottest hitters in MLB.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well he did sign Duvall to a cheap contract when other GMs had the chance and didn’t.
Of course now it looks like Duvall hurt his wrist yesterday after starting as one of the hottest hitters in MLB.
We're taking victory laps because a guy had a good week?

Reaction Score
No victory lap, I’m just answering your question with a fairly recent answer. Through spring and first 10 games he was looking like the pre-injury Duvall who had a huge year with the Braves, right?

He also signed Devers to what looks like a good long term deal compared to what other older players are getting.

Also once he gets healthy again the Whitlock deal will look like a long term bargain for the team.

Bloom took over when the team was a fiscal mess and the farm system didn’t have much coming up.

Now the farm is better and he has put the team in position to make a huge move on Ohtani. I’d be surprised if the team doesn’t at least try to make a big offer. They did sign Yoshida and they have the money to throw at Ohtani if they want.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No victory lap, I’m just answering your question with a fairly recent answer. Through spring and first 10 games he was looking like the pre-injury Duvall who had a huge year with the Braves, right?

He also signed Devers to what looks like a good long term deal compared to what other older players are getting.

Bloom took over when the team was a fiscal mess and the farm system didn’t have much coming up.

Now the farm is better and he has put the team in position to make a huge move on Ohtani. I’d be surprised if the team doesn’t at least try to make a big offer. They did sign Yoshida and they have the money to throw at Ohtani if they want.
They were criticized for Yoshida, but so far that looks like an excellent pick up. Duvall was probably a bargain.

I don't really understand the "throw money at guys in FA" fans. It seldom works. Tampa still hasn't lost a game. San Diego is 6-4 a half game better than Boston. Resigning Devers was a pretty big expenditure. The minors are loaded with middle infielders.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He signed Devers because John Henry said "Make It So". That was good. But man, the talent leaving the Sox is so much greater than the talent coming in. And he threw money at Story and Yoshida. One was a total waste, one may work; both total overpays. I don't trust his evaluations.

Reaction Score
He signed Devers because John Henry said "Make It So". That was good. But man, the talent leaving the Sox is so much greater than the talent coming in. And he threw money at Story and Yoshida. One was a total waste, one may work; both total overpays. I don't trust his evaluations.
Story’s career isn’t over. When he was healthy he as good defensively as any 2b. Let’s not bury him yet. If this team can get close to fully healthy by August - including Duvall with his broken wrist - it could be a good team.

They haven’t traded their young talent away and have a ton of financial flexibility in the upcoming years. Not all is lost.

Husky25

Reaction Score
A franchise like the Red Sox should rarely be concerned with "financial flexibility."

Reaction Score
Is there any way to watch Red Sox games for free when you've cut the cord and use YouTube TV? Is my only recourse to subscribe to the NESN app?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Is there any way to watch Red Sox games for free when you've cut the cord and use YouTube TV? Is my only recourse to subscribe to the NESN app?
So it seems. I'm in the same situation. I would suggest we perhaps complain frequently to NESN about the absurd cost of the app.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Of course there are "ways."

Husky25

Reaction Score
The East is a gauntlet again this season. At 9-9 in the early going, Boston would be in 2nd place in three of the other five divisions.

"[You can] find anything on The Web..." - Dominic Toretto, The Fast and the Furious

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This team is about what I expected. Good, not great, scrappy, finds ways to win ball games. The division is ridiculous, and the less unbalanced schedule is showing it.

Reaction Score
It’s early but Sale and Kluber are killing them so far. Yes it didn’t take a genius to see they might be in the 4-5 ERA range early on.
But both with an 8 ERA? Damn.

Sale going from filthy stuff and location to no swings and missing location could be a byproduct of all his injuries and maybe he gets more feel of things as he gets more innings and the weather warms up. Also Cora basically said it’s likely he was tipping pitches the way they were all over everything.

If they can remain in contention thru the end of June, Duvall and Story could be big time adds to the lineup.

Reaction Score
Weird one tonight against the Orioles giving up GS in eighth but holding on for win. Hopefully Yoshida starting to hit.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The story tonight and in fact the last week is Jarred Duran. Kid is finally hitting like they thought he would a couple years ago.
I think everyone had written Jarren off. The rules change helps him. No shift. Bigger bags. His elite speed is a weapon the way the game is being played. I think he's finally not a liability in the OF. His speed should make him a + defender, but he was terrible at reading the ball off the bat. I'd been rooting for him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom